WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trekking poles

Default Trekking poles

Anti shock or no?
    Carbon fiber that much better than aluminum?
    Foam or cork grips?
    Thank you.

Are you looking for your first set of trekking poles to try out, or have you used them and know you like them, therefore are trying to get the best you can buy? If you haven't really used them before, you can get a good intermediate set for ~$50 if you look around at places like Sierra Trading Post. On the other hand if you know you want a great set and love them, investing in carbon fiber and cork, etc might be worth it.

Anti-shock is a gimmick.
    Have never used carbon fiber so can't compare. I wouldn't buy for a bit of weight savings vs the cost.
    Have found both foam and cork about the same.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I have never owned a pair and decided to purchase some to take pressure of of my knees. I would like to buy something decent. So I should stay away from anti-shock?

You can get a perfectly serviceable pair that will help you out tremendously without springing for the minor weight savings of carbon fiber. Consider these:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kom...-pair~p~4237g/
    Be sure to look around for Sierra Trading Post coupon codes. You can usually get 35% off with one. EXU2020Y works today and tomorrow.
    Last edited by CalebJ; 04-06-2014 at 15:29.

Most folks poo-poo the antishock. I like mine, but realize I am in the minority on this.
    Cork vs foam: prob a slight nod to cork but they high-quality foams of Leki are nice too.
    Flicklock vs Twist: Prob the #1 thing for me. There must be at least one flicklock. I will never buy another twistlock only.
    Carbon vs Aluminum: A no-brainer - aluminum. I saw so many carbon failures on the trail. Alum is much stronger.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Thank you for the code, is it for 30%?

Of those, the second pair of Komperdell's with the flick lock is a good option.

The code is for 35% off. Also, if your total is over $100 and you have an Android or iOS device, order through the STP app and get free shipping.

Why is the flick lock desirable?

Journal Entries
    Images

Twisla: I've used both and never really noted or felt a difference. Right now I am using Leki. But like I said no diff. Others will tell you different and swear by them. If I had it to do again I'd try to only spend 'bout $50 bucks and prob get them w/out shocks, springs, etc. I've used twistlock, fliplock etc., rubber handholds cork, etc. I honestly would do what I said and would not give it a second thought. The main thing is to use them. You'll love them on the downhill. I woul re'mend aluminum as it seemed many of the carbon folk complained 'bout them breaking. This is just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 04-06-2014 at 18:04.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    I used a pair of Komperdell twist lock for over 15 years. I replaced them because the locking mechanism would no longer lock. Is 15 years life span ok with you? I was fine with it but when I replaced them I went to Black Diamond which has the flick lock.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Default Costco

You can get a good pair of carbon fiber, foam grip, flick lock poles at Costco for $30. Cheap enough to try out and if you break one, oh well. I have the twist lock version and have used them for all of my hikes for the past year and a half. I also use them as my tarp supports. I was gonna but the flick lock version yesterday, but my wife said I already had some and told me no.

I bought a pair of Komperdell's that snapped in half the first day I used them. I now use Black Diamond poles. I've had anti-shock before and I don't miss it - I doubt it was ever an advantage.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwilli View Post
    You can get a good pair of carbon fiber, foam grip, flick lock poles at Costco for $30. Cheap enough to try out and if you break one, oh well. I have the twist lock version and have used them for all of my hikes for the past year and a half. I also use them as my tarp supports. I was gonna but the flick lock version yesterday, but my wife said I already had some and told me no.
    Can you provide a link? I cant seem to find online.

Images

I have a pair of the first Komperdell's that you linked to and I love them. Light, strong and comfortable. I like the anti-shock feature and have not had a problem with the twist locks. I get a lot of use out of them here in Maine.

How about American Made? Super light? Stronger than aluminum> Tips guaranteed for the whole trail? Renewable resource? www.americantrekkingpoles.com Yes, I am the manufacturer. In Georgia.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    It is desireable to people that suffered twistlock problems in the past. Either slipping (not tight enough), or inability to loosen to adjust after over-tightening or even temperature changes.
    Or with some models, once too loose, twisting doesnt do anything because the grip thingy just spins with the twist. Also might need to take gloves off in cold weather to grip the poles to twist.

Problems are specific to manufacturers. I have never had any twistlock issues, other than need to use bare-hands to grip them to adjust.

Journal Entries
    Images

Flicklocks are easy to apply and "turn off". I have had them and twistlocks and don't really have a preference. When I am using twistlocks I check them at lunch time or when on a mid day break, etc. However I guess I do the same with whatever style I am using. Currently have and am using flicklocks and they have worked fine. On twistlocks if you tighten them too much they are then difficult to un do them (of course). Twisla, I have noticed on non-carbon poles that some brands seem to actually be so heavy that I notice it. So I would make it a point to check that out and make comparisons.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 04-07-2014 at 07:27.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Section Hiker

I love my Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork, flick locks, $120.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++