WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

When the clouds cleared on and off today, the summits had a new white frosting on them. Looks like maybe down to 4000 feet. That should all melt off once the sun comes out again for real in another day or two. In the mean time, a strong cold wind out of Canada will keep it frosty up there. The temp on MT Washington this afternoon was 28. No melting going on up there!

These sloppy and wintery conditions are why we don't recommend hiking around here in April and May. Some places it's not too bad, but many others it's not.

BTW a friend of mine was skiing in Tukermans ravine recently and said it's still mid winter conditions there.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 05-06-2014 at 18:19.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Welcome to the Whites in the spring.

Ah yes - spring time. Drove up to the Pine Bend Brook Trailhead and planned to hike around the Tripyramid-Sleeper-Whitface-Passaconaway loop, returning to my car via the Kank. I had planned to be out for up to 3 days. Just going to enjoy some peak bagging and time strolling/sleeping in the woods.

It was early spring on the Pine Bend Brook Trail below 2200 feet, but by 2500 feet, there was so much wet, sloppy, sticky snow that no traction device made any difference on the steep incline. Crampons and snowshoes immediately balked up with the snow/slush and became useless within a few steps.

Went back to my car to return home, but really enjoyed the mountain anyway. Down low, the ground is already drying out and the snow is just a memory. Sunshine and a slightly warm breeze were quite pleasant. Enjoyed my lunch by a brook - a bad day in the woods beats a good day at the office, it is said.

One ominous sight: bugs. There are lots of them already at lower altitudes - no doubt they will have a good year!

Will try the same trip again in a couple of weeks when the snow is gone. It hasn't got much to go - that side of the mountain faces north, so it would be the last to melt anyway. At least we can then leave the winter gear at home and enjoy the walk just a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    Will try the same trip again in a couple of weeks when the snow is gone. It hasn't got much to go - that side of the mountain faces north, so it would be the last to melt anyway. At least we can then leave the winter gear at home and enjoy the walk just a little more.
    North-facing vs. south facing probably accounts for a lot right now. Probably the only reason we were able to make it up Whiteface last weekend. I was thinking as we walked -- this trail could be miserable on a hot summer day.

I was just section hiking in Northwestern MA from I-90 to the VT state line over the past several days and met the first thru hikers coming north. A 20-something couple (they didn't stop long enough to tell me their names). They are averaging 25 miles a day to the VT/MA line. I told them I'm from NH and had to come down to MA in order to even hike on the AT. They plan to be in NH in a week. I told them good luck and that I hope they are prepared for snow and ice. I'm not sure they appreciate the White Mts and the winter we've had. Anyway, good luck to them.

NH news reported someone has to be rescued from Bondcliff a few days ago. He was doing a 21 mile traverse including part of the AT (Zealand to Guyot). He got wet and had underestimated the conditions. They brought him out in a helicopter. I expect it will be an expensive ride since NH hasn't started selling the $25 "get out of stupidity" card (AKA Hike Safe)

Here's the story. Should have known better, especially being from up there.

Hiker, 75, rescued off NH mountain: http://www.wmur.com/news/hiker-75-re...ntain/25841214

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Yeah, turning back from a mountain at this time of year because the ice is unsound is common. The best thing to do in mud season is go elsewhere. Either north or up to where it's still winter, or south or down to where it's spring already.

Over here in the Catskills, I had no snow at all on a couple of 3600-foot summits last weekend, but a friend had scary, slushy ice on a series of steep scrambles on a 3900-footer. Where I was, the streams were all running high. Here the larger flow of water is in the trail.

First stream crossing by ke9tv, on Flickr

The blackflies aren't really out yet, but they're thinking about it. Another week or so and I'm going to have to start bringing my head net.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

From the article:

"Fish and Game officers said they don’t want to discourage people from hiking right now, but people need to be prepared to spend the night and have gear to navigate through the rough terrain and ice."

This is really cool, actually. Since he was attempting the Bonds - he was going above treeline and should have had a full kit, which might have helped him:

http://hikesafe.com/index.php?page=full-gear-list

However, I think the biggest mistake was not turning back when he got wet. Once you are wet, nothing good can happen.

Images

Took a hike this morning up to Liberty this morning via a shortcut, Liberty Spring Trail (AT) and Franconia Ridge Trail. Looked like spring at the bottom with no snow, but I was not fooled, I had with me a few choices of pointy traction devices. I had also seen the new snow that was mentioned by Slo-go'en on the Franconia summits on the drive up. By the time I got to Liberty Spring tentsite, there was this great monorail going on, in addition to just bare ice in places. Microspikes worked fine. As a side note, the platforms are still snow covered, except for the caretaker's platform, which was only half covered.

IMG_1240.jpg
    Here's the junction, of Liberty Spring and Franconia Ridge, where you'd take a left if you were going NOBO. Less snow now than there was in February!
    IMG_1241.jpg

It was a beautiful bluebird day, with great views including the snow-covered Presidentials.

Sorry the images are so small in the post! Just click on them, they'll be much better viewed larger.
    LT 2013, AT NOBO 2015, MSGT 2016, PCT 2017/2018

Looks like I made a good call to jump into my sleeping bag, that rescued hiker was several miles from me, and I was soaked to the bone too that Sunday. Had to laugh at the "up to two feet of snow" comment in the article, there is a lot more than that on Moosilauke and Ethan Pond trails.

Apparently the guy who thought he could do a 21 mile day hike wasn't the only one who needed rescue recently. There were several rescues for people who didn't know better then to turn back when encountering conditions they were not prepared for.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++