WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default One Month Available to Hike a Section...

My 15 year old son will take his final exams a bit early this year and we are planning to hike part of the trail as a father-son adventure. We are pretty new to backpacking, but have lots of camping experience. I have also taken extended (unsupported) bicycle tours, but going thru towns every day is different.

We had plans to do a much shorter trip (4 or 5 days) last June, but had to cancel. We can start ~May 23 and have until a meeting in DC beginning June 22. I'm looking for suggestions for starting point and/or area to not miss with only 4 weeks to spend. I'm looking at Catawba (near Roanoke, VA) to Harpers Ferry because I read the resupply notes and it said that stretch after Catawba had a couple scenic spots that are worth taking extra time for. (and maybe shorter mileage for starting out?) Harpers Ferry seems like a good end to catch a train to DC. It works out to about 11 or 12 mi per day. I'm hoping that is a reasonable figure for a kid and his old man.

I'm thinking instead of driving and dealing with parking retrieval, taking Amtrak to DC and Greyhound to Roanoke (+shuttle?) and then Amtrak back to DC at the end.

Any input others might offer would be great.

Journal Entries

I like the idea of a short 3-5 day hike to see if you like it before you dive into a month long trip.

Hey bighammer... if you get the Greyhound into Roanoke, I can find someone to shuttle you to Daleville. It's about 10 miles from the bus station in Roanoke.

I will be hiking myself or I would pick you up. I'll be gone then. But, I can put you in touch with a reliable person that can help you out.

I would take MuddyWaters advice and try to get out and hike a few days to see if you like it.. Watch out, though, that backpacking bug can bite you good!

I almost forgot, to Whiteblaze, bighammer. Nice to have you here!
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 04-14-2014 at 21:45. Reason: Forgot the welcome

Images

Honestly, if it were me I would start at Springer Mountain, Georgia, and hike as long as I could. Lots of reasons for this, in no particular order: It's logistically pretty easy, with towns every 4-5 days for resupply, and a great outfitter 4 days up the trail. The weather will be terrific that time of year, and the trail won't be very crowded. The Trail in GA isn't really "easy" for a beginning hiker, but it's easier than Central Virginia and resupply is easier too. If you are going to drive you can park at Amicalola Falls State Park, or at the Hiker Hostel (or the HH can shuttle you from public transit.) If you love the Trail and want to come back for another section, it makes logical sense to start at the beginning now, and do the next section later, rather than bouncing around. There are plenty of great views, nice sections of trail, interesting little mountain towns, and terrific people in Georgia and North Carolina.

Hope this helps, and have fun.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Default "easier than central Virginia"?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Honestly, if it were me I would start at Springer Mountain, Georgia, and hike as long as I could. Lots of reasons for this, in no particular order: It's logistically pretty easy, with towns every 4-5 days for resupply, and a great outfitter 4 days up the trail. The weather will be terrific that time of year, and the trail won't be very crowded. The Trail in GA isn't really "easy" for a beginning hiker, but it's easier than Central Virginia and resupply is easier too. If you are going to drive you can park at Amicalola Falls State Park, or at the Hiker Hostel (or the HH can shuttle you from public transit.) If you love the Trail and want to come back for another section, it makes logical sense to start at the beginning now, and do the next section later, rather than bouncing around. There are plenty of great views, nice sections of trail, interesting little mountain towns, and terrific people in Georgia and North Carolina.

Hope this helps, and have fun.

I've been section hiking over the past several years. started at Springer and will make it to McAfee Knob this time. Tell me more about Central Virginia please.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I've been section hiking over the past several years. started at Springer and will make it to McAfee Knob this time. Tell me more about Central Virginia please.
    I've hiked most of central VA in my sections, so I'm not an expert, but I'll try. I've enjoyed it. Very pretty area. Where are you starting this year? MacAfee Knob is just south of Daleville, which is a fine place to finish a section hike. Maybe PM me with the specifics and I'll see what I remember....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Since you have a meeting in DC at the end of your hike, I like your plan. You don't need to switch to Greyhound, you can continue on Amtrak to Lynchburg, VA which has a cheap city bus to Roanoke. Megabus is also an option (stops in Christiansburg). Then get a shuttle to just south of McAfee Knob, fuel up at the Homeplace, and start your hike!

Wow, some great help/ideas here. I would like to do a shorter one first, but I don't think that will work for us because of his schedule. We know we love hiking and we love camping, this will just be combining them. I do see the potential for new issues/conflicts that haven't appeared before because of the combination of the two, though. I'm devouring all info I can find, but he has shown pretty minimal interest or input so far. Maybe it's the school stuff that is more pressing for him at the moment. I have tried to prepare myself that our plan may fizzle before it actually happens.

We had planned to hike from I-70 to Harpers Ferry last year while my wife was at a meeting in DC. After a lot of planning and shopping, we only got as far as my dad's house as he became ill and went into the hospital. I had hoped a brief visit and then a continuation of our plan would work, but upon arriving, I realized his condition and the need to arrange his escape back home with hospice care. Later in the summer, we went north to the Pictured Rocks Lakeshore on Lake Superior to do a 3 or 4 day trip and a freak heat wave brought lots of biting black flies along with the 90*+ temps, prompting warnings from park rangers for a guaranteed unpleasant outing, so we had to bail again.

