WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Gear List Help

Default Gear List Help

I'm finding many, many gear lists online, but many of them actually list specific brands, etc.

Does anyone have a basic gear list with things like:

Rain Jacket
    2 Pairs Wool Socks
    A Compass

As opposed to one with wildly specific brands that make me wonder if the rain jacket/wool socks/compass I have are in some way wrong/inferior?

Does one need to go out and buy things specifically designed for hiking, or will a generic gain jacket do/Cabela's generic wool socks suffice? Also: I'm a runner and have a lot of clothing that's fast drying and by nature non-chafing. Would those be suitable garments for hiking? Do I really need to go out and buy special "hiking shirts?" Will some tight running pants do the trick over some long johns?

Journal Entries
    Images

If it works for you . . .

One big difference between a Cabela's brand something and something from a 'hiker' brand (Western Mountaineering, Marmot, Six Moon Designs, etc) is the weight of said item. A tent from Cabela's probably weighs alot more than one from Six Moon Designs. Socks might not be a big difference . . . but a rain jacket might be . . .

Another difference, of course, is price. But, if you take care of you gear, the price of a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag might be worth it (not to mention the weight savings).

Long johns are typically worn for warmth . . . I'm not sure 'if tight running pants' would suffice.

(My hiking pants are actually fishing pants from World Wide Sportsman.)

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    If it works for you . . .
    Indeed-- "hike your own hike," as they say. When looking into others' gear lists, I always try to remember that. A lot of people use gear lists to help them learn more about their choices. If you see five people all using a particular tent from a particular brand, it makes sense to check it out. Learn from others-- that's always worked in the past.

I'm not an avid runner, so I can't say if insulated tights would keep you warm. I can say that when I'm out on my local trails in the summer, I wear exercise shirts (cheap ones from a big discount store) and running shorts (found on the clearance rack at my favorite sporting goods store) when I'm hiking. And my shoes are trail runners I found online.
    Last edited by RodentWhisperer; 05-02-2014 at 22:51.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

When looking at packing lists online, just look at the item, not the brand. The brand can give you an idea of what is good/lightweight/whatever. A lot of my stuff is fairly cheap from Walmart or Goodwill. Everything else came from various places online, mostly ebay and amazon. And of course, several homemade items. Take every packing list with a grain of salt and make your own choices because when it comes down to it, you have to carry it and use it all.
    I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Images

I have a number of gear lists for 3-season, summer and U/L with weights and costs. If interested, please send me a PM with your email address and I will forward.

Good Luck,

Q-tip

Sometimes you will see gear lists with one column for "function" and another to list the specifics. Such as

base layer bottom / smart wool 150 weight
    socks / Darn Tough hiker crew cushion
    etc...

Which is another way of saying:
    this is what it does / this is the specific example I am using to to this

In which case anything that accomplishes the function should work and you would have lots of flexibility to find specific examples that suit your needs (but looking at others list can give you ideas).

Also, there are plenty of examples where non-hiking-specific gear is more than adequate or even preferred:
    water bottle / 20 oz Gatorade bottle from trash
    cooking pot / KMart Grease Pot
    etc...

Images

Yes! Here is a good starting list for long distance hiking, and it can be used for weekend hikes too. This is specific to an AT start in March, so adjust clothing as needed:

The Mountain Crossings Method.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I will offer this. This is for a shoulder season (25-30 to 70) upcoming trip.

I hope it helps.

http://youtu.be/L-w4pjjXUnE
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

++ New Posts ++