WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campsites north of Siler Bald

We are planning a section hike in May, 2014. Don't like the .5 mile into Siler Bald shelter, are there any campsites north of there before Wine Spring??

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman4851 View Post
    We are planning a section hike in May, 2014. Don't like the .5 mile into Siler Bald shelter, are there any campsites north of there before Wine Spring??
    You mean like on top of Siler Bald?

But Id say the bald is about 0.3 miles off the trail too, and a bit up. However, its not to be missed anyway, and if your there, might as well camp.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-01-2014 at 20:05.

If your not a purist, the shelter loop around the bald is a whole lot eaiser then staying on the AT. I don't belive there are any suitable campsites between there and Wine spring, but then, I've never had a need to look for one. Starting at Wayha gap, your paralleling the forest service road all the way to the top of Wayah bald and the trail kisses and crosses it in several places along the climb. There is a picnic area between Siler and Wayah you could camp at, but that is right next to a road. So long as it isn't a weekend, might not be too bad there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you don't want to climb Siler's Bald for the awesome views, there is a grassy clearing where the side trail to the bald intersects the AT. There is a picnic area about 1/2 to 1 mile north of here by a paved road, but as pointed out, I can't recall if camping is permitted. No water at both mentioned places. If you do take the side trail to Siler's Bald shelter for water, the blue blaze north from the shelter back towards the intersection of the AT is VERY steep but pretty short. Have fun.

I think the OP is likely starting at Franklin and wants to go farther then the 4 miles to Siler bald shelter, but not the 11 miles to Wayha bald shelter. In that case, Wine spring is the only good option, but at that point you've done most of the work and might as well drag yourself the couple of extra miles to the Wayha shelter. Of course, it all depends on the weather and how early a start you have. If you got a cold, rainy day, stopping at Siler may seem to be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I think the OP is likely starting at Franklin and wants to go farther then the 4 miles to Siler bald shelter, but not the 11 miles to Wayha bald shelter. In that case, Wine spring is the only good option, but at that point you've done most of the work and might as well drag yourself the couple of extra miles to the Wayha shelter. Of course, it all depends on the weather and how early a start you have. If you got a cold, rainy day, stopping at Siler may seem to be a good idea.
    Agree 100%.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I read the original post as wanting to avoid the 0.5 mile side trail to Siler Bald Shelter.

Hiking northbound, the northern side trail to the shelter turns right off the AT just as you enter Siler Gap, while an unmarked trail to the Bald goes left and upward through a cleared field. You could camp in the Gap, but if you head the other direction from the trail going up the Bald down an old woods road you will see a nice tenting area in the trees to the right. I found it when I was looking for a tree to hang my food, and ended up dragging my tent from the side of the AT into the trees.

NNan-008.jpg
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

When I went through there last spring, I turned off towards the shelter, but saw a path (old woods road from the looks of it) going up towards the bald so I followed that. It climbed for a bit, but didn't go up to the bald. Instead it came out at the north end of the shelter loop. I saw some faint blazes along the way, so I guess it was the old AT route. I'm not sure if it was the same one Kerosene found or was a different one. I bet there are a bunch of little clearings like that in the area.

But if you don't go to the shelter, you'd have to lug your water all the way up from near the road, so I think it's pretty much pointless to try and avoid the shelter. You'll be going there for water anyway.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    But if you don't go to the shelter, you'd have to lug your water all the way up from near the road, so I think it's pretty much pointless to try and avoid the shelter. You'll be going there for water anyway.
    Yep, we ended up walking down to the shelter to re-fill our water bottles and eat breakfast the next morning. However, we didn't have the gnats bugging us back at our tentsite, but they were out in force (mid-May) atop Siler Bald the prior evening and at the shelter that morning.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Thanks guys... Our intent was to avoid what we think is a significant drop down to the shelter (mud)... Sounds like there is some openings we can take advantage of. Do think we will climb to top to the bald.... Don't like to pass up kodak moments.... Thanks again

++ New Posts ++