WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Insoles - superfeet super hurt

Howdy folks!

Long time reader here, first time posting.

Going to attempt my first thru in a couple weeks, and am happy with all of my gear except probably the most important piece - my shoes'

Ive hiked and backpacked in everything from tevas and socks to tennis shoes to leather boots - tried on some Moab ventilators at a local outfitter and as soon as I slipped them on my feet felt so damn good, I decided these were perfect.

THE ISSUE - the guy at the shop recommended superfeet - he helped me pick the right pair and cut them to size and told me they might take some time to break in.. We'll they never broke in, the outside of my heel was falling over the side and rubbing gnarly. I put the stock air cushions in after months using the superfeet and immediately felt relief, but then the back of my heels were very painful when hiking for a few days until my feet got strong again.. what a PITA err pain in the foot..

Long story short I returned those horrid pieces of plastic and I'm wondering what to do about insoles..

I've never had any foot issues until I tried not so super feet, always used stock insoles with boots or running shoes and never blistered or had pain.

Should I stick with the stocks or should I try some other brands like dr.scholls or spencos?

What do the rest of yall use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have foot or knee pain with the stock insoles, there is no need to switch to something else. I can't stand superfeet either. I use powerstep insoles in my work boots and factory insoles in my running and hiking shoes.

Another one here who doesn't like Superfeet. They're hard as a rock and at the end of the day make my feel feel as if they've been pummeled with a sledgehammer. I usually just use a Dr. Scholl's athletic insert for better padding than OEM insoles.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I have a cheap pair of Walmart boots and they had always hurt my feet until I bought a pair of SOLES inner soles and now they feel like new boots. I have been on three hikes since I put them in and my feet are very happy. They are heat moldable or you can just put them in and wear them.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

This is all very interesting. I was considering some aftermarket inserts at they have gotten lots of good reviews, but may rethink that plan now. I did love my Moabs - felt like I was wearing pillows on my feet, but have since switched to Keens.

Here's a hint. If you get the original grey colored Moab Ventilators and go for a hike in the red rock area of southern Utah, they get this very nice hue you can't buy anywhere. I miss those shoes.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I've been using superfeet for several years, primarily because they are hard and add an extra bit of protection when I am rock hopping in my trail runners. It sounds like those insoles are simply a bad fit for you, i do have a slight issue with the inside of my heel rubbing against the side if the superfeet and causing a blister, but for me a small piece if moleskin takes care of this.

What I don't get is why so many outdoor stores tell everyone that they need superfeet. I like them, but they're certainly not a one size fits all fix for foot problems.

Please keep us updated if you do find something that works well for you.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I used to get a twinge in arch of my right foot until I started using Soles.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I've been using superfeet for several years, primarily because they are hard and add an extra bit of protection when I am rock hopping in my trail runners. It sounds like those insoles are simply a bad fit for you, i do have a slight issue with the inside of my heel rubbing against the side if the superfeet and causing a blister, but for me a small piece if moleskin takes care of this.

What I don't get is why so many outdoor stores tell everyone that they need superfeet. I like them, but they're certainly not a one size fits all fix for foot problems.

Please keep us updated if you do find something that works well for you.
    I do exactly the same thing. The stock insoles in a pair of something like the Merrell Moab Ventilators is not well suited for the hard granite up in northern New England, and the superfeet provide much better impact protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

What I don't get is why so many outdoor stores tell everyone that they need superfeet.
    Follow the money and you'll have your answer.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I had the same issues with Superfeet. I worked at REI and all the footwear guys would recommend them left and right. So I pro-dealed a couple of pairs and my feet would be crippled by the end of the day of wearing them.

So I went to my podiatrist. He said that Superfeet are a lot harder and less flexible than other insoles and depending on your needs, they simply may not work for your feet. He gave me another set of insoles to try and they're much better, but quite honestly, I am just as comfortable hiking without them as I am hiking with them.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I use Cadence insoles and love them! Best combination of support I have found and I have tried them all. I don't have issues but just prefer more support and cushion in all my shoes and my feet and knees are very happy. My shoes and boots fit better too. I know they are also recommended by podiatrists and physical therapists. Worth a look. I used to get them online but now my local outfitter carries them. I don't know if it still works but I used to use cadence10 discount code and get 10% off from their website, cadenceinsoles.com. Highly recommend. Good luck!

I had the exact same problem when I thru'd last year. I bought Superfeet and they destroyed my feet after one day. I changed to Sole inserts. Here is a link: http://www.rei.com/product/721632/so...ds-high-volume

I changed them out after ever 600 miles or so. I wore them with trail runners and never had any problems, except the usual soreness and pain that all thru hikers experience. Best of luck to you

Images

I've used Super feet for thousands of miles and expect to use them in trail runners for thousands more. Wouldn't leave home without them. I NEVER trim them just pop them in as a replacement for the existing insert. There goof for maybe 700 miles.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Wow, so much great feedback!

Thanks for the replys, I'm going to try and grab some SOLES and maybe a couple other inserts and put some miles on them and report back.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GA-ME 2011
    Images

If you're going to use Superfeet you need to chose the correct ones for your foot. In the past I had used the black ones which have a low, or no arch because I have flat feet. If you have a high arch you want the green or orange ones. They now make a copper colored set that have some nice cushioning in them. I've been using those for a year now and really like them. They all do a better job protecting your feet from the rocks.

Also if you read the directions that come with them they say you should wear them for short periods of time until you get use to them.

Only having a few weeks before you leave on your thru and not having your footwear dialed in is a concern. I hope you get it figured out.

Good Luck!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

So one size/brand doesn't fit all? The band played "Whod'a thunk it!"
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Haha, we'll the guy at the shop had me try on a few different sizes, had me stand on different ones while he checked my foot, I figured he knew what he was doing

But I've never had any issues with my feet, so either these things are the devil or the guy at the shop is

It did take me some time to get used to the green Superfeet, and I wasn't sure about it until I had worn them a few hours a day for a few weeks. Now they feel great.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post

Also if you read the directions that come with them they say you should wear them for short periods of time until you get use to them.

Only having a few weeks before you leave on your thru and not having your footwear dialed in is a concern. I hope you get it figured out.

Good Luck!
    This is something I don't understand at all. Why would I want to torture my feet for "a few weeks" when I can buy a different brand of insole and have it be good and comfortable the moment I put it in my shoe? It doesn't make any sense at all to choose suffering for no reason.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rubra View Post
    ...But I've never had any issues with my feet, so either these things are the devil or the guy at the shop is
    Or they just don't mix well with your feet and or shoes. I love mine and they really help with most footwear. I have high arches and a narrow heal, the green ones feel like they are custom made for my feet. The deep heal cup locks my heal in, and my arch is supported well so my feet don't hurt like they do with shoes that don't offer enough support.

Having said that, while I use them in my other shoes and boots, I don't need them in my new Oboz's because they feel fine without them.

Just goes to show that every foot and shoe is different and there is no one single solution for everyone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++