WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gear for a newbie.

My girlfriend and I are going to be taking her younger brother on a trip this summer to the smokies. We have basically all he needs, except for a pack and shelter. I would like to keep things lightweight and cheap (<$160 for both if possible). I was thinking Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout bought used and a Golite Jam 50. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

If it is a one time need, have you considered renting? Many full service outfitters have rental gear.

See, I believe he will really enjoy it, so I would rather drop a few bucks to own quality gear just in case he wants to continue joining us (he's kind of into bushcraft and hunting, and is very eager to try backpacking).

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Not to mention having loaner gear is never a bad thing!

If you want a decent pack for little money, you can try High Sierra. I have two of their packs(because I can't afford a good pack) and have know complaints and it's been three or four years now. I would not load more than 25lbs.-30lbs. in it though. Their replacement policy is "Life-time, unconditional against manufactures defect. They have you cut a 3"x5" hole in the lid(easily patched by the way) and send them a picture of it and they will send you the same or a comparable pack, that way you also don't pay shipping. Good company to deal with.

As far as shelter goes; Check the "For Sale Section", there is always tents for sale. I assume you are looking for a 1-person tent?

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

"lightweight and cheap" will be your challenge, as it is for all of us. Seriously, if you have the shelter and backpack already chosen, the heavier items remaining are his sleep system (bag and pad). You could go with a Z-Lite sleeping pad, and since you're talking summer, a lightweight 40 degree bag or summer quilt on sale. Keep it simple and enjoyable as possible. My advice when deciding on buying gear for a newbie is don't splurge on anything for a first hike, you don't know if they will want to keep doing this or decide it isn't their cup of tea. Keep it fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas5052 View Post
    My girlfriend and I are going to be taking her younger brother on a trip this summer to the smokies. We have basically all he needs, except for a pack and shelter. I would like to keep things lightweight and cheap (<$160 for both if possible). I was thinking Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout bought used and a Golite Jam 50. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I do have it pretty dialed in on what I want (the jam and scout, or a great deal on a Ula cdt and tarptent contrail (like that will happen!) I was just wondering if there were any other suggestions. Luckily, I do have everything else he will need besides these two items.

++ New Posts ++