WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I need help selecting a tent.

I plan on testing out some overnight hikes in my area (Missouri) well in advance of tackling my goal of the Appalachian trail next spring.

I'm stuck between:

Tarptent Ultralight Shelter Rainbow: http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html
    Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Seed.../dp/B001AZ5YDC
    MSR Hubba Hubba: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Hubba-NX-T.../dp/B00G7H9CAY
    Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 Tent: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Copp.../dp/B00GSYHK14

I guess, I know a few of these are for two people. I'm one person; is the extra weight worth the extra space? I'm attracted to the Rainbow shelters (under $250) because they're so, so cheap and have banging reviews.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I am a huge fan of my Tarptent. I've used a couple of the Big Agnes ultralight tents and was not impressed, especially for their exorbitant (in my mind) prices.

If you are going to use trekking poles then you should also check out the Tarptent Notch. I have a double rainbow which I love, but I have shared camp with a number of folks using a Notch and i was a bit jealous of space to weight ratio. if I were buying a 1 person tent right now I think that would be the one.

Plus Tarptents are made in the USA from American made materials.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The TT Rainbow is an excellent tent, and a great value. IMO, you really cannot go wrong with any of Henry's tents. The real question is, what features are important to you?

The Rainbow gives you side entry, has liner panels available that can make it a bit more condensation-friendly for about a 4 oz. weight penalty, and be set-up free-standing with poles.

You can save a bit of weight with the Contrail, if you are fine with the front entrance, take some simple steps to manage condensation (site selection and a towel, lol), and do not need the self-standing option (you will rarely use it, but it is handy on a tent platform).

And for a weight equal to the Rainbow you could get a Squall 2, with truly enough space for 2. I consider the Rainbow and Contrail single person tents, that can accommodate 2 in an emergency or if the two are intimate.

All good choices.

I love my Double Rainbow, but I second the suggestion to take a good look at a Notch. The best part about the DR is being able to keep all my gear inside with me when the weather gets ugly.

I have the hubba 1 person tent. The tub needs to be higher to protect against rain/high wind. I was in a couple storms that blew the water sideways and in my space. I through hiked with a Northface Slickrock. That was a great tent but weighed 4.5 lbs. I've a lot of tents and tarps. My criteria is protection in strong rain/wind storm, protection from ticks and the weight in that order. I pad $300 for a real light tent that was like sleeping in a car wash. Go by word of mouth and your on criteria.

I like my Rainbow but -- I felt more secure (from seriously foul weather) in my older & smaller double-walled tent. Like most single-walled tents, you have to take measures against condensation. In most weather, the Rainbow rocks. It's quick to set up and very roomy.

I have the TT Notch and Double RB, I thought I liked the RB until I got the Notch and saw how much better it worked for me. Love the Notch, not so happy now with the DR. A lot of how well a piece of gear works for you will depend on how you use it, so, what works for me may not work for you. The issues I have with the DR are 1) low head room on the doors making it hard to get in/out. 2) Condensation. 3) Slanted doors allow rain to come in when setting up in the rain. 4) Angled roof reduced head room. 5) Have to hold the floor when zipping up the doors.

What I like about the Notch: 1) Can hang my pack on one of the hiking poles used to support the tent and have access to everything from inside the tent. 2) Goes up and comes down quick. 3) Can be set up or taken down in the rain without getting the inside wet. 4) Can zip the doors with one hand. 5) Has all the room I need but nothing extra. 6) Weighs 26 oz and fits in my pack's back pocket 7) Less condensation than the DR.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I have the TT Notch and Double RB, I thought I liked the RB until I got the Notch and saw how much better it worked for me. Love the Notch, not so happy now with the DR. A lot of how well a piece of gear works for you will depend on how you use it, so, what works for me may not work for you. The issues I have with the DR are 1) low head room on the doors making it hard to get in/out. 2) Condensation. 3) Slanted doors allow rain to come in when setting up in the rain. 4) Angled roof reduced head room. 5) Have to hold the floor when zipping up the doors.

