WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Need Ideas For First Section Hike

Ok, to my all-knowing AT gurus- I'm an AT n00b needing some help planning a section hike, and I am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of info. Here are the parameters of my trip:

1- Trip is Easter Weekend
    2- Want to arrive/start hiking around noon Friday and be back on the road to Eastern NC no later than 1pm Monday afternoon.
    3- there is a SMALL possibility I may be able to arrive Thursday at noon. Departure time on Monday still stands.
    4- prefer to camp vs using shelter, but would like to camp near or at shelters if possible (so I can meet all the great people & learn a few things)
    5- I have decided to not bring my dog, so she won't be a factor
    6- will have ample resupply in my truck, so an out & back in one direction, back to start point, then an out & back in the opposite direction would work too
    7- Hiking the AT is the sole purpose of the trip, so I want as many miles as possible to be on the AT, but I'm willing to use loop trails as well if necessary

Now the locations I'm looking at starting/visiting:

1- anywhere between Roan High Knob & Marion, VA. I PREFER the Grayson Highlands SP/ Mt. Rogers and the Roan Mtn areas, but whatever I don't hit this trip I'll definitely get to on the next one

I'm looking for a hike that won't break me off day one, but will get me the most "bang" for my "buck" as far as terrain & views go. This is my 1st AT section hike, so if you route me straight up a mountain for 5 hours it may negatively impact my future hikes, lol!

But seriously, any info & opinions you guys can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

To maintain good trail karma, I plan on bringing some Trail Magic to drop off wherever sounds like a good spot when I leave or relocate- I'll take suggestions on that as well!

Journal Entries

It would really help to know how far per day you can hike or at least how much weight you plan to carry, what kind of shape you are in.

If I were you, I would grab a the A.T. Guide book, plan out how many miles you want to hike in a day, spend the night and hike back to your truck the next day. It's all about finding easy access roads (good parking places) along the trail.

If you want to take the "plunge". Find a stretch of the trail that you want to hike,(figure out how many miles you can hike carrying your backpack with enough food etc.) arrange a shuttle to your starting point & hike to your truck.

This is too simple, right? The hard work is all in the planning. The hiking is fun!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    It would really help to know how far per day you can hike or at least how much weight you plan to carry, what kind of shape you are in.
    Well, I PLAN on doing 8-12 miles per day, but that would honestly depend on the terrain. Right now I'm training with 35-39 pounds, but plan on paring that down to 25.. I'm in average shape for a 42 yo woman, but when I overdo it my body lets me know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    If I were you, I would grab a the A.T. Guide book, plan out how many miles you want to hike in a day, spend the night and hike back to your truck the next day. It's all about finding easy access roads (good parking places) along the trail.

If you want to take the "plunge". Find a stretch of the trail that you want to hike,(figure out how many miles you can hike carrying your backpack with enough food etc.) arrange a shuttle to your starting point & hike to your truck.

This is too simple, right? The hard work is all in the planning. The hiking is fun!
    Oh , I have both books for TN/NC & SW VA. The thing that gets me is, my "training hikes" here w/ a 35-40 lb load are probably NOTHING compared to actually walking with 25-30 on the trail. My elevation gain today was 200ft in 2 miles- can't replicate AT terrain in the NC Sandhills at all.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Well, I PLAN on doing 8-12 miles per day, but that would honestly depend on the terrain. Right now I'm training with 35-39 pounds, but plan on paring that down to 25.. I'm in average shape for a 42 yo woman, but when I overdo it my body lets me know.
    Come a little farther north and join us! DeerHunter and Furlough are starting early out of Harpers Ferry then joining us.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/grou...=67&do=discuss
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Oh , I have both books for TN/NC & SW VA. The thing that gets me is, my "training hikes" here w/ a 35-40 lb load are probably NOTHING compared to actually walking with 25-30 on the trail. My elevation gain today was 200ft in 2 miles- can't replicate AT terrain in the NC Sandhills at all.
    Got ya! I would plan on doing 6-9 mile days starting out, less if the elevations are tougher on any given day. If your pack weight is distributed properly in your pack & the weight is on your hips.. you'd be surprised how far you can hike without much effort.

You need good hiking shoes to support your feet carrying that much weight as well. (My pack weighs about 25lbs fully loaded) I don't mind carrying the weight with proper hiking shoes & backpack.

Images

I PREFER the Grayson Highlands SP/ Mt. Rogers !
    Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers is a good first area to experience the AT. Absolutely beautiful, epic views, cool craggy rock outcroppings, wild ponies, many many options for loops hikes, out and back,,, or you can do a section hike from Grayson Highlands to Damascus. Grayson was where I first touched the AT! I started my official Section Hike of the AT the next year,,, now w/ over 800 miles complete. Grayson is still my favorite part of the AT! Whatever you do, HYOH, and have fun!!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

My wife and I did I-40 (Standing Bear Farm hostel, actually) to Hot Springs one Thanksgiving weekend, which is about the distance you want. If she could do it, you can. Easy start point, transportation-wise. You get to climb Snowbird Mountain right off, plus you get to do Max Patch, one of the best-known AT mountains. AND you get to finish in Hot Springs, a great "trail town," where we would recommend soaking in one of the hot springs hot tubs.

It's about 32 miles total, none of it really bad, especially if you've been practicing/conditioning.

Plus, Curtis at Standing Bear Farm shuttled our vehicle to Hot Springs for us, often a really important consideration.

And, if you'd like to see more people, hike it southbound.

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 04-03-2014 at 10:45.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

First, expect to be hiking with the thru-crowd and weekend crowds around this time south of Damascus. So be prepared to camp away from shelters. Or hike north of Damascus. Already heard that Erwin is a hot mess of the thru crowd.

With Graysons/Damascus, you can loop hike the AT/horse trails/Iron Mtn/Pine Mtn Trail/Creeper and such. The terrian here is very rocky. But south of Graysons is pretty smooth tread and switchbacks.

South of Damascus has some of the least amount of looping opportunities until the Hot Springs/Smokies area. Either you will have to do an in&out hike or longer hike with shuttle pick up/drop off.

The Holston & Iron Mtn ridgelines are some what the easiest terrian. Rolling ups and downs but long distances between road crossings.

One idea for a loop is park at Kincora at Dennis Cove. Walk the AT south to Bitter End road. Jump over to the less used Laurel Fork Trail (requires fording knee deep water, minimally maintained trail and you will need a map) and walk back to Dennis Cove campground/Kincora.

If you want isolation, then you may want the MST south of Grandfather to Linville Gorge.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 04-03-2014 at 11:51.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the info. I've decided to do Sect 43 Elk Garden/VA 600 - Grayson Highlands - Fox Creek/VA 603. This way I can simplify the trip, by starting at the State Park, heading NOBO to Old Orchard Fox Creek on day 1, looping back SOBO to Mt Rogers/Deep Gap/Thomas Knob day 2, doubling back NOBO to the overnight parking/camping day 3, and day 4 I can hit either end that I didn't cover 100% on my way out.

I'll only have to carry 2 days worth of food (resupply from vehicle morning of day 3) & can slack pack from VA 600-Deep Gap & back & VA 603-Old Orchard & back if need be.

I'm totally looking forward to seeing the ponies and getting some great photos!

Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe Shenandoah National Reeds Gap NB.. Might be alot of fun for a start.

++ New Posts ++