WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommendation for tarp guy-lines and bear-bag line

Any suggestions on what size line to use for tarp guy-lines and bear bags and what length line for a bear-bag?

For lines bearing significant loads, if you do not want to pay for expensive low stretch-high strength line, I'd stick with basic paracord. Braided mason's twine works for lighter duty needs.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

I use an Equinox bear bag that includes a rock bag and line. Cost $30 Waterproof and durable.

Images

40 to 50 feet of the line that you can get here: www.lawsonequipment.com or www.zpacks.com I like the 1.75 slick line.

I use braided mason's line for bear bagging. 50' is practically weightless and strong enough to hoist a couple of full bags if needed. The stuff I got is neon pink, which makes it easy to see too.

I was recently asking myself the same question. I settled on " 275 Paracord 2.8mm " since I thought 550 was overkill. I purchased it off a paracord seller on eBay at $7 for 100'.

Work's great for my tarps guy lines and also for bear bagging! Super strong, but really minimal bulk.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For a Bear Bag, I would suggest some high strength line:http://lawsonequipment.com/Dyneema-I...ange-p514.html What I like about it is it is dual use... It's strong enough that in a pinch, you can use it as a safety line. I wouldn't go repelling with it, but I recently found the need to use mine as a safety line when I forgot to clip my tent to my pack and it slipped out of its binding and went sliding down a 45º embankment.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 04-21-2014 at 01:34. Reason: Fix Link

Zing-It 1.75 mm. I use it for tarp ridge lines, bear bag lines, and guy lines. Sometimes it's a little slick for guy lines, though, so I use a very small braided line as well. Also, I use a very small shock cord on guy outs on my silnylon tarps to counteract the 'sag' that happens in wet weather.

You can get Zing-it at Go2Marine or Redden Marine for about $21.00 for 180 feet. Very good deal at 11.6 cents a foot.

Kelty Triptease for tent guyline.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Kelty Triptease for tent guyline.
    Lawson also has some glow wire that's a little cheaper (especially if you want 100' of it) than Kelty Triptease and comes in multiple colors.
    The glow wire is slightly smaller (2.4mm v 3mm) but slightly heavier (1.6oz /50' vs 1.0 oz/50') than the Triptease.

I would not recommend mason twine for bear bagging. I started out my thru with that and a bear snapped it at Slaughter Creek campsite and got my food bag. I picked up parachute cord at Neels Gap and used that the rest of the way. I now use Z line from Z packs.
    More walking, less talking.

Zing It or Kelty Triptease. I like the Triptease because it doesn't knot up as easily and it has a reflective thread in it so you can see it in the dark or under a head lamp's light.

++ New Posts ++