WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Slickrock Crossing

I was out on the BMT during April and have some pics and vids to share regarding the wonderful Slickrock Creek crossing which is part of the BMT.

Here are a series of shot taken at the crossing and heading south on the Mac. It's Thomas and Chantelle with their 2 dogs.

It looks easy but it ain't---oh and it's cold.

Chantelle stops in the middle and requires an extra hiking pole from her Thomas.

Almost finished!

Thumb's Up she made it!

The next day I run into three backpackers from NC who get stymied at the regular crossing so I lead them downstream a couple hundred feet and directly across from the established "Sgt Rock Campsite" where the creek is wider and the crossing much easier. Take note, future Mac hikers.

Tipi... great vids of the creek crossings on this trail.

Every time I see someone posting on the BMT, I always ask about Hikerboy57.. he's on that trail now. Did you see him?

Images

HB57 is in GSMNP with The Blue Meanie!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    HB57 is in GSMNP with The Blue Meanie!
    Got ya... thanks Coach!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Got ya... thanks Coach!
    You are very welcome, my.................ah............................. .friend?

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    You are very welcome, my.................ah............................. .friend?
    Always...........

Images

HB and Rasty hiked the new reroute. Walter, we will be up there working next week if you want to hike on by.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Thanks Walter!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    HB and Rasty hiked the new reroute. Walter, we will be up there working next week if you want to hike on by.
    Of course the Stiffknee trail is in bad shape with dozens/hundreds of deadfall and branches and such (but easy to hike around)---while the Ike Branch from Yellowhammer Gap down to Slickrock Creek is in excellent shape except for these two big blowdowns---too big for my pissant saw---

Blowdown #1 on Ike Branch between YH Gap and SK Creek.

Blowdown #2 which is now a "rootball express" whereby hikers have to hump up the hill around the root.

Images

5/3 I crossed the new reroute on my thru. Followed the yellow ribbons over the ridge the whole way. At the end got turned around and accidentally backtracked on the service road back down the mountain a couple miles. Returned to the power line, back on trail to green gap and down to the dam area. Very nice hike! Brushes some of the Boy Scout steps off do they're easier to see.

Images

"Brushed some of the Boy Scout steps off so they're easier to see"

Quote Originally Posted by Bagge Pants View Post
    5/3 I crossed the new reroute on my thru. Followed the yellow ribbons over the ridge the whole way. At the end got turned around and accidentally backtracked on the service road back down the mountain a couple miles. Returned to the power line, back on trail to green gap and down to the dam area. Very nice hike! Brushes some of the Boy Scout steps off do they're easier to see.
    What's the water situation like on the new reroute/YCMT?? I see on Rock's map of a "seep" and a stream near FS road 251B. I hope to backpack this new reroute (I've done it several times in 2003---hellish) and set up a camp somewhere if there's water closeby.

Images

Walter I've found three water sources that are not actually on the trail, but no more than 0.4 miles off the trail. I plan to update the maps sometime soon. We just finished working with the American Hiking Society and have opened all but 0.5 miles of the new reroute. Thursday they will probably be putting up some signs and maybe digging in some side-hill a little better. But I can't wait for you to hike it Walter and tell me what you think since you have hiked the trail in the recent past.

I plan to write up a more complete report and furnish maps here in the next few days so folks will have something to guide off of.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Walter I've found three water sources that are not actually on the trail, but no more than 0.4 miles off the trail. I plan to update the maps sometime soon. We just finished working with the American Hiking Society and have opened all but 0.5 miles of the new reroute. Thursday they will probably be putting up some signs and maybe digging in some side-hill a little better. But I can't wait for you to hike it Walter and tell me what you think since you have hiked the trail in the recent past.

I plan to write up a more complete report and furnish maps here in the next few days so folks will have something to guide off of.
    Thanks a bunch for your trailwork on this most remote and underused vestige of what once was the AT. I notice on your map you have the actual trail marked in pink on Section 2 and the logging road in red/white/green. Which route do you recommend, the trail or the old road? Is your water locations mentioned on Section 2 from the trail or the road?? I notice your Section 2 description concerns the road and not the pink trail? Should I hike the road as described (and get water) or stick to the pink trail??

