WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have usually just used plastic sheeting like in drop cloths you can by from Lowe's or Home Depot and just cut to size, usually about an inch or two smaller than the actual footprint of the tent. Pretty durable and much less expensive, rolls down pretty compact. I've never actually had to replace one but never used it for the distance either. Not sure about the weight as I don't actually have a scale, but I would think lighter than Tyvek or the one designed by the manufacturer. You can usually find it in smaller sizes than this link if you go to the actual store. Could even cut out a couple and mail yourself a replacement in a resupply box along the way. Would be easy to replace at any local hardware store also.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...1#BVRRWidgetID

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I tend to think that a base weight of 10 or 12 or 16 makes no difference. I'll try anything at all if it actually works better. But will polycro lie flat without being babied. Isn't it a bit like trying to spread out a piece of saran wrap?
    I am always looking for lighter and better. I do like the workabilty of tyvek. I am waiting for an answer to the saran wrap issue. DOes anyone else use gg polycro

Images

I realize that the discussion here is regarding foot prints, but since some are also talking about polycro I thought this video from Chad/Stick's Blog about a polycro tarp might be of interest --

igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Polycro is the same kind of material they make heat shrink wrap from. Think of a piece of cellophane, but one that's nearly impossible to stretch, poke or tear. It's the same stuff you can buy at home depot to shrink wrap your windows and sliding doors in winter.

I couldn't stand the Tyvek. Just never packed down small and was heavier than I wanted a footprint to be. Try the polycro. Totally worth it.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Polycro is the same kind of material they make heat shrink wrap from. Think of a piece of cellophane, but one that's nearly impossible to stretch, poke or tear. It's the same stuff you can buy at home depot to shrink wrap your windows and sliding doors in winter.
    I've always used a piece of 2 to 4 mil polyethylene, basically cut from a dropcloth--at least once from one that had been used for painting.

I have more than enough of this Polycro heat shrink to cut a footprint for my one-person tent. I'll have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I realize that the discussion here is regarding foot prints, but since some are also talking about polycro I thought this video from Chad/Stick's Blog about a polycro tarp might be of interest --

Thanks tuck. that is very interesting. You dont have a follow up review from his shake down do you.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post

I couldn't stand the Tyvek. Just never packed down small and was heavier than I wanted a footprint to be. Try the polycro. Totally worth it.
    Just wondering what is the differance in packing down tyvek and poly. In the video poly looks mighty stiff. The more you use tyvek the softer it gets. Does poly become more plyable the more you use it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Thanks tuck. that is very interesting. You dont have a follow up review from his shake down do you.
    I dont recall Chad posting a follow up on the polycro tarp, but he is a member here and maybe he will stumble on this thread and share his thoughts.

Also a Google search for both "polycro tarp" & "polycro ground sheet" turn up some good results, especially some threads on BPL.

Also Gossamer Gear sells polycro ground sheets -- http://gossamergear.com/shelters/she...th-medium.html
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I'll weigh in with the no-footprint crowd. Never used one, at least not for backpacking (maybe once or twice for road-camping.)

Journal Entries
    Images

Zacichev: I had read all these types of comments before and I appreciate the folk who sally forth without a footprint. Me I use one as the tent just cost me too much and I just know the wear and tear on the floor is mitigated by the footrprint. So I vote for the footprtint and they are so light nowdays that is not too much of a sacrifice to carry one. I also use it to sit on when I take breaks and all at times. So it comes in handy. Have a fun hike.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Just wondering what is the differance in packing down tyvek and poly. In the video poly looks mighty stiff. The more you use tyvek the softer it gets. Does poly become more plyable the more you use it?
    The polycro used for footprints is akin to very thin cellophane, so it's not stiff at all.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++