WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Connecticut Section hike..

Hello everyone. First post to the forum..

Anyone have any experience or tips for CT section of the AT? That will be my first section, though not my first backpacking trip.

Thanks!!

Journal Entries

It's a very nice section of trail, I hike it often, I also organize hikes for others there. Many easy to get to town options, or you can avoid at your choice, no services directly on the trail that I can remember so out of sight out of mind, but for most hitching is not required as they are pretty close.

Typical of the Taconics (this mountain range), a lot has to do with getting up on a ridge and staying up for a bit. No open fires are allowed, I do not believe woods stoves would be allowed either.

The town of Kent CT some thru hikers have reported not feeling welcome, and there was a note in the trail log's that the launderymat in Kent will not allow thru hikers in. I didn't go to Kent during my thru.

This is also among the highest cost section of the AT, if you do stop for food, drink or lodging expect to pay more then any other section of the trail. Fortunately it is one of the shortest and one can get through easially w/o a stop, or just one in Salsbury.

The walk along the Housatonic and Ten Mile River are very nice and some good views on some punchy climbs. If it is hot the rivers will be nice for a swim. You will rarely be going only up or only down for a long period of time, more rolling (or pan flat along the river).

Salisbury is a cute trail town for a burger stop only 0.2 off the trail while Kent will have a bit more options.

Thanks guys. I'm originally from Connecticut, so I know all to well their attitudes and how expensive it can be.
    A thru hike right now for me is impossible (work, wife, baby... not always that order) and my mother lives not too far from the trail.

My buddy and I are planning for October, and taking our time. Maybe taking an extra day or so to camp Housatonic Meadows. We've been there before and they have some nice sites near the creek.

I don't have the fondest memories of hiking the CT section. It wasn't bad but wasn't memorable for me either. I'm from CT too, and if I had 4-5 days I'd definitely hike just about anywhere else. Granted, hiking is hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    I don't have the fondest memories of hiking the CT section. It wasn't bad but wasn't memorable for me either. I'm from CT too, and if I had 4-5 days I'd definitely hike just about anywhere else. Granted, hiking is hiking!
    I'm from MA and I'd say CT and MA were probably the two least interesting states on the AT. My hike through CT was in awfully hot weather so that may have some bearing on my assessment.

I recall what seemed like hours walking through woods and being assailed by the noise from the Lime Rock race track. Not my idea of a good time. (Not unlike the AT just south of I-84 in New York.)

Ah yes. The race track. Super annoying. That will rob what seems to be 1/8 of your trip as the section isn't long..

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I'm from MA and I'd say CT and MA were probably the two least interesting states on the AT. My hike through CT was in awfully hot weather so that may have some bearing on my assessment.

I recall what seemed like hours walking through woods and being assailed by the noise from the Lime Rock race track. Not my idea of a good time. (Not unlike the AT just south of I-84 in New York.)
    I guess that depends what you're into. I thoroughly enjoy standing at the handglider lookout and watching a couple of Miata's buzzing around the track. I've been through that section 3 or 4 times and to me it's a highlight. It's also fun to think that back in the day Paul Newman could be seen doing laps there.

FWIW, I totally understand how that isn't everyone's idea of a good time.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 04-29-2014 at 21:47.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Not saying CT sucked, just that it was a bit... underwhelming. I had issues with the heat and my gear. I remember: fireflies in the meadow in front of Ten Mile shelter, the river walks, and a gorgeous meadow view just north of Limestone Spring Lean-to. Stayed at Maria McCabe’s place, that was nice. A cold beer from the store at Falls Village. (Where I had an unintentional but not unwelcome blue blaze.) Sages Ravine was beautiful... I regretted leaving there.

I've got a friend who used to teach Technology at a local high school. Each year they'd build an electric car and at some point they'd take it down to Lime Rock to race against other teams. I think electric cars would be quieter.

Well, not a total loss. This was Lion's Head, just after leaving Maria's place. It was like 95 degrees that afternoon.

PICT0050R.jpg

Meadow view just south of Salisbury. It was early AM but you can already see the haze in the sky.

PICT0038.jpg

Images

No really Connecticut sucks...........I've lived here most of my life...............but, the view from Riga Shelter at sunrise must be taken it. The river walk is along a top notch trout and small mouth river. There are some regular folk in that area. The climb up the north side of Bear Mtn. isn't Beaver Brook Falls trail. Those 2 or 3 hrs you hear the race cars is at least in easy terrain. But, I haven't hiked up there in a while.......pics later!

Thanks everyone. I'd love to be able to hit a different section first, but it is what it is, ya know.

I've hiked along the river road up there before (mostly looking for breeding Cerulean warblers... coolest bird out there!), and I always wanted to go a bit further.

At least it'll be good weather when I go in the fall.

Just dress like all the preppies and look like a Harvard or Yale alum. in Kent and you should blend right in; plus there are "in" fashion colones and perfumes that are au courant. As for the hiking trails, bears and snakes aren't that bad, though a hiker from the south "Allegheny" was bitten by one rattler at Lion's head a few years back but supposedly it was non-venomous, which you can't exactly say for the laudromat lady in Kent. Too bad the shelters are so low grade compared to some up north. The A/T was rerouted from over Mohawk mountain many years ago, due to property owners' complaints. Too bad as that was a good section.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I guess that depends what you're into. I thoroughly enjoy standing at the handglider lookout and watching a couple of Miata's buzzing around the track. I've been through that section 3 or 4 times and to me it's a highlight. It's also fun to think that back in the day Paul Newman could be seen doing laps there.

Hey Sarcasm,

That's a great pic.

A great thing about the trail is the diversity. I can see how it would be enjoyable to sit looking out in that site.
    Trillium

When I passed through CT last year we opted to go into Kent, and spent an expensive night at the Fife 'n Drum Inn. Nice place, but most money I spent on a room during my whole AT hike. I later heard that Bearded Woods Hostel was one of the best on the whole trail, and I regret not having stayed there. I may go back and hike through CT this summer with a friend who's section hiking, and if we do, I definitely hope to check Bearded Woods out.

www.trailjournals.com/LadyGrey

For a little perspective, it might help to know that Lime Rock Park has been an active racetrack since 1956, and for years the AT was at some distance. The relocation off of Mohawk Mountain brought the AT to the track, not vice versa.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

"It's all good." Looking down on a racetrack, even with all that noise, well, it's a part of hiking, just as is doing the NJ/NY section and realizing you're in suburbia and can hike from deli to deli, or sweating up a long grade in NC, or trying to keep from losing it on a sketchy scramble in NH, or spending days getting through the Maine woods. I like hiking through a campground and enjoying my 15 minutes of fame playing Twenty Questions with the locals, or bushwhacking to a trailless peak and not seeing anyone all weekend.

And thanks for the bit of Paul Newman trivia. Someday it'll make a great bit of color to throw into a trip report. (For me, it's as much about the tales as the trails!)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++