WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I need to invest in a good sleeping bag that will be good through March-August...

Are there any suggestions? I'd prefer it to be superlight and something that will be convertible from winter-summer, if that's even possible.

You probably need to give additional information for posters to give you some sound advice. Consider the Cadillacs of bags, such as Western Mountaineering. Great long-term investment. I have the Megalite 30 degree bag and love it.

Images

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Dual-Te.../dp/B004N5ZXAU

Both Eureka and I think Kelty offer dual temp rated bags. I dont own one so I can not offer personal experience, but I dont see that you'll get much weight savings out of a dual temp bag. If you look at the specs at the Amazon link you are looking at 3 1/2 to 4 lbs bags. It also looks like a minimal differences in the temp ranges.

I think that you would be better served with dedicated winter or 3 season bag and then a summer bag.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Garlic
    Images

Good advice so far. Get the best one you can afford and you won't regret it (as long as you actually use the thing). Sometimes the Marmot Helium goes on sale for under $300. Consider a down quilt for summer use. That's one of the better gear purchases/changes I've made.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Marmot helium has been great...true to temp rating w thermals.... $275 from backcountry on sale a year sgo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Additional sleeping bags Feathered Friends Montbel; quilts katabaticgear, undergroundquilts.com, enlightened equipment just to name a few

I have the Marmot Helium Long - a good bag and one that is often on sale. However, it is on the roomy side for a skinny person and only good to the mid 20s for me, without additional insulation layers. If I could make my sleeping bag decision over again, I would go with a slim fitting zPacks bag to save nearly a pound over the Helium, albeit at a significantly higher cost.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Look for a down bag in the 20-F range, about 2 pounds, with a full length zipper. It'll keep you warm enough in March, and it can be unzipped and used as a quilt in warmer weather.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++