WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mt. Rainier, Crater Lake & Redwood Nat'l Parks...anyone have any favorite hikes?

So the Mrs. and I will be vacationing in the PNW this summer and plan to spend at least a day or two in each of these National Parks. I've been doing lots of reading but thought I'd ask you fellow WBers if you have any favorite day hikes in any of these parks. Cheers!

Garlic
    Images

At Crater Lake, it's mainly a rim road and short hikes to viewpoints. The official PCT route in the park is a crummy trail, no views, pretty flat, very dry yet lots of mosquitoes--most hikers go off route and hike the rim road to get views of the lake, which is amazing. There is some pretty excellent hiking at Lava Beds NM in No Cal just south of Klamath Falls, OR, if you drive that way. Also excellent hiking in the Three Sisters area near Bend and Sisters. Newberry Crater near Bend is a lot of fun.

In Rainier, Spray Park is an excellent place to hike to. There are innumerable excellent choices at Rainier. Weather may dictate your enjoyment. Mt St Helens is an interesting NP stop in the area. Moses Lake is a great place on the dry side of the Cascades, though maybe not advisable in summer--it can get hot there. Same with Lava Beds.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I LOVE Mt. Rainier! The Skyline Trail is great, but make sure you double and triple check with the Rangers to be sure it's open - Read my story of that hike to see why I say that. The Sunrise Area also has some great hiking. We were there about a week and could have stayed longer! Check out the rest of my blogs posts from July 2010 to read all about my RV trip to Washington State.

I highly recommend North Cascades if you have the time - it's up there with Denali as one of my favorite National Parks - mostly because it's remote and there aren't many people there but the scenery is spectacular!

We spent a day hiking around Paradise last year on Labor Day weekend. It is probably the most popular part of the park, so not a good choice if you want wilderness. But there are many possible loops you can take at many different difficulties and lengths. We hiked through the meadows of wildflowers to the viewpoint looking down on the glaciers. They get more snow than anyplace in the country, so would work best if your are there late summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    We spent a day hiking around Paradise last year on Labor Day weekend....
    That's Mt Ranier NP, but you probably knew that.

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisi...ails-Aug11.pdf
    http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisi...CP_JUMP_459630

The Sunrise area at Mount Rainier won't disappoint.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The redwoods are impressive, but a small area and I don't know of much hiking there that would be longer than a mile.
    Not to say you shouldn't go check them out.

To me, crater lake was full of tourists and that always turns me off.

I'd say Ranier is your best choice of the 3 with lots of hiking there.
    But it's a NP so, lots of rules.

I also like the Sisters area for some day hiking.
    Or check out Obsidian cliffs for something you'll probably always remember.
    You didn't mention OR, but here's an idea: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide....e_Sisters_Hike
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

You will also be very close to Olympic N.P. Mountains and sea shore and rain forest.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I hiked the Wonderland Trail last year, and since then there have been many times when I wish I could snap my fingers and be back in Spray Park. Beautiful beyond belief and I had it all to myself on a clear day.

If looking for hiking in the northwest the previous link to portland hiker's field guide is helpful. Also Doug Lorain's books on Pac NW are great. Rainier is beautiful, but if looking to get outside the NP the PCT through goat roack sis amazing (and lots of loop possibilities with other trails.) Also Mt. St Helens National Monument and Mt. Margaret Backcountry area. Timberline trail around Hood. Mt Adams. 3 Sisters loop. Great loop around 3 Fingered Jack. If you are driving you can hit all of the major volcanos only an hour or so off of I-5. Make a road trip of it. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by he.who.forgets View Post
    So the Mrs. and I will be vacationing in the PNW this summer and plan to spend at least a day or two in each of these National Parks. I've been doing lots of reading but thought I'd ask you fellow WBers if you have any favorite day hikes in any of these parks. Cheers!
    There are good hikes in Mt. Rainier for any time of the year, but my recommendation varies depending on when you will be there. Some of the trails others have mentioned don't open until later in the summer.

