WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Catawba, Va.

I passed there last October on the wrong day, had to settle for a couple of greasy cheeseburgers at the local store, really was looking forward to the Place, it's been about 25 years since I last ate there and I was wondering if the food was still as good as it used to be.

better than it used to be

I'd love to eat there but they're never open when I'm in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I'd love to eat there but they're never open when I'm in the area.
    If you ever make it there when they are open, you will love it! You will not be disappointed at all!

it's a buch of canned food served up homestyle. Hikers love it because it's all-you-can-eat but honestly it's a bunch of instant potatoes and canned green beans. Basically one step above Mickey-D's, LW's kind of place.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Great food? Maybe not, but there's plenty of it and Snacktime wasn't complaining! Besides, it's the company that makes it special!

"Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Great food? Maybe not, but there's plenty of it and Snacktime wasn't complaining! Besides, it's the company that makes it special!

Snacktime did seem to enjoy the food. I don't think you would have to twist his arm to go back.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

It does have more satisfaction when you actually hiked to get there. And after figuring out how to scheduled it.

We camped at the Catawba Valley General Store the night before. Owner was very thru-hiker friendly back then.

Hell of a hike afterwards on a full stomach.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I managed to eat there twice on my thru.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I managed to eat there twice on my thru.
    I *KNEW* you were going to say you ate there before I clicked on the thread. I thought to myself... "ChinMusic ate at The Home Place I bet...

I missed the place twice.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I *KNEW* you were going to say you ate there before I clicked on the thread. I thought to myself... "ChinMusic ate at The Home Place I bet...

I missed the place twice.
    I ate there on the way by on my thru and then ate there again on my drive back to the trail after Trail Days. I'll prob hit it again just before Trail Days this year too.

Oh my gosh... this is the funniest picture ever T&S. Look at Byron's face!! LOL!! Snacktime is loving his chicken. LOL! Illabelle and her husband are soo nice!! Of course, there's DEEEERRRR HUNTERRRR lookin proud to be there!

magic_game03.. I'm callin BS on what you said about the quality of the food. Dude, you got it all wrong. It's NOT instant mashed potato and canned green beans. Do you think we would all love this place so much if that were true? You gotta be kidding me!

If it's canned food I wanta invest in the company.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If it's canned food I wanta invest in the company.
    +1 on that Chin! :>)

I'm planning to hike that section this summer (70 miles NOBO to Daleville). Let's assume I can plan to be in that area between Thursday and Sunday. What's the best way to work out the logistics?

Hike or hitch in from the VA785/Blackburg Rd crossing? or the VA311 Catawba Valley Dr crossing? or VA624/Newport Rd Crossing? Is it reasonable to get in, eat, and back to the trail in time to camp?

Journal Entries

Wow, wasn't expecting to see this! Great memories with T&S, DH, HM and her husband. Look forward to getting back to Catawba one o' these days!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post

magic_game03.. I'm callin BS on what you said about the quality of the food. Dude, you got it all wrong. It's NOT instant mashed potato and canned green beans. Do you think we would all love this place so much if that were true? You gotta be kidding me!
    You can call BS, heck you can call Obama for all I care…It's still canned green beans and instant mashed potatoes. But as long as it's AYCE thru-hikers like yourself will gobble it up at $15 a head (after tip and taxes.) There is not a single FRESH green bean, potato, kernel of corn, or any other veggie there. Heck, I gobbled it up, and the atmosphere is great, but it's still canned food and instant potatoes!
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    It does have more satisfaction when you actually hiked to get there. And after figuring out how to scheduled it.

We camped at the Catawba Valley General Store the night before. Owner was very thru-hiker friendly back then.

Hell of a hike afterwards on a full stomach.
    The day before we went to dinner at The Home Place, Snacktime and I had hiked up McAfee Knob. On the way back, we met a thru-couple who were heading into Catawba and had heard about THP. They were completely psyched that it was pulled pork night. You could tell by their eagerness (and likely hunger) that it would be the best meal they could imagine. That "hunger makes the best season" adage is so true.

We didn't hike our way to the restaurant....we hiked afterward...to the AT kiosk to drop off trail magic in the form of water jugs. So in a real sense, we also sang for our supper!

"Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

The day before we went to dinner at The Home Place, Snacktime and I had hiked up McAfee Knob. On the way back, we met a thru-couple who were heading into Catawba and had heard about THP. They were completely psyched that it was pulled pork night. You could tell by their eagerness (and likely hunger) that it would be the best meal they could imagine. That "hunger makes the best season" adage is so true.

We didn't hike our way to the restaurant....we hiked afterward...to the AT kiosk to drop off trail magic in the form of water jugs. So in a real sense, we also sang for our supper!

..................!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++