WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    LovelyDay
    Images

Here's a good resource to use when making plans to hike the Northeast any time of the year: View From The Top

http://www.vftt.org/forums/forumdisp...il-Conditions&

Different strokes for different folks, but if I had to choose a one-way hike on Mt. Washington I would definitely hike up and spare my knees the pain of hiking down.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Different strokes for different folks, but if I had to choose a one-way hike on Mt. Washington I would definitely hike up and spare my knees the pain of hiking down.
    At the moment, you can hike up and slide most the way back down
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I was trying to SOBO New Hampshire, but I agree. I may just hike up it twice...but not this week...

Taking a zero after a not so smart performance climbing Mt. Cube and Smarts Mtn. Let's just say postholing knee deep in shorts and trail runners close to sunset is a very bad idea. I hobbled down Smarts after remedying gear at the Firewarden's cabin... Well anyway, will hike in my winter boots for the remaining hikes, have some Evo snowshoes coming FedEx tomorrow, and will dial mileage way back compared to the rest of the AT. I'm still anxious about South Kinsman descent, but going down Smarts in the dark in gale force winds and sleet was probably a good warmup. Trying to decide between camping and the Reel Brook trail to keep mileage down there.

Thanks for the report. Of course you understand that Smarts Mtn. is still just on the "gateway" to the Whites and that things are going to get tougher in a hurry once you make it to Glencliff.

I'll be curious to see how the Evo snowshoes work out for you. I have a pair as of a few weeks ago, and my impression was that there's not a whole lot of "flotation" to be had.

Looks like snowline will be between 2500 and 3000, so yes, Mooselauke at near 5k will be a different challenge, though the amount of descent is comparable. Snow pack is pretty consolidated, so hoping i wont posthole too much with the Evos. The hike is only 8 miles so I should be fine regardless. Expecting sub freezing temps on top with 50 mph winds...fun... Hopefully the sun willpoke through like it did today, Glencliff was 67F today...good thing, because that brook i forded was c c c c cold (Oliverian Brook i think).

With warm clothing and some winter traction gear, it's a great time to hike and camp in the Whites. Check it out:

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Thanks for the report. Of course you understand that Smarts Mtn. is still just on the "gateway" to the Whites and that things are going to get tougher in a hurry once you make it to Glencliff.

I'll be curious to see how the Evo snowshoes work out for you. I have a pair as of a few weeks ago, and my impression was that there's not a whole lot of "flotation" to be had.
    Evo snowshoes are perfect for packed trails, and for staying on the monorail. Definitely not a lot of flotation without using the tails, but will trade flotation for safety on that Beaver Brook ascent, I felt much better after trading the microspikes for the Evos, but the added weight on the ascent was causing some leg burn for sure. Ascent of Mousilauke was uneventful, except for an ice bulge covering the trail heading up Mt. Blue. Glencliff trail down was a wet, calving glacier near the conifer/deciduous tree line...I had one quality slip and slide, and became a tree hugger to the nth degree...

Might be finished with NH until June, depending how I feel tomorrow. I am not optimistic.

I'm heading up Whiteface (NH) tomorrow. Just a day hike. Not on the AT but not far away. Knock wood, weather looks promising.

Hope Whiteface went well. May make a run at Franconia ridge starting Monday.

Went well indeed. I'm sore. We had good weather. Snow line around 3000 feet or so. No snowshoes, but microspikes or crampons a must on the descent.

I think the Evos are a good choice for NH snow conditions if you could only have one pair of snowshoes, as most of the time the snow packs pretty tight. I wouldn't want them to traverse a field of powder though, as flotation is not great, as previously stated.

Hey - heading up to Tripyramids, Sleepers, Whiteface and Passaconaway Tuesday, Wednesday. May stick around another day to climb the Oscalas. Was going to camp up on the ridge by Whitface. Is there still plenty of snow up there? Was going to bring snow shoes and crampons...

Snowshoes needed if you stray into the woods above 3000' or so. If you stay on the monorail you don't need them. Plenty of places where the monorail has degraded to patchy ice. You definitely want traction devices, microspikes or crampons. At 4000 feet there was still up to 2' of snow in places, mostly in the woods in the shade. Open ledges are clear. This was on a south-facing trail -- Blueberry Ridge, up Whiteface.

Thanks so much rafe - will bring the Evos and micro spikes. I'll carry an axe for the Tripyamid slides as well. As of this am, the weather looks really good for a few nights out in the woods - I am making final preparations this AM to leave early tomorrow. I'm glad to hear about the snow in the woods - makes water easy to find. I'll bring snow stakes for my shelter also.

I didn't find anyone who has been on the Kate Sleeper trail over the Sleepers between South Tripyramid and Whiteface, so there will still be welcome element of mystery for this journey.

Hopefully the forecast is correct and it finally clears up. Lots of rain on and off the last few days and its been cold enough to be ice at higher elevations. The trails are really soggy right now and streams are running high.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks, Slo-go'en - I don't mind the wet, cold, rain, ice or snow - we're men - that is what we do!

How about monorail and ice bridges which are undercut by flowing water? Trail to Zealand hut (Ethan Pond) was a disaster area. I was soaked 2 miles into the hike (including postholing to my crotch ), so I detoured to Ethan Pond shelter, and reemerged from my sleeping bag 12 hours later. Monday morning I checked the register, and a couple of other hikers shared the same fate as me, i.e., a wasted hut reservation. Bailed out back to car...trail was even worse...

Beware of any hike which has sustained mileage between 2k and 3k elevation, unless you are fully prepared to be soaked head to toe. step step crack...sploosh...@&#!...

At airport now. Back in June...

Whenever it rains in that neighborhood, Ethan Pond Trail turns into a swamp. It has long stretches of sustained flat, with (apparently) very poor drainage. I've been soaked more often than not, walking it. Spent a night dodging cold, late-autumn rain at that shelter, after dodging that rain all the way over Field and Wiley.

Spring is an interesting time in the Whites. You gave it good effort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++