WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i got some too plus kenyon's johnnycake meal
    Likewise. The manager of the grist mill was so pleased we came out there just to check it out he gave us a bag on the house.
    He was stationed in Germany in the 1970s. He recognized my wife's accent (Polish/German border) and they started speaking some German together. Helps that she is cuter that I am, too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default Speak like a RoDilunder...

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    No sir, Rickb....though Del's is certainly popular and a definite RIism, Autocrat is the be-all end-all of RI beverages (a swallow will tell you).
    What else can you use to make a coffee cabinet?
    For those of you who are wondering what Teacher is talking about, I post the following:

http://www.cbheller.com/drinking_a_c...nder_47756.htm

Drinking a Cabinet:
    How to Talk Like a New Englander

You sit down in a Rhode Island ice cream shop, and the server says, “Want a cabinet?” Is she offering you something to drink or a place to store your backpack?

Of course, New England is part of the United States, and English is the native language. But there are some New England words and expressions that you won’t hear anywhere else in the country.

Take “cabinet,” for example. In Rhode Island, cabinet is the word for milkshake – ice cream, milk, and flavored syrup. People say it’s called a cabinet, because you make it in a blender from the kitchen cabinet. In the rest of New England, a milkshake is called a “frappe” (pronounced “frap”).

Rhode Islanders drink coffee milk, too. It’s not coffee with milk – it’s milk flavored with sweet coffee syrup. It’s so popular that in 1993, coffee milk became the official Rhode Island state drink.

If someone in New England offers you “steamers,” would you know that they’re a kind of clam? What about a “quahog” (pronounced “ko-hog”)? That’s a clam, too.

Have you heard the expression “happy as a clam?” That New England saying means you’re especially pleased. The full phrase is “happy as a clam at high tide,” since sand-dwelling clams are comfortably covered with water when the tide is high, hidden from people and other predators.

New England has other unique food words, too. Submarine sandwiches are often called “grinders.” Some people claim that’s because you need a strong set of “grinders” – teeth – to eat these big sandwiches. A “lobster roll” is another type of sandwich – chopped lobster meat mixed with mayonnaise, served on a hot dog bun.

Want to try some “johnnycakes?” They’re cornmeal pancakes. No one knows for sure where the name “johnnycakes” came from, but according to one theory, the word derived from “journey cakes” – what early settlers called the cornbread that they ate when they traveled.

Not all New England expressions have to do with food. If New England kids call something “wicked good,” it’s great. Instead of going “into the basement,” New Englanders go “down cellar.” And they drink water from a “bubbler,” not a water fountain.

So if a New Englander says, “I think a cabinet would be wicked good with these grinders,” just answer “So do I!”

Carolyn B. Heller is a travel and food writer based in Vancouver, British Columbia. She lived in New England for 25 years, and she still thinks it’s a wicked good place.
    ------------------

Didn't we do this before on another thread???

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

RI-diosyncracies deserve multiple mentions. But the author neglected to include and explain "wieners", and repeated left the "r"s on the ends of words like blendah, bubbla, steamahs, and cellah. Shameful oversights.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

A “lobster roll” is another type of sandwich – chopped lobster meat mixed with mayonnaise, served on a hot dog bun.

Not just any bun either. They are only found in N.E. The buns are flat on the sides so you can "buddah" them to grill

there are three sizes of quahogs the first which is the smallest is called a littleneck, then come cherrystones which are medium size and finally the “quahog” (pronounced “ko-hog”)Very large version of the cherrystone. Quahogs differ from actual clams because they have a very thick almost roundish shell. Real clams or steamers are thin shelled, oval shape with a neck or syphon that sticks out from between the shells. Once steamed you pull the clam from the shell, belly and all and then peel the membrane from the neck, dip in melted buddah with a little vinegar. The larger quahogs are generally for chowdahs and stuffed quahogs or Stuffies and can also be used in clam cakes. I am heading back to MA. in just over a week and going to chow down and of course bring lots back. Just FYI, If you get fresh littleneck, cherrystones or quahogs, you can freeze them in their shells uncooked and they will stay fresh for up to one year. Just don't thaw before steaming, place them in the steamer frozen. This idea I found out about last time I was there and think it's "Wicked Pissah"

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I love me some Corn Dodgers!

Images

And please people, if the only fried clam you ever tasted was the 'clam strips' at HoJo's. then you have never really tasted a fried clam.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    And please people, if the only fried clam you ever tasted was the 'clam strips' at HoJo's. then you have never really tasted a fried clam.
    Absolutely! Come to RI....we may not have mountains, but we have seafood!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I must have been displaced as a young man. I have been making and drinking what RI's call "coffee milk" for years. Now it may not be the exact same mix but it is close enough. Leftover coffee, milk, Herseys chocolate "slurp" and ice. Kind of makes me a kindred spirit of sorts or at least a wanna be.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Funny, but this mix of coffee and milk has become a favorite drink of mine, as any belly picture would show, but here we call em Latte's. I gotta cut down, less milk more coffee.

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh you guys....not the same at all. I'll send you some

Oh you guys....not the same at all. I'll send you some
    ya mean it's it's own thing...I'm lost.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ya mean it's it's own thing...I'm lost.
    These are what we bring to folks on our visits.....a little of RI. A VERY real thing!

Spring Trip Download 1 2011-12-31 073.jpg

FRIED CLAMS MOST DEFINATELY HAVE TO HAVE THE WHOLE BELLIES. I don't understand clam strips. They are very dry without the bellies. Just remember to soak them over night to syphon the sand out or you may break a tooth.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

These are what we bring to folks on our visits.....a little of RI. A VERY real thing!

definitely not what I served you when you were here, hehe, I love local or regional stuffs.

Journal Entries
    Images

Like Boost in South Jersey? I have a jug here next to my fridge.

Like Boost in South Jersey? I have a jug here next to my fridge.

Awesome, and yellow corn meal Jonny Cake with corn niblett's or jalepeno's and sometimes sweet, sometimes not.
    And Bean Soup, got to have the bean soup. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

We love ours. Almost enough to turn us Yankee...almost.. :P
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I am just on my way down to Newport so my daughter can sail SAIL NEWPORT YOUTH CHALLENGE.
    I will have to check this out. Thanks.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I am just on my way down to Newport so my daughter can sail SAIL NEWPORT YOUTH CHALLENGE.
    I will have to check this out. Thanks.
    IF you have time, do the Cliff Walk. Seven miles R/T and a great way to see the shore.
    http://cliffwalk.com/ (Part it is currently closed due to hurricane damage. Due to open up again fully soon. The open part is still rather scenic, though)

Stop by Flo's clam shack for some quintessential RI food.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flos-...k/245316810509

If you want more upscale, go to the White Horse tavern and see the oldest restaurant in the US!
    http://www.whitehorsenewport.com/
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++