WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Southern Upland Way (Scotland)

Hey there everyone,

I am planning my next adventure and I am thinking about hiking this end to end. Has anyone on here hiked this trail before?

I am from the US, so my main concern is not knowing much about the trail's surroundings. How easy is it to get to and from the trail heads?

What season is the best, in your opinion? I am thinking of doing it in either Spring of Fall.

Thank you!!
    -Salad Days
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

Images

Have hiked some in Scotland, but not on this trail. My thoughts; the elevations might not be all that great in Scotland but trails are often exposed to strong winds which are a challenge. Rains a lot, trails are often soggy for miles. I've hiked mostly in April / May and weather is very changeable. Learn about midges. Check the latitude, Scotland is really far north, it is as far north as Labrador / Newfoundland and a cold blast from the north Atlantic or Norwegian sea can arrive anytime in Spring or Fall. I was hiking around Ben Nevis in May '12 and got snowed on. There is excellent inter city bus service that serves even what Americans would call remote villages. Scotts love to walk, also it is a great destination for international visitors. Trails are well defined but intersections can be confusing. Fog can seriously limit visibility. Many small hostels along the trails I've walked and frequent pubs at road crossings. Trails often cross private land and while there is a "right to walk" as long as you respect the private property, I come away with the impression that sleeping in a hostel or defined campground is preferred to wild camping. Many young people. Last November, I bunked for two nights at a hostel in Ft William and shared a room with two 20 something girls from Thailand, 2 South Korean ladies, and a guy from Chech republic. People are ultra friendly. I'd advise against discussing Scottish independence from the UK. Buy a good guide book. Enjoy.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Images

Also, I did some research to see how people got into trouble while walking/ hiking in Scotland. The Scotts have an extensive network of mountain rescue teams. Have a look here,

http://www.mountainrescuescotland.org

That they exist is reason enough for me to understand the potential risks.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    Also, I did some research to see how people got into trouble while walking/ hiking in Scotland. The Scotts have an extensive network of mountain rescue teams. Have a look here,

http://www.mountainrescuescotland.org

That they exist is reason enough for me to understand the potential risks.
    Thank you for the info! Very interesting about the mountain rescue.

I have a guide book on order and will decide once it arrives.

Thanks again,
    Salad Days
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

It's on my must do hiking list.

Been in the Scottish Highlands. Few trees and very exposed. Scots are awesome people and you should have a great time. Beware the Guiness!!

++ New Posts ++