WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I have to quit my job in order to hike next year so I won't be earning any money. So, if anyone wants to throw some money my way that would be totally awesome. Also, how do I get the government to give me a paycheck while I'm gone? I paid them A LOT of money this past year so they should owe me some too, right?

Sorry that people on here are relatively bitter about this, but I've worked my a$$ off for a long time to be able to go next year. Most of us have. Someone using government money and handouts to accomplish the same task will tend to rub people wrong. I had a lady get angry at me at the gas station over the weekend because I wouldn't give her my debit card so she could have a tank of gas. I didn't know this lady. Is this what society has come to? She was literally giving me a guilt trip because she couldn't afford a tank of gas. I guess she was too poor to drive, but too proud to take the bus.

It's frustrating that I'm up at the crack of dawn every morning to get to work while others just live with their hands out. I understand you have medical issues, but honestly, to reiterate what everyone said:

If you can hike the Appalachian Trail, you can go to work every day and earn it just the way the rest of us did.

Quote Originally Posted by kennajm View Post
    I have to quit my job in order to hike next year so I won't be earning any money. So, if anyone wants to throw some money my way that would be totally awesome. Also, how do I get the government to give me a paycheck while I'm gone? I paid them A LOT of money this past year so they should owe me some too, right?

Sorry that people on here are relatively bitter about this, but I've worked my a$$ off for a long time to be able to go next year. Most of us have. Someone using government money and handouts to accomplish the same task will tend to rub people wrong. I had a lady get angry at me at the gas station over the weekend because I wouldn't give her my debit card so she could have a tank of gas. I didn't know this lady. Is this what society has come to? She was literally giving me a guilt trip because she couldn't afford a tank of gas. I guess she was too poor to drive, but too proud to take the bus.

It's frustrating that I'm up at the crack of dawn every morning to get to work while others just live with their hands out. I understand you have medical issues, but honestly, to reiterate what everyone said:

If you can hike the Appalachian Trail, you can go to work every day and earn it just the way the rest of us did.
    Aside from the first paragraph, I think you did the best job stating it without seeming too aggressive... But I agree with everybody in here. I'd be hiking all over the world right now if other people paid for it. That would be a dream for me.

My main issue here, however, is this new 'it's kinda for a charity' thing. We've seen a few like this where the proceeds go to an undecided blend of personal and charitable accounts... That's just a poor practice. Tell me how much of my money goes to the charity, or don't invoke their name to solicit the donation.

When you get to the first trail town with five thousand donated dollars in your account do I get to choose what you order?

Images

Ok folks after researching gear this is so far what I am looking at. Since I have narrowed my gear list down I have updated the GoFundMe page and I am clearly stating how much will go where and to who.

Just to be clear I am expecting my cost in gear to come to no more than $1500 and to donate the rest. The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida will get $1,500 and The Appalachian Trail Conservancy $1,500.

Images

This is a list of what I am looking at for gear of course if I find it cheaper or get some donated the difference of the money will go to the charities.

