WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

I am so thrilled to hear of others that hate super feet (stupid feet imo) - they nearly ended my hike. I started to develop knee pain, back pain, shoulder pain - all as a direct result of custom fitted super feet. I use Sof soles - https://www.sofsole.com/ soft, thick cushy and just all around wonderful.

I tried the green Superfeet, and they didn't work at all for me. Much too rigid. I did better with the orange ones, but they are so expensive, I don't usually bother. I've done well with Spenco and some of the other less expensive insoles. With running shoes, I don't wear any additional insole. Either they are comfortable as is or not. If not, I try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    This is all very interesting. I was considering some aftermarket inserts at they have gotten lots of good reviews, but may rethink that plan now. I did love my Moabs - felt like I was wearing pillows on my feet, but have since switched to Keens.

Here's a hint. If you get the original grey colored Moab Ventilators and go for a hike in the red rock area of southern Utah, they get this very nice hue you can't buy anywhere. I miss those shoes.
    After hearing a lot of hooplah about Superfeet I broke down and got a pair...ironic, had to stop in the middle of this post and take my shoes off(w/Supperfeet) because they were hot...anyway, they're a disappointment for me. I couldn't recommend them, especially since they cost almost as much as my shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by rubra View Post
    \
    I've never had any foot issues until I tried not so super feet, always used stock insoles with boots or running shoes and never blistered or had pain.

Should I stick with the stocks or should I try some other brands like dr.scholls or spencos?
    Why were you making changes if, "I've never had any foot issues .... always used stock insoles with boots or running shoes and never blistered or had pain."?

I use and love Superfeet. It is common to be sore in the arch if you are not used to good support. I was sore for my first couple hikes with them. Not anymore.

I chose to buy some new Superfeet once I made it to VT on my thru last year. I was concerned that new ones would hurt and kept my old ones with me just in case my old ones had lost that much support after a couple thousand miles. The new ones worked out just fine.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

I've been using the pink super feet (like the green but for smaller women feet), and I really want to like them but they just don't provide the arch support I am hoping for. It barely touches my arches even when I'm standing on one foot. They're advertised as being for high arches, but that claim is a little exaggerated.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    This is something I don't understand at all. Why would I want to torture my feet for "a few weeks" when I can buy a different brand of insole and have it be good and comfortable the moment I put it in my shoe? It doesn't make any sense at all to choose suffering for no reason.
    Well of course you wouldn't want to torture your feet, maybe you don't need them. There are many people who need some additional support and Superfeet fill that need. I've known people to ditch their expensive custom made orthotics for Superfeet with great results. What doesn't make sense to you might be just the help someone else needs.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Well of course you wouldn't want to torture your feet, maybe you don't need them. There are many people who need some additional support and Superfeet fill that need. I've known people to ditch their expensive custom made orthotics for Superfeet with great results. What doesn't make sense to you might be just the help someone else needs.
    You missed her point.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

AT 2012

I am a superfeet fan, BUT I discovered the hard way that there are different heel widths, depending on the color of the superfeet. the orange superfeet have the widest heel bed. I had the trouble you described with green superfeet, suffered along for quite a while with the wrong superfeet for me, then switched to the orange superfeet years ago. having said that, it shouldn't be that big a deal... use whatever works for you. umm... I must be on my fifth or sixth pair by now!
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Why were you making changes if, "I've never had any foot issues .... always used stock insoles with boots or running shoes and never blistered or had pain."?.
    Shoe sales people at outfitters are really good at selling super feet insoles - that's how I ended up with them. I imagine the reps are a lot like pharmaceutical reps - putting a really good sales spin, and perhaps kick backs - This is just from my medical background as a nurse practitioner. I have absolutely no proof in any way shape or form that this is the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Shoe sales people at outfitters are really good at selling super feet insoles - that's how I ended up with them. I imagine the reps are a lot like pharmaceutical reps - putting a really good sales spin, and perhaps kick backs - This is just from my medical background as a nurse practitioner. I have absolutely no proof in any way shape or form that this is the deal.
    Selling backpacking gear is a tough business. In theory, they should be selling you as little as possible, since that is what backpackers should carry. In reality....?

I see your point and agree. I think we are all bombarded with sales pitches on many aspect of life, not just footware.

If I knew from experience that I had my feet "dialed in" I am not letting any salesperson talk me into something. I had a salesperson in VT try to talk me into boots to replace my trail runners. I didn't want boots since I had 1000s of miles with trail runners with no issues. She still tried to tell me I "needed" more support. I politely declined.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Superfeet has a 60 day return policy if you don't like them.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    You missed her point.
    No I get it. If you're good with your footwear you shouldn't let someone talk you into changing. My point is they work for some people.

If you want to try Superfeet you can wear them hiking every day for two months. Use them on the trail in the mud and dust then send them back if they don't work for you. Wonder if I can do that with my new ultra light silnylon tent?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

No I get it. If you're good with your footwear you shouldn't let someone talk you into changing. My point is they work for some people.

If you want to try Superfeet you can wear them hiking every day for two months. Use them on the trail in the mud and dust then send them back if they don't work for you. Wonder if I can do that with my new ultra light silnylon tent?
    I'm with you on everything you said up to the last point about the tent. I just don't see the need to go in that direction in this thread. On the Superfeet however, I agree completely.

My podiatrist told me that he was surprised that more people in this world don't complain about their shoes. He says that feet vary from person to person more than most any other part of the body. I tend to believe him with all the trouble I have finding shoes that fit well.

By the way, custom orthotics hurt my feet for a week or so when I first got them too.

Images

Yes, I did return my super feet insloles. As for the tent, if you bought it from a big box store like REI, then yes, you can return it. If you bought it from a small down home cottage gear shop like me, then no. I cannot afford that kind of loss. I am making EVERYTHING here in North Carolina now (I do still have about 10 tents left that were made in China, ) but after they are sold, everything is made here in the USA. I do not have the deep pockets of REI or what ever company makes Super feet. I've also only ever had one person try and return a tent after a few hundred miles. My tents don't make your feet hurt more, they lighten your load so your feet hurt less.

Almost like the never-ending hiking poles "controversy." Some folks swear by them, others say they're just marketing hype. I use hiking poles but never saw the need for superfeet. I already have superfeet, they're attached to my not-so superlegs. Imagine the markup on these things...

The shoe guy gave the green super feet for me to try - horrid! I have been on the AT for a week with the Blue Superfeet in trail runners - 75 mi and no blisters/hot spots. Several hikers around me favor Dr. Shols. Keep what you have if that worked

I've tried the green Superfeet in the past with my boots! They worked great! When I switched to trail runners I found that they raise my heel up so much that my shoe slips on my foot causing blisters on my heels! Do they make a pair that doesn't take up so much volume in your shoe?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I've tried the green Superfeet in the past with my boots! They worked great! When I switched to trail runners I found that they raise my heel up so much that my shoe slips on my foot causing blisters on my heels! Do they make a pair that doesn't take up so much volume in your shoe?

The black ones are supposed to be the lowest volume ones, but I have never used them. The light blue ones are medium volume but have a higher arch. A lot of the fit has to do with the shoe or boot not just the insole.

New member first post. I have flat narrow feet and found that blue superfeet worked great for me in a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX boots. The same inserts in my Inov-8 Flite 230s gave me lower back pain in 20 minutes. There have been some threads posted in the past that the ridges iunder the heel in Blue Superfeet will cut Gore Tex linings. As with most things in life, YMMV.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++