WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sea to Summit Spark SPL-

Anyone try one of these?
    http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/188

12 ounces for the 45 degree, 16 for the 35.
    Love my APEX quilt, but it gets silly to carry it much past 45. Safe, but not warm to mid thirties.

Thinking of getting the 1 or 2. Been looking for a dri-down and REI sale is making this one make sense. My existing 35 degree has long since been confiscated by the missus.

YES- S2S tends to optimistically rate their stuff- but these are EN rated. Looks like a winner.
    Also- my understanding is that 850 drydown is 900 fill prior to treatment. Ounce for ounce the fill looks comparable or a bit lighter, it seems they use a variable loft thickness fill to keep weight down.

Thoughts welcome! Hands on reviews slim to none.

The 1/3 length zipper could be a problem in hot weather. No good way to vent. Also twice as expensive as a good quilt rated to 45-50 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynate View Post
    The 1/3 length zipper could be a problem in hot weather. No good way to vent. Also twice as expensive as a good quilt rated to 45-50 degrees.
    Yar- Got the good quilt- even made it myself.
    There is an itchy little spot though between summer and early shoulder season, and true shoulder season this bag might fill nicely. The zipper is the only big ding, as it's nice to flag a foot out, but that 35-45 bag is a tricky one to find at this weight.

A specialized task for sure- but for a speed hiker especially- this seems like a nice fill in bag when the quilt gets a bit too drafty- and it makes little sense to carry 12 ounces of sleeping clothes to make the quilt work when you can carry a tiny little bag instead. Also will make a great summer bag for my wife- who is chilly even in the quilt up to 65.

The only tough debate- the 45 or the 35 degree...

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

Yea, I tried on a large 45. It was a bit snug in the chest area, for me. I dont need snug for a warm wx bag. I also dont need a hood. My first thought was to change out the zipper for a full zip. It looks like it could be done easily. It has sewn thru baffles and there is no zip gaurd.

I ended up getting a Traveller. Its much more versitle. Its reversible. You can position the zipper left, right, top or bottom. It can unzip to lay completly flat. Its a basic simple design, cheaper, and almost as light. Both bags pack down pretty small.

For size reference, my winter bag is a WM Alpinlite.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

++ New Posts ++