Appalachian Trail Gear List

Golite Jam 70L Backpack 31 Oz. $80

Platypus Big Zip LP Reservior - 3 Liter 6 Oz. $35

Gossamergear Shoulder Strap Pocket Set of Two 1.7 Oz. $30

Mountain Laurel Designs Pack Liner/Food Bag 1.2 Oz. ea. 2 for $5

Kelty Cosmic Down 20 Degree 550 Down Sleeping Bag 43 Oz. $50

Sea To Summit Adaptor Coolmax Travel Liner 9 Oz. $45

Hennessy Radiant Double Bubble Pad 10 Oz. $30

Tarp-tent Sublite 18.5 Oz. $179

ZPacks Bear Bagging Kit 3 Oz. $45

Mountain Laurel Designs UL Ground Cloth 2.4 Oz $8

Black Diamond Storm Headlamp 25 to 160 Lumens 3.9 Oz. $30

Black Diamond TRAIL BACK TREKKING POLES 20 Oz. $50

Sawyer MINI Water Filter 1.3 Oz. $20

Sawer MAXI-DEET 100% DEET 2 Oz. $3

Clothes

DriDucks Frogg Toggs Rain Jacket & Pants 10.2 Oz. $14

SmartWool Balaclava 1.8 Oz. $32

Cabela's Insect Defense System™ Zip-Off Pants $80

Cabela's Insect Defense System™ Jacket $65

Cabela's Boys’ Insect Defense System™ Knit Shirt $30

Ultimax™ Cool-Lite Mid Hikers Socks 2 Oz. $11 ea. pair

Polypro Glove Liners - Black, Medium 1.1 Oz. $7

Mountain Masochist II Hiking Shoe 21.6 Oz. $60

Cooking, Toiletries & Accessories

Monatauk Gnat Stove 1.6 Oz. $40

GigaPower Fuel 3.9 Oz. $5

Vargo TITANIUM TI-LITE MUG 750 4 Oz. $28

Lightload Pack Towel 36x60 .6 Oz. $10

Ultralight Travel Toothbrush .65 Oz. $3

GSI Outdoors Cathole Sanitation Trowel 3.1 Oz. $5

Lifeline Trail Light Dayhiker - 57 Piece 4060 First Aid Kit 3.7 Oz. $8

Vargo Titanium Spork .3 Oz. $5

Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castile Liquid Soap 4 Oz. $5

Gossamergear Rite in the Rain Notebook .6 Oz. $6

Total Ounces 146.45 Oz = 9 Lbs. 1 Oz.

Total Price $939

Images

Like I posted earlier I will live on the trail with my Check. And so everyone knows I started working at the age of 14 on Christmas night midnight to 8am and worked till I was 32 when I was disabled so yes I am asking for help but I am not putting a gun to anyone's head and if I can't make my hike in 2015 I guess it will be later in my life it's just hard to save anything on $10,000 a year I like to see any of you live on that and not ask for help. One thing I know I will never give up on my dream. He'll I don't go out to dinner or movies or anything on that budget.

All I have to say is good luck. It really scares me that you'd even consider this. If I didn't feel comfortable going to work every day I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable carrying 25 Ibs on my back and climbing up mountains all day. Atleast at work I'd have a decent shot at a hospital if an emergency did happen. I appreciate your dream, I do. I have the same dream. You may need to rent some equipment from REI and go spend 3-5 days doing 10 miles up mountains and see how feasible this is.

I'll be honest, as someone who will be out there next year it scares me that I may run across you in an emergency state that could have been prevented. I'm not trying to deter you, but rather I'm being honest. Someone breaking a leg is one thing, but an epileptic having a seizure and falling off a mountain is another. The AT is hard. Much harder than any job I've ever had. Don't forget that.

I bet the op would trade his checks to be healthy again. Just saying.

Images

Doctor has told me that if I don't over do it and rest when I need to I shouldn't have a problem, I am not going to hike 20 or more miles a day my plan is no more than 15 miles in a single day I have averaged it out and if I start on March 12 all I have to do is 10 miles a day and be completed by October 12

Journal Entries

Had a friend in middle school with epilepsy. He had a seizure and fell off a dock into a lake.

Fortunately someone was there to pull him out of the water, he was unscathed.

There are a few spots on the AT where a seizure at an innoportune time would be.....not good.

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    I bet the op would trade his checks to be healthy again. Just saying.
    I'm sure, and I'm trying to be understanding of that. I just can't wrap my head around the concept of being able to climb mountains all day, but not being able to work. I don't want anybody to go through anything like this. In this case though, something doesn't add up.

I'm sure, and I'm trying to be understanding of that. I just can't wrap my head around the concept of being able to climb mountains all day, but not being able to work. I don't want anybody to go through anything like this. In this case though, something doesn't add up.

I have the same feeling. Not knowing the op.......I have to ask why doesn't the op work? It seems that if the op can hike, they can work.
    Perhaps that's what gets others riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando1925 View Post
    Doctor has told me that if I don't over do it and rest when I need to I shouldn't have a problem, I am not going to hike 20 or more miles a day my plan is no more than 15 miles in a single day ...
    Rando1925,

My mail carrier hikes less than 15 miles a day and makes considerably more than $11,000 annually. Plenty of individuals with epilepsy who do not consider themselves disabled.

What I am trying to say in a non-judgemental way is that you are challenging what I think when someone describes themselves as disabled. How exactly are you disabled? How is is that this disability would not be an issue when hiking day after day after day? How is it that this disabilty prevents you from holding a job?

Is this an elaborate hoax to raise peoples' ire?

Rando Leon Diaz

August 30, 2012 near Crawfordville, FL

43 more days So I can at least say I made it to 50 after having 4 Heart attacks when I was 45.. Just anxious and been counting down the days.

