WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Room in lean-to for June 1st departure...

Thought I'd throw this out there: I've got a lean-to reserved for May 31st and June 1st, and it's just me, so if you feel like saving a few bucks you're welcome to stay. Just let me know. Supposedly it accommodates four, but I've never been there, so I'm not really sure.

A lean-to for the nights before and after your climb? Excellent plan!! If your lean-to number is 8 or less, four is a tight fit - perfect practice for lean-tos down the trail! If your lean-to is 9 or higher you have a very roomy set up. All lean-tos are right on Katahdin stream. Bring cash to buy bundles of fire wood, and be sure to read the register on the porch of the Ranger's cabin. Have fun!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

You may know this also - when's the earliest I should be at that lean-to? That is, when will the previous person be out (if there is one)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campers need to clear their sites by 11AM, check-ins are at 1PM. Gives the ranger a chance to check out the site and clean the fire pit. But you can still get to the Park earlier! Are you shuttling in from Millinocket, or driving in? You could some Moose watching at Stump pond, rent a kayak at Daicey Pond, picnic at one of the covered tables, meet other hikers, do your paperwork and get firewood, or even hike the mile up the AT to the Falls before checking in. I usually get to the Park about 7AM and get in some hiking before checking in.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

While we're on the subject, I too have space to share: Lean-to #7 on 6/26 & 27. I plan on climbing Katahdin on the 26th, my birthday, so you'll have to bring a gift.
    Getting excited to start...all the best to all of y'all.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Campers need to clear their sites by 11AM, check-ins are at 1PM. Gives the ranger a chance to check out the site and clean the fire pit. But you can still get to the Park earlier! Are you shuttling in from Millinocket, or driving in? You could some Moose watching at Stump pond, rent a kayak at Daicey Pond, picnic at one of the covered tables, meet other hikers, do your paperwork and get firewood, or even hike the mile up the AT to the Falls before checking in. I usually get to the Park about 7AM and get in some hiking before checking in.
    I'll be shuttling in from Millinocket. I'll probably get there early and look around. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick P View Post
    While we're on the subject, I too have space to share: Lean-to #7 on 6/26 & 27. I plan on climbing Katahdin on the 26th, my birthday, so you'll have to bring a gift.
    Getting excited to start...all the best to all of y'all.
    That's awesome! Part of the reason I decided to go this year was to turn 30 on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    TJ,

(Forgive me, off topic)
    If you were a gambling man, when would you predict the Hunt trail will open this year?

Appreciate your time in responding,

firesign, there's no way of telling this far out. If you're a MEGA, I'd suggest booking a June 1st start.
    Teej

++ New Posts ++