We are considering doing some hiking with our dog on the PCT in Washington and Oregon this summer and, if all goes well, next. We thruhiked the trail several years ago, so have some idea what we are getting into, but, obviously, doing it with a dog is different and has it's own challenges. OTOH, we won't have the push to get to the border, so we can do shorter days than most thruhikers.

1. My understanding is that dogs are allowed on the PCT in the North Cascades, though not elsewhere in the NP. I assume that's also true at Crater Lake, but we will probably not do that section this year because of the water issues there. I don't think there are any other dog restrictions on the northern PCT. Am I wrong?

2. Can you buy as you go for dog food along the trail or will we need to mail it? We would probably end up having to hitch to town to buy groceries in places like Sisters, Leavenworth, etc. because I know the camp stores are very limited.

3. Any motels near the trail that allow or do not allow dogs?

4. We may end up trying to do some sections using the truck and doing key exchanges. Any good online resources for this kind of hiking on the PCT? In 2009 there was a couple that we met who dayhiked all of southern California. I don't want to dayhike the trail, but shorter sections would give us the option of bailing fairly easily if our dog is having problems.