The reason I ask is because I'm planning on pulling this trail on my May trip and hope to camp several nights at different locations on this 6 to 9 mile trail (I'll be continuing onward past Green Gap/Lookout Rock to Walker Gap on the old YCMT).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Thanks a bunch for your trailwork on this most remote and underused vestige of what once was the AT. I notice on your map you have the actual trail marked in pink on Section 2 and the logging road in red/white/green. Which route do you recommend, the trail or the old road? Is your water locations mentioned on Section 2 from the trail or the road?? I notice your Section 2 description concerns the road and not the pink trail? Should I hike the road as described (and get water) or stick to the pink trail??
    I'll be making a new map. The newly mostly completed route is all the YCMT except for 0.5 miles. Basic description:

-- 0.5 mile road walk from Slickrock Creek trail head to Meadow Branch Road. From there take the foot bridge (soon to be replaced).
    -- 1.8 miles from Meadow Branch to Old Field Gap Road. 2 nice views and a dry campsite on a side trail 0.2 miles from Old Field Gap Road.
    -- From the gate on FS251 walk the FS road 0.5 miles until you see a trail on the left leading up to the ridge. Take that trail up about 100 yards and join the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail (YCMT).
    -- Once on that trail, you will continue 0.8 miles to the next gap where a FS road (FS251A) crosses the trail at Halfmile Branch Gap. At this point you can take the left on the road and walk 0.4 miles to water. Halfway to the water is a clearing which could be a nice campsite. There is also a goop place to set up a tent right at the gap.
    -- From Halfmile Branch Gap continue up the YCMT 0.5 miles on switchbacks to a gap that was once full of briers but should now be clear. This is FS251B. If you go down FS251B 0.3 miles you will hit FS251. Water is to the right about 0.1 miles down this road. There are some possible campsites at the gap and near the intersection.
    -- Past FS251B you will climb 0.7 miles until YCMT runs into FS251C which you will know by the field. At this point is the best campsite I've found - take a right down FS251C about 0.3 miles and you will find a small field with nice views. It looks like maybe the Forest Service is making a planted feed plot for wildlife here. Just below the campsite in a draw (to the west of the field) is a spring. This is also the last water source I have found until you get close to Fontana. So if you plan to camp east (trail north) of here, you better tank up.
    -- From the point YCMT joins FS251C, just stay traveling east along the ridge until the road runs out 0.5 miles later.
    -- From where you enter the woods, travel the ridge for 0.5 miles along the edge of a controlled burn until you get to the power line road. There is one nice view point along this section about half way.
    -- At the powerline turn right and go up slightly, then down steeply. It is about 0.2 miles along this section. There is a nice place for tenting at the edge of the powerline road at the highest point. But no water unless you find a way to dig down to the pipes underground and tap into them.
    -- You will exit the road to the LEFT on the ridge in the middle of a curve. YCMT then goes down to Kirkland Gap and starts a roller-coaster along the ridge for the next 1.7 miles.
    -- 1.7 miles later you will reach a now defunct microwave reflection tower that I've been told was installed during the construction of Fontana Dam for the works to be able to communicate to the outside world.
    -- 0.2 past the tower you will reach the highest point of the Yellow Creek Mountain complex. A nice flat spot up here could be used as a dry campsite.
    -- From the top, the trail descends 0.4 miles to Lookout Rock. 0.2 past Lookout Rock you reach Green Gap and the BMT turns off YCMT and descends. The closest water is about 0.6 straight down this steep trail. If you are continuing to Walker Gap I've been told and have checked by map that it should be 1.7 miles to Walker Gap. The last person I heard from that hiked it said the trail between Green Gap and Walker Gap hasn't been cleared.

The reason I ask is because I'm planning on pulling this trail on my May trip and hope to camp several nights at different locations on this 6 to 9 mile trail (I'll be continuing onward past Green Gap/Lookout Rock to Walker Gap on the old YCMT).
    I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 05-07-2014 at 19:31.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Thanks Rock for this detailed description as I'll copy it and take it with me along with your maps. The good thing about walking is that things pass slowly and your directions can be studied step by step. Thanks again.

Images

Walter, had to edit one point of the description. I plan to work on the maps tonight.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

++ New Posts ++