WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resupply between Marion and Damascus?

It's only 65 miles but at my current fitness level I don't think I can do much more than 10 miles a day. I don't want to carry 6+ days worth of food if I don't have to. Is there anywhere I can resupply between these 2 towns? I was thinking I could get a taxi back to Marion by midpoint and resupply then head back to the trail, but this would be rather tedious and would be disruptive, not to mention demoralizing. Are there any gas stations close to any road crossings along the way?

I'm noticing Troutdale and Whitetop, but they are both about a day and a half from each trail-head. Does anyone know if Troutdale has anywhere to buy food?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You could hang a food bag near the Fox Creek trailhead at VA-603. Just make sure that you hang it correctly, as I had what I think was a raccoon decimate my bag. Another option might be near the Elk Garden trailhead, where there is a roadside picnic area, primitive tentsites and a piped spring.

After I lost my re-supply back in June 2007, I was trying to figure out if I could get a bit of food somewhere nearby. I read about a small store at the Grayson Highlands ranger station a mile or two from Massie Gap. Not sure if it's still there or what it might offer.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Unfortunately, because I don't have a vehicle or time to taxi in ahead of time, I can't stash any food; though, even if I did, I would be wary of doing so because of what you described.

I only stash food in the winter time anyway because I can bury it in the snow and flag it.

Looks like there might be a convenience store on the way to Troutdale, but that's only a day and a half from Partnership so doesn't get you much. Other then that, there is nothing. A food stash would be your only option, but the only place to put it would be VA603 but that's only 2 1/2 days into to the trip. (I would use a 5 gallon plastic bucket, painted brown or green and hung in a tree. Bring a GPS so you can make the location. Of course, you'd have to go back and pick up the bucket later).

All in all, that section is relatively easy. Just stock up with light food like Mountain house meals and oatmeal and go for it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There's a camp store at Grayson Highlands State Park, looks to be less than 2 miles off-trail.
    http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...nhighlands.pdf

Images

The camp store is NOT a recommended resupply point. It's open intermittiently during the summer season, based on when volunteers are available to run it. Not much selection, either.

You could contact Coolgreen B&B, which is near Elk Garden. They may be able to come get you from the trail for a night, and might be willing to hold a mail drop for you. (They indicated some interest in both of these when we talked to them last summer, but hikers would definitely need to call ahead and check.)

From Dickey Gap, you can hitch to Troutdale or Sugar Grove on VA 16. Sugar Grove has a small country grocery store with reasonable resupply options. Troutdale has a hostel in season, and there is a small store on VA 16 a few miles beyond the town. Both towns have post offices where you could mail a supply box.

I wouldn't call a cab. If you're comfortable hitching, it's relatively easy in these parts.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I might be able to do this in five days but I want to carry enough food for a zero or low mileage day If I need it. This is a short trip so maybe I can get away with light repetitive meals of mashed potatoes, oatmeal (though I'm not sure about bringing a stove), banana chips, crackers, and beef jerky. Kinda boring and not too nutritious but, hey, it's only a few days. The problem is that my pack is really small so taking five days worth food might be a bit cumbersome.

Wonder if you could maildrop to the Whitetop, VA post office? Pretty close to midpoint, 2-3 mile hitch south from the Elk Garden (VA route 600) crossing. I've only done 1 maildrop but won't any PO hold something 'general delivery'?
    ???

Also- decent gas station just down 58 (west) from Va 600/ US 58 intersection: http://mymarathonstation.com/StoreHome/164269

They have a grill & groceries
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
    Wonder if you could maildrop to the Whitetop, VA post office? Pretty close to midpoint, 2-3 mile hitch south from the Elk Garden (VA route 600) crossing. I've only done 1 maildrop but won't any PO hold something 'general delivery'?
    Also- decent gas station just down 58 (west) from Va 600/ US 58 intersection: http://mymarathonstation.com/StoreHome/164269

this is your best bet in this section Tron-Life

How about parking roughly halfway to Damascus, hiking there, getting shuttled to Marion, and hiking the rest of the way to your car? In Damascus you can shower, sleep indoors, eat at a restaurant, etc.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    How about parking roughly halfway to Damascus, hiking there, getting shuttled to Marion, and hiking the rest of the way to your car? In Damascus you can shower, sleep indoors, eat at a restaurant, etc.
    That would be great but I'm taking the bus not my car; it's a 1991 honda accord with almost 300,000 miles on it. It's running fine but with that much mileage, a drive from upstate NY to VA is out of the question. Also, I'm only going out for about a week so going back to town to reboot is kinda unnecessary and would ruin the immersion effect for me.

Otherwise, thanks for all the suggestions guys!

As far as I see it I have two options; I could camel up and take 6-7 days worth, or resupply at two day intervals, first resupply at White Top, then at Trout Dale. This is interesting but I'm not sure I want to spend that much time hitching/road-walking. Decisions, decisions...

What is this "grill" you speak of? I'm curious.

Lone Wolf, this is 2G. We talked yesterday and you are shuttling me to Pearisburg at the end of this month...I need 2 mail drops 40 or 50 miles apart between Pearisburg and Grayson Highlands...we can't carry that much dog food. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++