WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tin Cooking Pot

Default Tin Cooking Pot

Does anyone use a tin cooking pot while on the trail? Not a stamped pot, but an old style tin pot.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tin pot". Please tell us more.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I would assume that he's talking about cook pots made from tin dipped iron sheet, much like what I've carried as my cup -- http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=4049

i wouldn't see much of a market among hikers for the simple reason that they would be heavy and high maintenance. Over time the tinning is scratched and worn off exposing the iron to oxidation. I carry my cup for nostalgia but I do not understand why a hiker would want to spend money on such a pot when aluminum is lighter and cheaper.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    i wouldn't see much of a market among hikers for the simple reason that they would be heavy and high maintenance. Over time the tinning is scratched and worn off exposing the iron to oxidation. I carry my cup for nostalgia but I do not understand why a hiker would want to spend money on such a pot when aluminum is lighter and cheaper.
    Yes you do have to take care of tin more so than Ti, or aluminum. I prefer handmade gear. Also I buy mainly products that are made in the U.S.A.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mesa View Post
    Yes you do have to take care of tin more so than Ti, or aluminum. I prefer handmade gear. Also I buy mainly products that are made in the U.S.A.
    I do not mean to be insulting on this, but really want to know, given this post, if you are asking if people are willing to buy products in the USA that are functionally obsolete just because they are made in the USA?

Mods, due to the recent Whiteblaze slowdown which I assume was due to my exclusion of a thread, and resolved almost miraculously after I stated it may be the problem that I have been excluded, and common courtesy which I am requesting, If I am out of line please tell me, talk to me, teach me, I am open and very willing to listen, please lets open the channels of communication - please don't banana me or exclude me from a discussion, talk to me and let me know please.

Images

I remember reading some old camping and woodcraft volumes speaking of the tinned pots and pans. You had to watch the heat from the fire; it would melt the solder (!) from, say, the spout of your coffee pot, or maybe the handle, and it'd drop off into the fire. I was surprised, you can still get some of the old fashioned tinned pots, if you're willing to pay the price. It's retro, but sometimes that can be really fun.

Some are soldered. But one you would be cooking in would have what is called a double seam. Then the bottom would not need any solder.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I do not mean to be insulting on this, but really want to know, given this post, if you are asking if people are willing to buy products in the USA that are functionally obsolete just because they are made in the USA?

Mods, due to the recent Whiteblaze slowdown which I assume was due to my exclusion of a thread, and resolved almost miraculously after I stated it may be the problem that I have been excluded, and common courtesy which I am requesting, If I am out of line please tell me, talk to me, teach me, I am open and very willing to listen, please lets open the channels of communication - please don't banana me or exclude me from a discussion, talk to me and let me know please.
    I was just asking a question to get others feelings on the subject. I do not sell any tin items. I ask because there is a huge collection of knowledge here in one spot. So this is a good place to learn things.

Images

This little book is about a fella that retraces Hemingway's steps, complete with similar equipment, in "Big Two-Hearted River". Guy went to some effort to get similar gear, including tin pots, as part of his "retro trip". I enjoyed it, but then, I got it for free before the price went up. Makes you appreciate more modern gear.

I just enjoy studying about the old gear and ways of doing things. I will check that book out Hikes In Rain!

Images

I enjoy it as well. Some of my old gear could likely be classified as "classics". And, to quote Jim Butcher, "my resume includes a laundry list of skills that were useful a couple of centuries ago."

I used old gear in the 50's and 60's. Tin pots, army boots, army wool sleeping bags, canvas packs etc. It's over rated. The old days were not as much fun as remembering the old day.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I enjoy it as well. Some of my old gear could likely be classified as "classics". And, to quote Jim Butcher, "my resume includes a laundry list of skills that were useful a couple of centuries ago."
    I know how you feel!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I used old gear in the 50's and 60's. Tin pots, army boots, army wool sleeping bags, canvas packs etc. It's over rated. The old days were not as much fun as remembering the old day.
    Wholeheartedly agree!

++ New Posts ++