WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newfound Gap Northward on the AT

Have my reservations in hand for a section hike thru the northern end of the Smokies in a week and a half. Starting at Newfound Gap and finishing by going down the Chestnut Branch Trail to my car at Big Creek. First night at Icewater Spring shelter (late start that afternoon), second night at Tri-Corner Knob shelter, third night at Cosby Knob shelter, then back to my car the fourth day. Last Labor Day weekend, I did Clingman's Dome south to the Dam with a stay at Derrick Knob and Mollies Ridge shelters. That 13+ mile stretch from Derrick Knob southward was a butt-kicker for me. Is the northern part any easier? I'm especially concerned with the section between Icewater and Tr-Corner shelters. It looks like the only water source in that stection is at Pecks Corner shelter, and that is about 1/2 mile down off the AT. Any recent information on trail and shelter conditions and water along this whole section? How are the bugs? Any other info on points of interest would be appreciated. Thanks.

The north end is significantly easier then the south end. I much prefer the north end, some nice views along the knife edge sections. No water along the ridge, but I doubt you'll be needing that much.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I did this same section (except I started at Clingman's and ended at my truck parked at Standing Bear) and it was a great hike. The last day was a long downhill and was fast for me. Don't miss the side trail to Mt Cammerer (I'll have to check the spelling on that). It's an old fire tower nestled in the rocks. That's somewhere after Cosby and before Davenport shelter.

And, shortly after Newfound, there's Charlie's Bunion. Nice view there too.

When I went in the early fall I found water on the trail just after Newfound, plenty of water at the first two shelters you mentioned and not much other than that. Cosby was closed due to bear activity so I didn't bother walking downhill to check it out. I found a little usable stream on the way down to the shelter after Tri-corner (Peck's?) too. The water source right next to Davenport seemed a little too close to where people were crapping so I bailed in that. Finally, there's plenty of water between Davenport and I-40.

I don't know where you path diverges from the one I took. Sorry. Plus my info isn't from the same season or even from this year.

To my knowledge, there is no water between Icewater and Tricorner near the trail besides Pecks. The section can be deceptively difficult, e.g., a section hiker died of hypothermia on a relatively warm day after hiking Newfound to Tricorner two or three Decembers back, there is more vertical change than you would expect, which can lead to problems for non thru hikers. I still consider that stretch the most dangerous section of the AT for section hikers (not thrus)because of the effects of elevation when starting a hike at 6k elevation. Make sure you drink enough...your body will purge water at elevation, making you think you dont need to drink. You do. The only time I have experienced hypothermia, on a relatively warm day, was hiking SOBO from Clingmans and failing to drink enough because of that elevation trap.

there are 2 reliable water sources between Icewater and TriCorner shelter.
    a) the side trail to the old False Gap shelter site
    b) the side trail to Pecks Shelter

If it is, or has recently been, raining then there are some additional places where you can get water from seepage areas.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Thanks for all the information. Looking forward to this section hike.

Images

there are 2 reliable water sources between Icewater and TriCorner shelter.
    a) the side trail to the old False Gap shelter site

ahhh.....the old false gap shelter site....

i think most people would have trouble finding this old site, but like ox says----it is a reliable water source......

Images

The section between Derrick and Mollies was surprising tough especially in comparison to the rest of the Southern AT.

++ New Posts ++