WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eric the Black or CT Data Book?

I'm torn between carrying Eric the Black's pocket atlas or the Ct Data Book for my thru-hike. I used Black's atlas for the JMT last year and it worked well with the Harrison maps. Has anyone used either or both of these atlas options? thoughts? suggestions?

I don't get why you would have used both Black's Atlas and the Tom Harrison Maps for the JMT. I have both and I would have used one or the other. The Tom Harrison Maps if the snow was bad, and Blacks Otherwise. I have also used Black's PCT Atlas for the entire PCT and have his Tahoe Rim Trail atlas. Based on all of these, I would have no issues just using his CT Atlas assuming that its similar to all his other products.

I don't know anything about the CT Databook so I can't comment on it. However, from looking at the website, the maps included don't look like they're topos maps in which would be a deal breaker for me. I'd rather have a good map then text. The product looks more like something meant to be a summary of another guidebook.

Either will work. The CT is easy to follow.

The CT is supported by The Colorado Trail Foundation, which is a 501 C3 non-profit organization. It was built by, and is maintained by volunteers. All proceeds from the CTF Data Book go back into the trail. All proceeds from Eric The Black's book go into his pocket.

I have not seen Eric's CT materials but have seen his PCT materials. If his CT materials are anything like the other trail materials I've seen of his expect his CT materials to be just the basics with a wt saving low volume condensed design approach. If you are a topo map needing person/hiker IMHO I've not been impressed w/ Eric's maps in that regard. The CT Data Book is just that a diminutive shirt pocket sized (less than 3 oz)data book. It's like the AT Data Book but 1/4 the size and probably 1/4 the wt. Personally, even though I'm an ULer too, as I think Eric is, if I was to thru the CT again I would just roll w/ the CT Data Book and the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps(I only carried as many as 3 of these at a time and I already owned most of them from other hikes so didn't have to buy but 4 more of them to cover the CT seamlessly in excellent topographical detail) rather than taking map pages from the CT GUIDE BOOK, as I did on my last CT thru. The CT Guidebook is heavy and the maps aren't topographical(not detailed enough to me). I felt I needed the more detailed Nat Geo maps as I thrued the CT in Oct so was concerned about snow and bailout options if necessary and I summitted several 14ers as side hikes. Eric doesn't usually hike that way doing many(any?) side trips from what I can tell. From what I've seen the Bear Creek CT maps are excellent as well.

Images

Eric the Blacks. We had both last year. Eric has great maps, the CT data book has more data points, but I would choose the maps. Yes, the CT is really easy to follow, though we took the western Collegiate route, it was not in Erics book. It was the first year it was part of the CT. since I wasn't thrilled with the maps in the CT book, I picked up the Latitude 40 map for the section - I think we would have been lost without it, there was most definitely a signage problem near Tincup. I think some of the trails have been moved this year, the Latitude 40 map had ALL the trails in the area as well as where things would be moved to.

Heartfire, did Eric's CT maps provide the big picture w/ bailout options, additional coverage of nearby 14ers, etc as did the Lat 40, Bear Creek or Nat Geo maps? I'm asking. Eric's maps don't usually cover such things.

If you want really good maps, the CT Mapbook is fantastic - way better than anything else.

Images

Erics book does have some of the other trails on it, but honestly, sometimes it was hard to differentiate some roads from trails. - from what litespeed said, if you have good maps, go with the data book.

Images

I did the CT last year. I used pages from Yogis guide + Bearcreek's maps and CT Data Book from CT Trail Foundation for the CT portion of my trip + Nat Geo maps for a hundred mile loop I added to the hike. I like the data book for planning the inext few days while on the trail. Had Erik's guide and could have gone with only it but I preferred the items from Colorado Trail Foundation. I found Yogi's guide really helpful for planning transport and resupply. Now that I've planned several hikes in the 300 mile range, I have a greater appreciation of the work that goes into putting her guides together and keeping them updated.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

King of the world, in training.

I used Eriks maps last year because the CT books were not yet in print when I went, and I wanted to study beforehand. I bought the CT databook and I will use that this year. The CT databook is more reader friendly if you have read and studies the guidebook (which is a must to have beforehand anyhow.) My vote is for the CT version.

The rerouted trail sections in the Collegiate West is something to consider when it comes to map selection, that is, for anyone planning on the Collegiate West. I have the CT Guidebook and Databook, neither of which reflect the rerouted section. I also have the 2013 map pack which does not reflect the rerouted section (although the new 2014 map book does).

I recently purchased the Latitude 40 Salida/Buena Vista map which does have the rerouted section and I also have Bear Creek's updated waypoint file which I have studied on my computer. On the trip, I plan to carry the CT data book and the relevant CT Map Book pages for each section. On the segment between Twin Lakes and Salida (on the CW West), I will carry just the Latitude 40 map.

I like the Latitude 40 map because it shows a wide area, but the mapbook is definitely more detailed for the CT corridor.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Is it even necessary to carry maps to thru-hike the trail? I've got the CT Databook and don't plan on any side trips except for hitting a few towns for resupply and the roads needed to get there are noted in the Databook maps. I plan on only taking a compass for navigating.

Also, Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. Thanks for the valuable info.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Is it even necessary to carry maps to thru-hike the trail? I've got the CT Databook and don't plan on any side trips except for hitting a few towns for resupply and the roads needed to get there are noted in the Databook maps. I plan on only taking a compass for navigating.
    The databook maps are very basic and I doubt that they would be useful for navigating with compass. For the most part the trail is well marked and there were thru hikers who only had the databook. But Personally I find real maps worth the cost and weight.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

eric the blacks has the town maps which can be helpful but not necessary as most people have a phone and you can always ask around, but if you're on some kind of schedule and can help you pre-plan your visit into town. However it does not list dispensaries. the topos are nice, but not necessary. the CT databook, is clear concise and the maps are easy to glance at and go, which is about all you need most of the time. Also had the GPS ct app, it's an alright backup and can verify where you are. We also had a gps unit with the track, but the gps broke. In my opinion, the ct databook is really all you need.
    See ya when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    The databook maps are very basic and I doubt that they would be useful for navigating with compass. For the most part the trail is well marked and there were thru hikers who only had the databook. But Personally I find real maps worth the cost and weight.
    I should also note that the CT Data Book does not cover the current route of the Collegiate West. I'm not sure whether a new data book is being planned. Of course, hikers can follow the old route of the collegiate west but would be missing out on some of the highlights of the trail in my opinion.

I would recommend Eric the Black's CT Atlas. Only resource that you need to plan and hike the CT. I know that he does intend on a 2nd edition which will include the western route. But, I am not sure when this will be coming out.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Or you could go paperless..... Hikers had remarkable success with the Guthooks application this past season. It is a digital form of gps, databook and maps combined and is availble for Iphones, Ipads, and Android phones. It includes the new parts in the CW.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Or you could go paperless..... Hikers had remarkable success with the Guthooks application this past season. It is a digital form of gps, databook and maps combined and is availble for Iphones, Ipads, and Android phones. It includes the new parts in the CW.
    I used Guthook's app on the PCT and only looked at paper in my tent at night when I was bored. It was awesome and the best bang for the buck of all the money I spent on the trail, hands down.

Hoping his CDT app is of a similar caliber.

The CT app was very useful and I definitely recommend it. I'm not sure that I'll be comfortable with just electronic app, but it would simplify things quite a bit for the PCT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++