WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Record Attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    As long as the wind isn't too strong and I'm moving a bit, I might do the same! More likely that I'll be wearing a ballcap and light jacket though if it's snowing.
    That's me, good down to 25 if it's that dry winter air. Somewhere around the second week in Feb we usually get a warm snap, 40 degrees will have me in a t-shirt taking a walk.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    When I lived out in Montana it was nothing to see the kids going to school (in the snow) in shorts, t-shirts, barefoot in flip-flops. Kid you not. Never seen anything like it. A kid barefoot in flip-flops stepping through a foot of snow. They're like polar bears out there. It would be in the minus 20's and my boss would come walking across the parking lot with what I call a spring jacket on (unzipped) saying jokingly, how it was dang near chilly enough to almost need to zip it up.
    I spent some time in northern Ukraine in the winter of 2011. One day our car got a flat and we had to change it. I was bundled up in a long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, fleece jacket, and warm hat. It was 16 degrees without the windchill and around -5 with it. I was freezing. So cold that I walked across the road to wait it out in the heated grocery store while our Ukrainian friend fixed the car. (yea, I abandoned him) He was out there for no less than an hour. Turned out it was more than just a tire issue; he had to adjust the brakes too. He was wearing a t-shirt, un-zipped thin hoodie, and no hat. it was insane.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I don't think God worries much about hikers, he' got enough trouble with that good for nothing son. Come on, 2000 years and still unemployed!

Quote Originally Posted by likeahike View Post
    I don't think God worries much about hikers, he' got enough trouble with that good for nothing son. Come on, 2000 years and still unemployed!
    popcorn.gifman and it's not even Friday night yet, you want butta wit dat?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it's Karl's turn. the unsupported and supported attempts have failed
    The most recent AMC magazine had a nice article on his upcoming attempt. They get it.

Ounces are the little-death

Barring an injury or other calamity, he should set a new record.
    So exciting to see where it goes.

Images

http://www.lasvegassun.com/vegasdelu...lle-henderson/
    So this lady is not running the trail, but what she is doing is really amazing. She could probably blow this guy out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/vegasdelu...lle-henderson/
    So this lady is not running the trail, but what she is doing is really amazing. She could probably blow this guy out of the water.
    Wow, that's great! I have a Family member that was just diagnosed with cancer, I hope she can rebound and do something as monumental, whatever that be. Thanks for postin HeartFire.

Images

it's Karl's turn. the unsupported and supported attempts have failed
    Someone needs to start a new thread for Karl's attempt.

Saw where Drew updated his blog. Says he's gone 597 miles in 19 days. That's an average of 31.4 miles a day.
    I don't know what Jen Davis averaged in this Maine NH stretch but it looks like Drew is well behind the curve and has a lot of ground to make up.

he'll not set any supported record this go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Saw where Drew updated his blog. Says he's gone 597 miles in 19 days. That's an average of 31.4 miles a day.
    I don't know what Jen Davis averaged in this Maine NH stretch but it looks like Drew is well behind the curve and has a lot of ground to make up.
    (This was written Sunday – sorry for the late post!)
    Oops- he wrote that post on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Drew is well behind the curve and has a lot of ground to make up.
    Oh didn't you hear, God told him it was ok if he doesn't break the record, it was a test, and he passed... well he failed... but he passed. it one of those weird things where if you are religious you can justify anything as Gods plan.. I have always seen it as a copout, God this, God that... God saved me from the tornado..... I have always wondered.... who do you think sent the tornado in the first place ??

http://drewburnett.wordpress.com/

33 mpd. ain't gonna be no record

http://drewburnett.wordpress.com/

33 mpd. ain't gonna be no record
    Not even a contender.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    Oh didn't you hear, God told him it was ok if he doesn't break the record, it was a test, and he passed... well he failed... but he passed. it one of those weird things where if you are religious you can justify anything as Gods plan.. I have always seen it as a copout, God this, God that... God saved me from the tornado..... I have always wondered.... who do you think sent the tornado in the first place ??
    Well, I don't know about any of that...but this is a pretty interesting party topic.

I'd have to say the Tornado.jpg

I don't know if anyone is following Drew anymore since his shot at the record was lost long ago, but he is still running the trail. His day to set the record was Sunday but he came up 425.6 miles short. Here is a plot of his progress. I didn't spend much time on it. The mileages in his blog posting have not been very consistent or accurate, and rarely has given actual locations. As a result, the graph is just based on estimates using the numbers he did post. The red line is the JPD pace (linear). For fun I calculated how fast he would have gone if he had done the same miles per day, but without taking Sundays off (green line).

Capture.JPG

Images

It goes to show that in order to set a record, you not only have to be extremely well conditioned as Drew is, you need lady luck on your side. I'd be willing to say that the best trail conditioned man or women in the world could not set the record when the weather turns bad, and/or your support crew is not functioning due to bad luck or inexperience... or insufficient finances .

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    It goes to show that in order to set a record, you not only have to be extremely well conditioned as Drew is, you need lady luck on your side. I'd be willing to say that the best trail conditioned man or women in the world could not set the record when the weather turns bad, and/or your support crew is not functioning due to bad luck or inexperience... or insufficient finances .
    Or if taking Sunday off.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Seatbelt, Exactly my thoughts. It is just about impossible to know how hard it is without seeing it first hand. He is young, a strong runner....but I love ultra running, and found there to little comparison between my toughest non-AT runs and slogging thru southern Maine and New Hampshire. But good luck to him! I know it is controversial but personally I like to read about AT record attempts.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++