WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Walking from Manitou station

Going up to Bear Mountain Memorial day weekend for my first wilderness camping experience. Anyone familiar with walking from the Manitou station? https://www.google.com/maps/@41.32933,-73.9670299,17z

I was wondering if you can cut through the small gap from Manitou woods road to Bear Mountain highway or do I need to go all the way down Manitou station road.

Don't want to cut through anyone's yard :-P

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Groncho View Post
    Going up to Bear Mountain Memorial day weekend for my first wilderness camping experience. Anyone familiar with walking from the Manitou station? https://www.google.com/maps/@41.32933,-73.9670299,17z

I was wondering if you can cut through the small gap from Manitou woods road to Bear Mountain highway or do I need to go all the way down Manitou station road.

Don't want to cut through anyone's yard :-P
    No Good!! That may be along the tracks and that is not a good idea. Walk up the hill to rt. 9 and turn right along the road to the Bear Mountain Bridge. The shoulder is wide.

Journal Entries

If you are looking to go the other way towards south mountain pass you would turn left and follow manitou road up. sorry for the lower case, i'm in a hurry.

Journal Entries

South Mountain Pass would be your closest AT trailhead at 1.3 miles, the Bridge section is 1.8 miles (but be more direct to Bear Mtn)

One of the issues you have at Manatou is that the train station is quite a bit lower then Rt 9d and the bridge. The Station road gets you up to that. The was you are thinking would be a steep bushwack and perhaps even into a restricted area.

There is also bus service from NYC to Bear Mountain Inn.

I was just there this weekend and can defiantly tell you to be careful walking on route 9 since there can be a lot of traffic and the shoulder is pretty narrow at parts. I was lucky to get a ride and I'm glad I did after that grueling walk down from Bear Mountain. I took NJ Transit to Harriman which is 19 miles south of Bear Mountain and walked along 17 to the state park and then to Bear Mountain which wasn't to bad of a walk. Next time, I'll bring more money so I can get a cab to Peekskill which has a better train station with express trains and more departures at more frequent intervals. A cab to the bridge is 10 or 15 dollars.

++ New Posts ++