WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Colorado Snowpack

I just wanted to update folks on our current snowpack levels, for anyone thinking of starting a SWBO on the CT this year. We just recently got pounded again, 1-2 feet of accumulation in the mountains (6" here at my house in Denver).

Here is a map:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/...epctnormal.pdf

The concern area involves the cyan, blue and purple triangles NE of Leadville where the CT gets high. I think these high snow levels, at least at this point, would make a mid-June start problematic. I still think late June should be OK. Who knows, if we get no more May snow at all (highly unlikely), things might clean up a bit faster.

I have a buddy from Ohio coming out on or about the 18th to hit the trail from Denver, probably a tad early. But he has the luxury of having me come get him in, say, Breckenridge and going off to do some other things for a week or so while the trail clears up a bit.

Just an FYI, I'll update in a few weeks. We're heading up to the Leadville area this weekend for some climbing, I'll get an actual look at the conditions, though I expect to see nothing but white right now.

JMT 2012, 2013, CT July-Aug 2014

Thanks for the update. We have a July 26 start date. Cannot wait to leave So Cal and hit Colorado. Hopefully make it permanent one day soon!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by K6VOI View Post
    Thanks for the update. We have a July 26 start date. Cannot wait to leave So Cal and hit Colorado. Hopefully make it permanent one day soon!
    Cool, you'll have zero snow problems, maybe a flake or two up very high during any storms, nothing on the ground to worry about. I'm usually gone on weekends, but holler when you get close and if per chance I'm home on Saturday the 26th (I'll know a few days in advance), I'd be glad to save you cab fare to the trailhead and give you a ride. (I assume that's your plan; skyride bus from DEN to downtown, light rail to Littleton-mineral station, cab from there to trailhead).

Snowpack this year seemingly similar to 2011 when thru starters before around July 4 encountered snowpack they didn't want to deal with. Problem in 2011 (and other deep snowpack years) was Segments 6-10 and some fixed-start-date thru hikers chose to skip that section temporarily. They got a ride from Kenosha Pass to Halfmoon Creek and resumed their hike from Segment 11 thru Segment 28 to Durango. Then they got a ride to the section they skipped and completed Segments 6-10 and the entire CT. Might be a strategy worth considering for anyone with a fixed start date that is, say, in mid or late June.

I was able to push my start date back to June 25th but unfortunately thats about as far back as I can knock this bad boy. Ill have to keep my eyes and ears peeled as I really don't want to have to A. Skip a few sections or B. Backtrack

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BensMusicHiker View Post
    I was able to push my start date back to June 25th but unfortunately thats about as far back as I can knock this bad boy. Ill have to keep my eyes and ears peeled as I really don't want to have to A. Skip a few sections or B. Backtrack
    I think you'll be fine starting then; the snow melts VERY FAST in mid-late June, and it will be 5-6 days before you're in the heaviest snow territory. Plan on some wet feet now and then, though. Might see you around a bit, as my buddy is giving the CT a try and I'll be with him here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Cool, you'll have zero snow problems, maybe a flake or two up very high during any storms, nothing on the ground to worry about. I'm usually gone on weekends, but holler when you get close and if per chance I'm home on Saturday the 26th (I'll know a few days in advance), I'd be glad to save you cab fare to the trailhead and give you a ride. (I assume that's your plan; skyride bus from DEN to downtown, light rail to Littleton-mineral station, cab from there to trailhead).
    Thanks Colorado Rob! We are renting a car at Denver airport and driving to a Littleton hotel about 10 miles from the trailhead. Have to stop at REI and get gas canisters. Then dropping off rental car in Littleton (they said they would give us a ride to hotel). We DO need a ride to the trailhead early Sat morning on July 26 - we were going to try and secure a taxi. Not sure if that would be convenient for you? We were going to try and be at the trailhead by 6:30 am as I am assuming it will be hot in Section 1. If you have any info on rides from our hotel in Littleton to the trailhead I would love to hear them! The hotel gave us a name to call also.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by K6VOI View Post
    Thanks Colorado Rob! We are renting a car at Denver airport and driving to a Littleton hotel about 10 miles from the trailhead. Have to stop at REI and get gas canisters. Then dropping off rental car in Littleton (they said they would give us a ride to hotel). We DO need a ride to the trailhead early Sat morning on July 26 - we were going to try and secure a taxi. Not sure if that would be convenient for you? We were going to try and be at the trailhead by 6:30 am as I am assuming it will be hot in Section 1. If you have any info on rides from our hotel in Littleton to the trailhead I would love to hear them! The hotel gave us a name to call also.
    Alas, as I said below, chances are we'll be gone on a weekend, we nearly always are, sorry, BUT there are occasional summer weekends when we're home, so when it gets close, give me a jingle on here and I'll let you know for sure. I don't know any local CT free shuttles, just myself. I don't think a taxi ride will be that expensive. Sometimes we don't leave for the weekend until Sat. morning, so maybe, just maybe (and we're always up very early, 5:30-ish).

Since you have your own wheels, I recommend stopping at the downtown REI flagship store for your canisters. Excellent store, as big as the original one in Seattle. There is a bar right next door, "My Brother's Bar" that has excellent sandwiches (and great beer choices). Someone told me it was the oldest bar in Denver. Corner of 15th and Platte. Park in the free REI lot if there's room (SW of store), else in the pay lot NW of store (couple bucks for 2 hours). "Littleton" is huge, not sure where you're staying, but if you don't want to mess with downtown REI, there is an REI on Wadsworth near Belleview that is closer to Littleton that would have your fuel. There are a few "Sports Authority", "Dicks" and "Big 5" sporting goods stores around that should carry your fuel as well.

I agree starting squirrelly-early is the thing to do. 6+ miles of hot Waterton canyon you will cover before the day gets too hot, then you'll be climbing to where it's cooler (shade, higher altitude). Keep in touch and I hope you thoroughly enjoy Colorado!

thanks!! awesome info!! I figured a taxi would not be too expensive, we are staying at the Homewood Suites on Shaffer, so I think we are not that far from the trailhead. We will check out that REI and the Bar!! Thanks again!!!

++ New Posts ++