WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Wilder Within"

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

[QUOTE=Footslogger]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    WEST THUMB, WY—Overcrowding remains an enormous problem at Yellowstone National Parking Lot, officials reported Monday.
    ======================================
    Awe damn ...and I'm headed there in the morning !!

'Slogger

WEll, the artice does take place in 2056. Plenty of time.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default Denali rocks

I concur, Denali is the deal for a true wilderness experience. Solemates didn't comment on the fact that there are no developed trails either. Bushwacking all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates
    Enforce the no rescue rule and let people get injured if they are ignorant enough. Maybe it will teach them a lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris
    To prevent rangers from getting hurt rescuing idiots, institute a no-rescue policy if there is a cloud in the sky or it is between September and July (yes, I know this is a short window). If the mountain wipes out a few families or hikers climbing beyond their ability, perhaps park traffic will decrease.
    Since when are ignorant idiots the only people who ever get hurt? I agree that waaaaay too many folks get hurt because they're too ambitious or oblivious or downright stupid, but it's hubristic to think that your experience exempts you from accident or illness.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Creek
    Since when are ignorant idiots the only people who ever get hurt? I agree that waaaaay too many folks get hurt because they're too ambitious or oblivious or downright stupid, but it's hubristic to think that your experience exempts you from accident or illness.
    ok, granted. so you decide whether you want to go into the backcountry or not. you live with your decisions.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Percival Baxter, who gifted the land to the state of Maine, was against automobile travel in the park. His wishes should be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hog
    Percival Baxter, who gifted the land to the state of Maine, was against automobile travel in the park.
    Where'd you get that idea, Hog?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

You're right, I may have overstated the case. Maybe it would be more accurate to say that Percival Baxter wanted to MINIMIZE automobile travel in BSP. I have cited a link and two quotes from that link as evidence.

http://www.rpts.tamu.edu/pugsley/Baxter.htm

After acquiring the tract, he gave it to the state to be held in trust with the proviso that the land:

…shall forever be used for public park and recreational purposes, shall be forever left in the natural wild state, shall forever be kept as a sanctuary for wild beasts and birds, that no road or ways for motor vehicles shall hereafter ever be constructed thereon or therein.

In a widely publicized statement late in 1941, he eloquently expressed his thinking with regard to the park:

Katahdin always should and must remain the wild stormswept, untouched-by-man region it now is; that is its great calm. Only small cabins for mountain climbers and those who love the wilderness should be allowed there, only trails for those who travel on foot or horseback, a place where nature rules and where the creatures of the forest hold undisputed dominion.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Hog
    You're right, I may have overstated the case.

that no road or ways for motor vehicles shall hereafter ever be constructed thereon or therein.
    doesnt sound like your overstating to me. I dont know what roads existed at the time of this statement, however, but I imagine fewer than are there today?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++