What I like about the Notch: 1) Can hang my pack on one of the hiking poles used to support the tent and have access to everything from inside the tent. 2) Goes up and comes down quick. 3) Can be set up or taken down in the rain without getting the inside wet. 4) Can zip the doors with one hand. 5) Has all the room I need but nothing extra. 6) Weighs 26 oz and fits in my pack's back pocket 7) Less condensation than the DR.
    You sold me on the Notch. A friend at work has a Notch coming next week. I can get a test drive.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Take a look at the Lightheart Solong6 or Duo as well.

I had a TT Notch for my 2013 thru hike. I see you might pick it and I want to give you a few pluses and minus.

Plus: Very light, easy to set up with only 4 stakes, lots of air flow (+ in the summer), uses trekking poles, double sided entry is real convenient. Easy to pack up, just leave one end steak in the ground, fold the little end poles over and roll up.

Minus: Lots of air flow (- in winter) , can be set up with net only, but that was clumsy without extra line and I never ended up doing it. I had issues with splash coming up under the tarp, but it was usually only minor. Getting the tarp nice and tight was a little finicky at times.

I hung my pack from the pole also using a little line I dedicated for the purpose. This was OK, but I would have rather had my pack inside the tent. Overall I was very happy with my choice, but If I had to do it again (and I might in 2015) I think I might pick one of Judy's LightHeart tents. I really like this one. Its only 2oz more (less if you go Cuben fiber). I REALLY like the idea of bringing all my gear inside the tent. It has a little more interior space and all of the same setup and breakdown benefits of the Notch. Give it a serious look. I am happy with my Notch and unless budget permits, will probably keep it for 2015.

My Notch set up behind the Beer Stein (a must in MHO) with Chin Music's LH Solo off to the side.
    DSC01198.jpg

The best thing about the Notch IMHO is that you can detach the fly from the inner. This allows you to pack away a dirty/muddy inner separate from other items in your pack. Plus you can keep just the fly in an outer pocket which allows you to dry it if wet at stops along the trail.

Cant go wrong with tarp tent. Mine is a strato 2 and comes in at 2.5 pnds. Never had a complaint with it! I force you to buy a TT lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Section Hiker

I love my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 but will probably go to a TT when it's time to replace it.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Lightheart Solong 6!

Images

You might take a quick look at the Tarp Tent Contrail. Some trade offs, but I have 5 tents and this is my go-to tent. It moreof a 1 1/2 person tent and I really like having the option of putting all of my gear in the tent with me, just a pet peeve. I don't think you can go wrong with the Notch and Henry at TT is totally committed to service. One of the best companies........

I have the single Hubba and would not buy another tent. What I like about it is it is self standing. While you may not have the lightest of the light as a tent that uses your trekking poles for supports, it goes up in a couple minutes. I really love my tent.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Tarp tent.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I own the Copper Spur UL1, previously owned the Hubba Hubba, and have also owned a couple of Tarptents (I currently have the Stratospire 2, which is great). You will be happy with any of those choices. The CS and Hubba are truly free-standing, which has its benefits, particularly in places where you can't get stakes into the ground. One of the many benefits of the Tarptents is that they can be put up in the rain without getting the interior of the tent wet. With the others you listed, you have to set up the mesh tent first before you can put the fly on. As far as extra room, if you expect to have a tent partner down the road and only plan to buy one tent, you should not get the CS--it really is just a one person. Not sure about the Rainbow, but I have found other Tarptents to accommodate an extra person, depending on how you pitch it. So if you can only afford one tent, a Tarptent is likely the best choice.

If you do go with the CS or Hubba, which are both fine choices, don't pay the current Amazon price. Since you don't need the tent right away, keep an eye on the many outdoor sites that sell these tents and wait for a good deal. You will eventually find a deal that is way less than the current Amazon price.

I'm still trying to figure out my tent setup as well, never done any kind of serious backpacking so I basically started at square one. I've been really drawn towards the Z-Packs Hexagonal Solo Plus. With all the extras it weighs in at 16oz which is incredible compared to some of the other tents with the same size. The downside to Z-packs is the price is considerably higher than most, but I think it might be worth paying the extra for the reduced weight.

Anybody here used the Z-packs before? Were there any issues with wind/rain? Also, my biggest concern on the trail is Lyme Disease, setting this up on the ground I want to be sure I'm 99.9% tick free.

Images

I use a Tarp tent
    http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html
    just a little lighter then the Rainbow & I have plenty of room.

Mike(Mr. Mean)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++