He did seem to have cold feet at the last moment before our AT I-70 to HP trip last year. I had to pretend I was leaving for the hike w/o him, but ran errands all over town before heading back and picking him up before actually hitting the road We'll see if this really happens. Once on the road to my dad's place, he did seem energized about going hiking again. I feel like I really want to experience the AT, at least for some segment of it, and I think he does too. There is an element of self-doubt on his part and I'd like to provide the opportunity for him to push himself from his comfort level and succeed, to help realize his capabilities. There's a side of me that worries that after a few days, he's broken the grip of being in school for another 3 weeks and could make it miserable enough to stop. My dilemma is do I put him on a bus home (or bounce box? ) and continue w/o him, or give in and stop. I feel like this is really the chance of a lifetime for him (and for me) and I'd hate to see him miss out on a very special bonding/nature adventure that he (we) would never forget, because he's rather play video games in the vacuum of A/C darkness and isolation.

How about starting a day or two north of Catawba, hike a day or two, stay at 4 Pines/eat at Homeplace, hike 2 days to I-81, stay at Super 8 and zero (eat at 3 Little Pigs...yum...), hike a few days, sleep off trail (Buchanan/Buena Vista?), etc. Ease into it. If you don't quite make it to DC in time, there are ways to get to the city for your meeting.

That's sounding pretty good. Weather, attitudes, interest, etc. will sort of determine our motivation and drive. I don't want to push too hard, but I want to have a reasonable (and attainable) goal to shoot for. If we get into and reach it, great. If we just take our time and enjoy, that's really what it's all about. Maybe it sets the hook and we shoot for the whole AT in another year. With phone and credit card, you are never that far from anything.

He's led a very privileged life so far, but has "roughed it" on short outings multiple times. He can act helpless at times, but when pushed a little, he rises tot he occasion and shines. I was homeless for a pretty long spell a very long time ago. I'd like to show him that there is a hidden resilience and resourcefulness down deep inside all of us. It's a matter of learning to rely on your instincts and learning to adapt to your surroundings. It takes leaving your comfort zone to summon those hidden traits, but it builds a lot confidence to know that it exists

I'd hike the VT long trail and if you reach the end (sobo) you can just keep going!

No comment on the when or where, but I'll simply say that not having a car sitting at a trailhead for several weeks will be a load off your mind. Good plan to use public transportation to/from the trailhead. The ATC publishes a list of shuttlers along the trail, download it, print it, and take that list with you, at least the part that applies to you.

Not that my ride is anything nice, but I agree that not worrying about where it is or getting back to it is a big load off. I took a bicycle trip from NYC to DC last Sept and I changed my driving plans to only go as far as Toledo, OH and took Amtrak. Great service, reasonably priced with no baggage hassle (or extra expense) like when flying. Parking and fuel cost would've easily exceeded the train ticket cost.

What's the VT long trail? Is it just the VT part of the AT?

Long Trail extends the entire length of Vermont...I don't suggest it for May/June...those Black Flies will carry you off, that is, if your feet aren't stuck in the mud (and they will be).

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    What's the VT long trail? Is it just the VT part of the AT?
    The Long Trail runs the north-south length of Vermont, from the MA-VT state line to Canada. The AT follows the southern-most 100 miles or so of the Long Trail, between the MA-VT line and Rte. 4. Just north of Rte. 4, the LT continues northward, while the AT veers east toward Hanover, NH.

Maybe the VT Long Trail next time if this works out. I did some reading and looked it over and it sounds great, but probably not the best place to start.

Sometimes plans just work against you. We were starting to load the car and he grabbed his backpack off of a tall stool in out kitchen. The stool fell over and nailed his big toe leaving it with a fracture and a very bloody nasty nail. It swelled so much it split open in the ER despite the icepack from moments after it happened. Crutches, keep off it, elevate, etc. along with a few prescriptions

Might be a shortened solo trip for me, or scrapped altogether.

Oh, that's a bummer! My husband and his hiking buddy are currently in that area and the kids and I have a house rental until the third week of June in Roanoke. They are still south though. Not quite to Pearisburg yet.

Big time bummer!

However, as a parent of a 17 year old and a 15 year old son, I know how they might be reticent to go backpacking. We are flatlander Michiganders - like you. I have hiked across the U.P. (90 miles) along Lk Superior - a cake walk compared to the A.T. My boys and I have also completed a few sections of the A.T. (from Waynsboro to N.Y.). While they might have been reluctant to go, it was never a case of my having to "trick" them into going. (Please, forgive me if I have misunderstood you, but it read like this is what you had to do). If this is the case, you would be better off to take your son to different areas for dayhikes. Enjoy the moment - don't count the hours. Good luck!

What i would do if i was you i would start in Paerisburg VA easy to get to and hike NOBO to Harpers Ferry you can get a train straight from HF to DC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++