So, if this is true (straight from your FB page) you have epilepsy and have had 4 heart attacks. If you've had 4 heart attacks you have no business hiking 2200 miles up and down mountains. Still though, this whole thing just seems completely fishy. From what I can tell you were planning to go 2017/2018 until you saw this article:

http://www.appalachiantrials.com/min...-sponsorships/

After that it seems like the internet lit up with your posts about wanting someone to fund you. I think I have to advise people to stay away from this though, something seems terribly off but if your history is true it would be simply irresponsible on our part to send you on your journey after 4 heart attacks.

Doctor has told me that if I don't over do it and rest when I need to I shouldn't have a problem, I am not going to hike 20 or more miles a day my plan is no more than 15 miles in a single day I have averaged it out and if I start on March 12 all I have to do is 10 miles a day and be completed by October 12
    As soon as you hit that first 1000ft climb followed by a 1000ft decent followed by a 1500 ft climb you have already over done it. For some that is all before breakfast. has your doctor ever been hiking on the AT.

My best friend in middle school had epilepsy because he fell out of a car when he was younger. One day we were swimming across a river to an island and he went into a full blown seizure. I had to grab him and swim back to shore. I was able to put something in his teeth to stop him from biting his tongue and then I just comforted him until he came out of it. One of the scariest moments of my life next to almost drowning.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

Having a legally blind daughter who cannot drive a car , or describe a person's physical features more than 15 feet away but can hike mountains all day long....I beg to differ here.

She however has her dream to get a degree in animal sciences and hopefully get hired by a company that doesn't discriminate due to her handicap.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Having a legally blind daughter who cannot drive a car , or describe a person's physical features more than 15 feet away but can hike mountains all day long....I beg to differ here.
    Tom Kite was legally blind and a professional golfer. Your daughter sounds like a champ, and doesn't seem like she's using her handicap to solicit money from the Internet or to prevent her from chasing her dreams both professionally and personally.

This statement probably came out a little wrong, and we're not really comparing the same things. But, that being said, blind people work jobs every single day. I've worked with blind people. And if she were here asking for money to hike yet saying she was unable to work, she'd get the same argument.

Looks like a decent gear list, but those prices ??? Kelty Cosmic Down for $50, titanium spoon $5....are these used items? If they are new then that's some awesome deals!

Images

For anyone wondering yes I have Epilepsy yes I have had 4 heart attacks 1 major one on 12/1/2007 and 3 minor ones in 2008 and can give proof of all of them thru hospital records. And crashed my car due to seizure when I was 31. But just because this is the hand I got dealt in life doesn't mean I have to stop dreaming of doing something. And if you research it most people with epilepsy have less seizures as they get older.

When I was 37 I gave up disability to go work again and my seizures started up again in a major way and yes I can prove this also with the social security office records. Doctors have told me I cannot work simple as that and yes I pray everyday I would be able to work. I would be able to live a normal life go out to movies dinner or just anywhere but I can't do that cause I have no money to waste after rent, utilities and household expenses at $800 a month.

SO YES I WOULD RATHER BE WORKING AND PAYING FOR ALL MY **** AND NOT HAVING TO ASK FOR HELP. So if anyone wants records of anything will gladly ship you copies, I AM NOT A THIEF, SCAMMER OR ANYTHING ELSE AND THERE IS NOTHING FISHY HERE JUST MY SORRY ASS TRUTH HAVING TO ASK FOR HELP. AND JUST CAUSE YOU HAVE EPILEPSY, HEART ATTACKS OR ANYTHING ELSE DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS AS LONG AS YOUR DOCTOR SAYS ITS OK.

SO YES I WOULD RATHER BE WORKING AND PAYING FOR ALL MY **** AND NOT HAVING TO ASK FOR HELP. So if anyone wants records of anything will gladly ship you copies, I AM NOT A THIEF, SCAMMER OR ANYTHING ELSE AND THERE IS NOTHING FISHY HERE JUST MY SORRY ASS TRUTH HAVING TO ASK FOR HELP. AND JUST CAUSE YOU HAVE EPILEPSY, HEART ATTACKS OR ANYTHING ELSE DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS AS LONG AS YOUR DOCTOR SAYS ITS OK.
    As someone who's Father passed away at 53 from his second heart attack, I wish you nothing but the best. His doctor said he was fine 6 weeks before he went. I just hope that nothing bad happens to you on the trail and that nobody living their own dream has to see it if it does happen.

If you would like to prove that you aren't scamming us (I'm sorry, the Internet has made us all skeptical), feel free to publish those documents to .pdf and attach on this thread. It may give someone the peace of mind to actually help you.

As someone that's been very close to someone with heart problems, I can't in good conscience help you on such a strenuous endeavor. I'm sorry for that. Good luck.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++