WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shelter Gardens- Anybody like the idea?

I think it would be awesome for there to be shelter produce! not a big spot but a few tomato plants, cucumber etc at permitting shelters and witha very little amount of effort from each hiker it could be maintained just about every day. a fresh cucumber or tomato would be a delight on the trail and the whole concept could give people a sense of teamwork or connection.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Wouldn't work for a lot of reasons. For instance, how would you keep wildlife from eating the plants?
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Images

+1 Hot Flash. I have enough problems in my back yard, trying to keep mine alive.

Plus, I can't remember too many shelters with enough sunshine (6-8 hours+ per day) to have the plants thrive.

Nice idea , though.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Still a cool thought...

It is a little like the practice of gathering firewood to leave at the fire pit for the next guy...

I like it.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

OP's idea actually touches on Benton MacKaye's original concept for the AT.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I've been at a shelter that actually had flowers in baskets and they were beautiful. I think that veggies really wouldn't work for the reasons listed above and a bunch of others. But what about planting herbs? They wouldn't be a temptation to animals, require less maintenance and some can thrive in dim light. Plus a little goes a long way so more hikers could benefit.

The biggest kicker here is that many hikers are probably not green thumbs and could overwater/overpick or otherwise kill the plants. Specific instructions would have to be left about when to/not to harvest and how to care for the plants. Overall, I like the idea.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I've been at a shelter that actually had flowers in baskets and they were beautiful.
    The Clarendon shelter in Vermont comes to mind. I seem to remember one or two others with flowers. The other problem with a veggie garden is only a lucky few at the end of the season would be able to pick the fruits of the labor as it were.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

the flip side of the "most plants wouldn't survive" coin is that you might plant something that winds up being invasive or otherwise detrimental to the local flora/fauna

Images

[QUOTE=FarmerChef;1873215].............................But what about planting herbs? They wouldn't be a temptation to animals, require less maintenance and some can thrive in dim light. Plus a little goes a long way so more hikers could benefit.

................................................ Specific instructions would have to be left about when to/not to harvest and how to care for the plants. ...............................QUOTE]

Herbs wouldn't be too bad, but I'm wondering if they would become an invasive species. I'm thinking of all the problems I had with mint in my yard in VA. I have it safely contained in a pot now so it can't spread. It would be nice to grab a leaf or two of basil or thyme to share with other hikers while making meals.

Specific instructions ???? We all know how well THAT works. I've seen people who can't/won't work the privy with dry leaves in a bucket beside them, let alone with an EMPTY bucket.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Oregano I planted at my cabin has run amok. Best to be careful.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Several tomato plants at a shelter could easily be protected by chicken wire.

Quarry Gap has hanging flower baskets, they could just as easily be hanging tomato plants.

I've picked apples from trees along the AT and of course plenty of blueberries up north.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    the flip side of the "most plants wouldn't survive" coin is that you might plant something that winds up being invasive or otherwise detrimental to the local flora/fauna
    +1

The idea that any plant that is pretty or useful is 'natural' and therefore acceptable to plant anywhere has gone wrong many times before. I think a garden of native plants would be cool, but isn't that just called a forest? Best we leave that to mother nature, in my opinion. She does a fine job, if we'd just let her be.

Ok, garden is out but what about a solar-powered fridge with beer?

+1 for solarbeerfridge!!

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Ok, garden is out but what about a solar-powered fridge with beer?
    Combine the ideas. A garden with barley and hops plus the brewing and beer storage. A brewhut.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I think it would be awesome for there to be shelter produce! not a big spot but a few tomato plants, cucumber etc at permitting shelters and witha very little amount of effort from each hiker it could be maintained just about every day. a fresh cucumber or tomato would be a delight on the trail and the whole concept could give people a sense of teamwork or connection.

You want to give the bears, deer, raccoons, etc. more reason to like shelters?
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

But what about planting herbs? They wouldn't be a temptation to animals, require less maintenance and some can thrive in dim light. Plus a little goes a long way so more hikers could benefit.

The biggest kicker here is that many hikers are probably not green thumbs and could overwater/overpick or otherwise kill the plants. Specific instructions would have to be left about when to/not to harvest and how to care for the plants. Overall, I like the idea.

I saw this basket of herbs hanging at spring mountain shelter a couple of years ago. It had instructions for care written on it, just like you referenced. There were four or five small plants growing in it at the time.

-tagg

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I saw this basket of herbs hanging at spring mountain shelter a couple of years ago. It had instructions for care written on it, just like you referenced. There were four or five small plants growing in it at the time.

Awesome! Unique act of kindness

But what about planting herbs? They wouldn't be a temptation to animals, require less maintenance and some can thrive in dim light.
    Oh yes they certainly are a temptation to animals.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

I like the idea, but it wouldn't work for many of the reasons (and more) already listed. I doubt you'd really have an issue with invasive plants, especially things like tomatoes and such, since they're pretty helpless in nature. Although, maybe there's an exception, but don't think it would be to bad WRT speading invasive plants.

And I do wonder if it would be more disruptive in areas with old growth forests, such as GSMNP than in other areas that have not yet regained old growth status.

It's always an interesting thought of introducing life in an area...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++