WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Stecoah Gap parking safety

Planning on a section hike, either starting or ending at Stecoah Gap.... I have seen the notes in this link - http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/ - and it mentioned vandalism, but that was 2006.

Anyone know if there are still issues in that area ??

Stecoah Gap is on a reasonably busy highway, so I would think the risk is minimual, although there is always a risk anywhere you park overnight or for a few days.

Just take the usual percausions of leaving nothing valuable in sight to temp anyone. I leave my doors unlocked in the hope anyone who wants to rumage around inside can do so without breaking a window - if thier smart enough to try the door first.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have parked there with no problems for a weekens in 2010. I think that this kind of thing happens from time to time but rumors build and everyone thinks it happens. Just take everything out of your car, and I put a sign on the driver side window "be back in 20 minutes". People dont know when you started so you must be "right around the corner" and I have never had any problems.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Stecoah is really busy road. That can work for, or against you.

Parked there for a section hike a couple weeks ago with no issue. Of course, it was also thru-hiker season so very busy with hikers and trail magic folks. I did quite a bit of research before parking there and didn't find anything outside the norm.

Ryan

++ New Posts ++