WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Lymes

Default Lymes

I finished a 15 day hike on 4 Sept, from the visitor center at Amimcola Falls to Fontana Dam. Had a great hike, met some fine folks, finished the section feeling great and planning my next section hike. A few days goes by and I am feeling run down, body aches, severe neck ache ect.. (no rash or bulls eye) and no ticks that i know of. Go and see a Dr. I have blood work and exam. He thinks Lymes disease (so does my wife,RN, who has not let 2hrs pass without reminding me of her diagnosis) and puts me on antibiotics. I am feeling better, still don't have much energy and I am sleepy most of the time. I read some old post and have questions like "if I have had it once does that mean I can't get it again?"
    and " How long untill I feel like myself?" input from people who have had Lymes would be helpfull.
    Thanks
    Sandy

I had Lyme disease a few years back after a week of canoeing on the Delaware, had the same signs as you, no bulls eye, just feeling miserable with a high fever. After being diagnosed with Lyme and taking antibiotics I was feeling better and even made it to a week of summer camp after a week of recuperation

hope you feel better and happy trails

Images

When I had Lyme in the summer of 2003, the bite or infection site became acutely infected (red streaks going up my leg, help!) and it took about 3 weeks for that to heal fully. The aches, fatigue, and chills lasted in an acute phase for 2-3 days; I "felt myself" (other than the bite location) in about a week.

When my 13 year old had Lyme this summer, he also felt extremely poorly and had to stay in bed for approximately 3 days. He was back to his old self within say 4-5 days after that.

Good luck to you! As long as you were promptly and accurately treated, unless you are very unlucky, you should have no lasting after-effects. BTW, I believe that you can catch Lyme more than once but you should check on that with your doctor.

Jane in CT

Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane
    When I had Lyme in the summer of 2003, the bite or infection site became acutely infected (red streaks going up my leg, help!) and it took about 3 weeks for that to heal fully. The aches, fatigue, and chills lasted in an acute phase for 2-3 days; I "felt myself" (other than the bite location) in about a week.

When my 13 year old had Lyme this summer, he also felt extremely poorly and had to stay in bed for approximately 3 days. He was back to his old self within say 4-5 days after that.

Good luck to you! As long as you were promptly and accurately treated, unless you are very unlucky, you should have no lasting after-effects. BTW, I believe that you can catch Lyme more than once but you should check on that with your doctor.

Jane in CT
    2003 was a very bad year for Lyme!! Thats the year I got it also,and when I went to the doc he had 3 confirmed cases and one pending(not including me) that week alone!! I was lucky to get a doctor who knew what to look for and how to treat it quickly.He gave me antibiotics before I even went to have the blood test done.3 weeks on the antibiotics took care of it though I felt better almost emediatly. My symptoms were feverish,chills achy etc feeling like I had the flu and a solid red circle on my side.the rash isnt always in the form of a bulls eye and some never get a rash at all.

On a side note-I havnt seen one tick this whole summer!! Aint complainin neither!!
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

++ New Posts ++