WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail Friends wanted

I am going to attempt a through hike, starting late june (Denver-Durango). For fun and safety reasons I am looking for people / a hiking partner who have similar plans. Fairly fit and moderately experinced ( mostly 1 - week trips). If your plans are similar, let me know in a private message.
    Thank you in advance!
    Greetings from Germany,
    Ronja

King of the world, in training.

That is when a lot of the people start the trail. You shouldnt have any problems finding people to shadow or camp around. The majority of the people are going from Denver to Durango, so it might seem like there are fewer people on the trail than there actually are. I know that last year whenever we stopped, people were passing us at about 3 per hour in the morning.

While you are from Germany and are perhaps not familiar with the USA, my advice is to not worry too much about your safety. In my opinion your risks include:

1) Getting struck by lightning - very low risk, and even lower if you are smart.
    2) Getting eaten by a bear - extremely low risk, and even lower if you do not sleep with your food.
    3) Getting murdered - extremely, extremely, extremely low, particularly if you avoid crazy people when you hitch-hike into town
    4) Heart attack - your risk is proportional to your health profile (it's not worse in the USA than Germany)

Other than those risks, you really only need to worry about minimal risks like sunburn and sprained ankles.

Go to Colorado. Enjoy the trail. Use your brain. And, do not worry excessively about the risks because they are relatively minor!

++ New Posts ++