WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Formerly CoralRives
    Images

Question Trail MaGic questions for AT pros.

Hey gang; it has been a LOOOONG time since I logged on here. I attempted a thru-hike in 2007, my trail name was Boat Drinks, and went from GA to VA and got off. Trail Magic was one of my favorite things and I swore I'd give back one day. Now I'm ready but I've been out of the AT community loop for a while so I need some advice. I'd like to set up near Waynesboro VA so I need to know A. Is Waynesboro VA a good area for setting up and running a shuttle into town or should I move away from the town a bit and 2. When would be a good time to help out the most hikers? Thanks for your help!
    "Be good and you will be lonesome" M. Twain

There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone

Journal Entries

I could have used a lift there, I made the mistake of starting to walk to town, and there is no place for a car to pull over once you get past a certain point. It seems like a good one to me.

Any help would be appreciated, no doubt. The thing about Waynesboro, though, is that it's already a pretty easy hitch, and there's even a network of trail angels that hikers can call from Rockfish Gap. If you wanted to have a bigger impact, you might consider offering rides at either US 60 (it's a long and hit-or-miss hitch into Buena Vista and back) or US 501 / Va. 130 (a likewise long, sometimes difficult hitch to Glasgow). I've already seen a small, but steady stream of through-hikers (early starters) in the Roanoke area, but the crest of the wave, so to speak, will probably be in mid-May to early-June.

Hey welcome back Boat Drinks!! I agree with Southerner on the timing of "the wave". I'm sure anything you do will be much appreciated.

Maybe you should see if you can move into town for a feed? Perhaps between the Y and the hiker pavilion at he greenway trailhead, or the pavilion itself, or the hostel. Get in touch with www.visitwaynesboro.com

Based on "need" I'd say the James River (Rte. 501) locale would be most appreciated. But maybe that's just me.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Based on "need" I'd say the James River (Rte. 501) locale would be most appreciated. But maybe that's just me.
    I second this!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

I think I hike with you back in 07.
    Pootz 07

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    There is someone that gives rides in Glasgow. I have never met the person nor do I know anything about the service. I took this off of the Glasgow town website.
    Taxi Service Now AvailableE’S-Y Riders Rate CardCall Eric 24-7 @ 540-461-2467
    • Local pick-up $10 ($2/mile after 1st 5 miles)
    • Rates available in Glasgow Town Hall

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

++ New Posts ++