WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bag liner

Journal Entries

Default bag liner

ho
    as anyone used just a .bag linero a hike

Default bag liner

Of course. Added warmth with your bag on cold days and perfect on hot summer Virginia days. Also good for sketchy hostel beds, random couches, etc...I keep mine in my day bag in non-trail life in case I need to crash somewhere. -NPR

I did. Once. It was ok at low elevations in Idaho and Wyoming. I froze in Grand Teton & Yellowstone N.P. in mid July. Lesson learned: take real sleeping gear.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

It can give you some flexibility, but if you're made of money: it's always lighter to have the appropriate sleeping bag.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

I use the rectangular model as a liner for my summer bag, just in case. On nights that are 65 degrees or warmer, I sleep in this on top of my summer bag. It adds practically no weight, at under 5 ounces. With my insulated air mat, I am comfortable sleeping in only the liner on 65+ degree nights. In fact, I won't bring my summer bag unless it is going to get below 60 degrees, I will just wear tshirt, underwear and socks in the liner. If you had a 1 lb down top quilt, this liner, and an insulated air mat, you would be good to go down to at least 50 degrees if not colder. Trailpartner is convinced this liner added 10 degrees to her bag when it was 25 degrees out... http://www.amazon.com/Micro--Silk-Sl...9194136&sr=1-1

I have the Thermolite Reactor. I use it for a summer bag and bring it along as an emergency winter bag extender. I've never had to use it in the winter. It's great in the summer. It's light and really really roomy.

Has anyone tried to make one of their own?

Journal Entries

What temperature range would you recommend?

i picked one up in erwin TN and actually carried it my whole hike. in the summer it was nice to just use it when it was to hot for my 20 degree bag.
    Doing What You Like Is Freedom , Liking What You Do Is Happiness

Journal Entries
    Images

I use a Sea to Summit Sleeping Bag Liner (Silk/Cotton Blend). For warm nights its great. However, I really got it to protect my bag from my dirty self and clothes.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

A woman from Montana that started 4/8 at the Falls NB dumped her Bag and went with two liners instead after mailing stuff home from Neels Gap. She is tougher than me. I asked her about the weather on her home planet and if she liked it here on Earth, got a bit of a smile. She was having a bag sent to the Dam for the Smokies but she was warm enough in Ga and NC.

Don't add any real warmth..dead weight IMO. Rather boil up some water to sleep with.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    Don't add any real warmth..dead weight IMO. Rather boil up some water to sleep with.

Same thought. I'd choose a light weight bivy before I carried a bag liner. Bivy adds real warmth, protection from rain and helps keep the bag clean, in shelters or otherwise.

Last spring I bought a flannel 50℉ bag/liner @ Dick's Sporting Goods. There was a thread here on the topic, and one of the posters worked at Dick's and recommended it. It is quite light, small, well-made, and I've been delighted with it. The kicker is that it was only $19. It's been one of the best backpacking buys of my life and I've been hiking for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by stillatit View Post
    Last spring I bought a flannel 50 bag/liner @ Dick's Sporting Goods. There was a thread here on the topic, and one of the posters worked at Dick's and recommended it. It is quite light, small, well-made, and I've been delighted with it. The kicker is that it was only $19. It's been one of the best backpacking buys of my life and I've been hiking for over 30 years.
    Looked on web ...don't see anymorewho is manufacture as im looking for cheap light summer option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Has anyone tried to make one of their own?
    I bought a texsport sleeping bag from dicks or amazon, can't remember. It is a thin fleece thing for about 20$ that claims to be a 55 degree bag.

I cut the zipper off, threw it out and pinned it up into a tapered shape, more mummy-ish. I sewed the bottom three feet together, and ran a seam around the stuff I cut, to keep it from pulling apart. it's easy to wash if it gets funky, and feels so much better than sleeping on plain old nylon. It goes with me on every trip.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looked on web ...don't see anymorewho is manufacture as im looking for cheap light summer option

http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Fleec...words=texsport

Heres the one I used. Dicks was $15 but didn't have to pay shipping. I had two, still have one with the zipper on it somewhere.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I have a silk liner for mine, supposedly it adds 9 degrees. It's REALLY good at keeping funk out of your bag, and also doubles as a (very) lightweight bag for those 95 degree summer nights (PA & NJ, I'm looking at you). Packs super tight, weighs only a few ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Fleec...words=texsport

Heres the one I used. Dicks was $15 but didn't have to pay shipping. I had two, still have one with the zipper on it somewhere.
    Is this more substantial than a sea to summit reactor? I have a reactor but don't think it's sufficient as a stand alone as it's paper thin.

Saltysack et al.:

Sorry I didn't get back sooner––too busy to get on this site regularly. I got it out and checked. First, it's fleece, not flannel (they feel the same to me, so I often mean one when it's the other). Also, I think IT WAS only $14.99 at Dick's. I looked for that WB post from last year. It was sometime in spring, but I can't find it. I also cannot find any manufacturer's tag on the bag. It must be some off brand. My zipper's been fine. I wish I'd known that Dick's wasn't going to continue carrying them. I would have bought 3 or 4. So far it's held up well. It comes in a little sack of 3 parts: fleece on the bottom end (same color as the bag) then stuff sack black material, then mesh in the center, then back to stuff sack black with a draw string at the top. I took it on a trail crew weekend and used it a few weeks ago. Nearly all the trail crew were old-timers with many years experience and they were impressed with it.

I wish you the best in finding this apparently now discontinued item. It does seem like certain great gear appears only to disappear forever, like those excellent Desert Rat Hats that Sequel put out years ago. Must be the backpacking version of Murphy's Law or something!

Sorry I can't be more help...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++