Early hikes: The first trails to melt out are in the Longmire area.
    Wonderland Trail from Cougar Rock to Narada Falls.
    Rampart Ridge Trail

Next: Grove of the Patriarchs -- Don't miss it. It is a short walk, but has some of the largest, most beautiful trees in the park. There are other areas with large trees but they are much farther from a trail head.

July: The road to Mowich Lake usually opens around July 1. The trailhead to Spray Park is at Mowich Lake. I agree with those who recommend Spray Park.
    Indian Henry's Hunting Grounds -- The wild flowers at Indian Henry's are stunning.
    Pinnacle Peak is one of my favorites. It has wild flowers and wild life. It usually melts out by mid-July.

August: Frying Pan Creek to Summerland. Summerland is the most beautiful spot on the Wonderland Trail that can be visited on a day hike. My "top three" list are Summerland, Indian Bar and Klapatche Park.
    Sunrise -- I agree with those who suggest the trails from Sunrise. Sunrise is high enough that those trails don't melt out until late in the summer.

Wildlife - If you enjoy seeing wildlife, Summerland and Spray Park are the best sites. Both have marmots and black bears.

There are albums for each of the hikes I mentioned on my web site: http://www.davemcclung.com.
    Shutterbug

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great info...really making me that much more excited for Rainier. Just for clarification, we plan to visit all three parks for 1-2 days each in mid-late June (about the 19th-25th). We've planned most of our trip so unfortunately there's no time to explore Olympus or Cascades. These were both in the discussion early on, but these parks are what we decided on. Spray Park looks amazing, really hoping that the trails are open that early and fingers crossed for a few clear sunny days as well.

Quote Originally Posted by he.who.forgets View Post
    Wow, thanks everyone for all the great info...really making me that much more excited for Rainier. Just for clarification, we plan to visit all three parks for 1-2 days each in mid-late June (about the 19th-25th). We've planned most of our trip so unfortunately there's no time to explore Olympus or Cascades. These were both in the discussion early on, but these parks are what we decided on. Spray Park looks amazing, really hoping that the trails are open that early and fingers crossed for a few clear sunny days as well.
    Mid to Late June restricts your options, but there will still be plenty of opportunities.

The NPS web site estimates July 3 as the opening day for the roads to Mowich Lake and Sunrise. It has been my observation that those roads sometimes open later than the estimate, but never earlier.

This week was beautiful in Washington. We had record highs for this time of year Hopefully you will have some great weather while you are here. Mt. Rainier is spectacular.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

Just an FYI for anyone else, here are two really great links that offer great detail about hiking opportunities in Mt. Rainier and Redwood National Parks:
    http://www.visitrainier.com/pg/hikin...onal-Park-Area
    http://www.redwoodhikes.com/

Stop in Crescent City CA and the Redwoods NP Office there has all the beta on the trails and where the BIG BIG BIG trees are. Personally I wouldn't miss the Redwoods Creek Trail to the Big Grove. This is the site of three or four of the TALLEST trees in the world. Redwoods NP is actually not just one park but comprised of several state parks and another are called the NP. Pt Reyes Nat Seashore north of San Fran is another cool park with lots of free hiking trails, hostel, a waterfall that falls onto the beach, birds, sea lions, dolphins, etc.

Crater Lake is a walk up and you see it all in almost one fantastic vista. Easily done in a day. Walk up the PCT NOBO from the CRNP Lodge and there's a great overlook of Wizard Island atop a rocky outcrop.

Rainier NP - Sunrise, Mowich, Spray Pk, Wonderland Tr., etc.

Olympic is in the neibhorhood too. It's one of my favorite NPs. I think it's three NPs in one and deserves a place with Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc in the TOP 5 or 10 NPs.

Ther's some really awesome SP's along the Oregon Coast too just north of Cresecent City CA.

++ New Posts ++