WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water sources at Bob Bald/The Hangover

Brand new to the forum, so please pardon me if this thread is in the wrong spot.

My wife and I are planning on a two night trip in June with the first night camping at either the Naked Ground campsite or, preferably, that campsite just below The Hangover. Does anyone know if there are reliable water sources at either location during this time of year?

Our second night is planned for Bob Bald and I am aware of a spring just down the trail from the summit that comes out of a pvc pipe in the ground. I have also heard that this source can be iffy.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any information!

Cheers!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Images

Not sure about reliability but water source at naked ground is about 0.1 down Slickrock creek trail.....go down trail, look to the left, don't take first trail but second one, go past the hog waller of a spring and there's another spring right there...

for hangover, look for the big rock on the way up to overlook from clearing, look to left and see a tree cut to a stump, then go downhill from there..depending upon flow, you may have to go down a little further...

bobs bald----there's a spring up on the bald somewhere but I've never found it but rather have used the PVC spring down the trail a bit....

Images

What he said. Welcome to the forum.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Excellent! Thank you both very much! For us, we'd rather camp at the Hangover spot rather than the Naked Ground as we'd like to catch the sunset from the Hangover. Not that we're opposed to camping at Naked Ground...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I was up on Bob Bald a couple of weeks ago. There was plenty of water coming out of the pvc pipe. It's right next to the trail about 1/2 mile from Bob Bald. I also found the spring up on the Bald. It's right on the Bald at the end of a'n unmarked short herd trai. It also had water.

Ah! Excellent! We'll definitely be sure to look for it. Thank you!

Images

The PVC spring on the Stratton is on the southeast corner of the bald under the fir trees.

Maybe it has happened, but I've never found it to be dry.
    Last edited by Cadenza; 06-05-2014 at 19:12.

I just got back from a Bob trip and here's the spring right on top of the mountain under the fir trees to the east---

Bob Spring Pic #1

Second Bob Spring Pic

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    I was up on Bob Bald a couple of weeks ago. There was plenty of water coming out of the pvc pipe. It's right next to the trail about 1/2 mile from Bob Bald. I also found the spring up on the Bald. It's right on the Bald at the end of a'n unmarked short herd trai. It also had water.
    I remember several years ago I was on the Bob camping in July and went down that little water trail whistling in a hippie bubble haze when I suddenly stumbled on this fellow right on the spring trail---

Busted me out of my bubble.

Images

That's a beautiful specimen!
    I love how they can sometimes be a bright GOLD color in the sun.

Images

Anyone checked that water source beside the trail 0.5 from Bob Bald? I was told by some hikers they couldn't find it. I've never seen it dry and it is right beside the trail so I assume they just missed it somehow.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I remember several years ago I was on the Bob camping in July and went down that little water trail whistling in a hippie bubble haze when I suddenly stumbled on this fellow right on the spring trail---

Love the colors in this shot, damn thing looks 3D. Sssssss

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

Dang!!! That thing is beautiful! And thanks, everyone, for the additional info regarding the spring on the Bald. We're heading out this morning, and after last night's storms, I daresay there's probably plenty of water in the areas.

So we got back from our little Bob Bald trip Monday afternoon and we had a blast! Our daughter loved running around up top and we pitched our tent just off the trail to the left of the summit marker in a little grove of trees. It was awfully windy Sunday night, but the temperature wasn't too chilly. It was just right. And the water source up on Bob was plentiful. Anyway, just wanted to confirm what Tipi and others assert with the source at the top. Thanks again, everyone!

THX everyone on pinpointing that spring location on Bob Bald.

Timmmmber!

++ New Posts ++