Images

Default Osceola Nat'l Forest Recommendation Needed

I need recommendations for an out and back, three day trip in the Osceola National Forest. This is for four adults and two dogs, dispersed camping. We're old and slow, so we're looking to hike in a max of 3.5 miles, stay two nights and hike back out. I understand we can disperse camp anywhere, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for a decent, tree-covered spot with a water source. This will be our first trip to the Osceola National Forest.
    Thanks.
    Sailor

Images

Hey, Sailor ! I checked out the Osceola Nat'l Forest and found out it was only 3 hours away from Valrico. If I could pile on with your question from above:

1. Water sources in the Forest?
    2. Parking areas? Car and/or motorcycle?

Thanks for letting me pile on. Hope your hike goes well. I think I'm going to plan one for mid-June or so, after school is out. Update your thread with your trip, please.

Looking forward to the replies.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

aka Kudzu
    Images

Let me see if I can kill two birds with one post.

Camping options in Osceola are somewhat limited. Based on the desired mileage I'd be inclined to park near the Ocean Pond Campground. There's a small lot (5-6 cars) not far from the trailhead. A word of caution, though. Earlier in the year we removed the 310-ft boardwalk through the cypress. It's probably still wet (short walk to find out). If it is and you don't want to do that you can roadwalk back out to 250A and cross I-10 to pick up the trail again. The distance should be right around 3.8 miles from OP to Osceola Shelter.

Water sources aren't readily available. There is a small creek at the shelter which I've taken water out of before. That's really about it in this section. The only other reliable water source is West Tower but that's about 7 miles. I'd carry enough for the two days.

As I mentioned, there is a small lot outside of the campground and I wouldn't expect to have any issues parking there. If you want a really short hike (or to stage a vehicle) you can park at the Turkey Run trailhead (about a mile from the shelter).

In this image, the red arrow points to the section that's likely to be wet. The orange shows the roadwalk.

This shows the complete route (from FR268 to the shelter...indicated by the tree).

Last edited by JaxHiker; 05-18-2014 at 14:24.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Has anyone hiked this section lately? Any concerns with firearms hunting season open in Florida right now?

Really getting an itch to get out and spend the weekend outside -- too little time and money to make a run to the AT from Valdosta, GA -- and this looks like a possible option.

Images

I am remiss in not thanking you, Jazzhiker, for that terrific suggestion. We may use it on our next Ocala trip. We ended up the last time going from Pat's Trailhead to Hidden Pond and had a wonderful time. We were almost alone and the weather was great. We hope to return there. Here's a link that gives some detail: http://floridahikes.com/florida-trai...to-hidden-pond .
    Wooflee90, as noted in that linked I just added, it's deer season Nov-Dec in Ocala so wear orange.
    Sailor

++ New Posts ++