WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Drone crash near A.T.

Just south of Swatara Gap, PA

http://www.witf.org/news/2014/04/military-drone-crashes-near-fort-indiantown-gap.php

This will be an ever increasing problem as civilians get drones and fly them everywhere. Already we have 80,000 or 90,000 metal tube jets roaring across the sky over the TN and NC mountains but I foresee a time soon to come when civilians will have their drones flying over wilderness areas and the AT and the mountains with their noise and little gopro cameras. Sure, you can camp and pretend it's primitive, but the sky above you is ruined.

Can we have them make food drops at shelters? New buisness oppertunity for Amazon Hello Drone delivery, I'd like a large pizza, everything on it and a six pack. Please deliver to the Walnut Mountain shelter. Thank you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My father works in an avionics shop for KLM. All the techs there build drones. They are scary to watch

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Can we have them make food drops at shelters? New buisness oppertunity for Amazon Hello Drone delivery, I'd like a large pizza, everything on it and a six pack. Please deliver to the Walnut Mountain shelter. Thank you.
    Now *that* would be something I'd consider tapping. Maybe a pair of dry socks and a food re-supply. They better have a good selection of IPAs.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    This will be an ever increasing problem as civilians get drones and fly them everywhere. Already we have 80,000 or 90,000 metal tube jets roaring across the sky over the TN and NC mountains but I foresee a time soon to come when civilians will have their drones flying over wilderness areas and the AT and the mountains with their noise and little gopro cameras. Sure, you can camp and pretend it's primitive, but the sky above you is ruined.
    We were already pretending...

Images

Slackpacking is now obsolete. Dronepacking will be the new hiking world order. Carry nothing - your drone Sherpa will carry everything for you. Resistance is futile - you will be assimilated.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Every selfresprecting hiker will now be armed with a potato gun

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Default drone crash near AT

won,t be long before FedEx will be making mail drops on the AT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    Every selfresprecting hiker will now be armed with a potato gun
    Dibs on the Trail name: Drone Popper.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Funny, just got back from my spring section hike, Newfound Gap - Erwin, forgetting like NO cell signal with AT&T, was thinking about the Amazon.com story and drone delivery, 5 lbs or less (current technology)

I would have had some air drops given the choice..........

Images

New buisness oppertunity ....
    I think I'd pay for a GOOD aerial view of the AT, not one of those from planes half a mile up only, but up-close-and-personal, from less than a thousand feet. Show me that Albert Mountain climb that people whine about so much, but I don't remember. Show me Mahoosuc Notch. Let me see Bryant Ridge Shelter before I hike there. Let me see the view from Moosilauke and Vandeventer Shelter, which were pea-soup-fog when I was there. Same for Clingman's Dome and Mount Camermer. Make it like the ATC's Inter-active map. Yep, I'd pay for that video.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 04-05-2014 at 09:59.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Kinda gives a new meaning to the term "mail drop"!

Can we expect drone dogfights when Amazon, UPS, FedEx and the USPS are all using drones and are trying to get your business?
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 04-06-2014 at 17:56.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I like the part of the story when the car runs over the drone.

Default Drone crash near A.T.

I pity the insurance adjuster.

Journal Entries
    Images

Please do us all a favor - read the article prior to posting Tipi.. and on a average day its 5k-20,000 across the nation... please stop smoking this stuff... what ever you are watching on TV.

its 50K on the planet daily...
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-09-2014 at 22:43.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Please do us all a favor - read the article prior to posting Tipi.. and on a average day its 5k-20,000 across the nation... please stop smoking this stuff... what ever you are watching on TV.

its 50K on the planet daily...
    Check out the link to the noise pollution---

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7081929AAgwh5P

How the heck are you gonna get THEM to stop smoking this stuff??

Or try this one and if you have to, keep clicking until you get the painful answer---

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_F..._in_US#slide=2

Kind of a moot point of how many Drones are flying around today, since this is an emerging technology, so how many today are normally flying will be an ever-increasing number as the years go by...

Think of the number of planes flying in the skys (year-after-year) after the Wright brothers first launched at Kill Devil Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Kind of a moot point of how many Drones are flying around today, since this is an emerging technology, so how many today are normally flying will be an ever-increasing number as the years go by...

Think of the number of planes flying in the skys (year-after-year) after the Wright brothers first launched at Kill Devil Hills.
    EVER INCREASING NUMBER is the main take-away from the article linked in the first post. What does this mean for backpackers and outdoorsmen and hikers here on Whiteblaze---More noise.

EVER INCREASING NUMBER
    And that was my point.

What does this mean for backpackers and outdoorsmen and hikers here on Whiteblaze---More noise.
    I don't think noise will be an issue, but we'll just have to wait and see. Actually, I don't think you'll see too many of them. If you look at those Real time maps of flights, you'd think the sky would be blocked out. http://grist.org/list/mesmerizing-re...gal-infection/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++