WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Mine the other planets later?
    The saying used to be 'Pluto first', we all know what they did to poor Pluto, not even considered a planet anymore, just something wandering around at the fringe of the solar system, Earth just better take a lesson from that and watch it, we want all planets treated equally.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Encourage shelter use (minimize impact area), discourage stripping forest of wood for thermoelectric chargers, add a degree of safety by allowing emergency recharging opportunities for hikers, rangers and maintainers, allow hikers to go further before resupply due to low power (recharging at night would be great as no extra time is spend waiting) so more pleasant hiking/resupply experience, getting data now on a small scale on how effective they are for future consideration or 'disconsideration'.
    In what way would solar chargers encourage shelter use and minimize impact? Especially considering the reality that a significant portion of the hiking population already chooses not to use shelters, doesn't carry electronics, or has planned for charging. How would it reduce impact if hikers simply stop to charge and then move on to camp away from a shelter?

How would solar charging stations discourage the collecting of wood for thermoelectric charging, when the wood is already being collected for camp fires and wood burning camp stoves. How common are thermoelectric charges among hikers carrying electronic vs those simply carry charging packs or effective battery management?

How would a solar charging station allow hikers to go further before resupply? Especially in light of the fact that hikers generally resupply every 3-5 days, regardless of electronics.

How will exposed plastics and wiring be protected from rodents and gnawing critters?

Oh... and this...
    I accept this as your opinion, a opinion I do not share. And since we don't currently have a solar shelter you have no evidence to state this any further then your opinion.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

this starchild person seems to be all about electronics, apps, chargers, shelters, etc. typical of folks not comfortable in the woods

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The saying used to be 'Pluto first', we all know what they did to poor Pluto, not even considered a planet anymore, just something wandering around at the fringe of the solar system, Earth just better take a lesson from that and watch it, we want all planets treated equally.
    I don't even know what to say, that response was perfect.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    In what way would solar chargers encourage shelter use and minimize impact? Especially considering the reality that a significant portion of the hiking population already chooses not to use shelters, doesn't carry electronics, or has planned for charging. How would it reduce impact if hikers simply stop to charge and then move on to camp away from a shelter?

How would solar charging stations discourage the collecting of wood for thermoelectric charging, when the wood is already being collected for camp fires and wood burning camp stoves. How common are thermoelectric charges among hikers carrying electronic vs those simply carry charging packs or effective battery management?

How would a solar charging station allow hikers to go further before resupply? Especially in light of the fact that hikers generally resupply every 3-5 days, regardless of electronics.

How will exposed plastics and wiring be protected from rodents and gnawing critters?

Oh... and this...
    Bold mine, which is in response to...

you have no evidence to state this any further then your opinion.
    Which we both happy accuse each other of and accept as true, so I say to your questions and issues raised...

Lets find out. Since all we have is speculation and opinion, lets face it no done really knows how it will or won't work in the woods because it has not been done yet. So the way to know is to try it and get that data and proceed accordingly based on data, not opinion.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this starchild person seems to be all about electronics, apps, chargers, shelters, etc. typical of folks not comfortable in the woods
    Except on hike naked day, I do like to wear clothes also when I hike.

Images

Solar power park bench charging stations -- http://fortune.com/2014/06/27/solar-...6pLid%3D495164
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

'Solar Stuff' is definitely not BS but I agree that it just does not belong on the the wilderness trail.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If you want juice, bring a freaking battery. This solar stuff is just BS at this point in time.
    Let me go

He called the idea dumb. He did not call the person dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    That's your opinion, please respect others'. Calling others' ideas "dumb" is disrespectful. External charges are heavy, but sure, an option for some.
    Let me go

You improve battery efficiencty - people will just use more juice and end up empty by lunch time :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The other point that needs to be mentioned is that within the next 5-10 years improvements in battery technology will likely remove the need for frequent charging. So just wait a while and this will be a non-issue (This is based on an NPR tech story I heard a little while back, sorry i don't have a link)
    Let me go

Actually this brings up an interesting point - priority. If we spend money to bring solar to the shelters then the power should probably first be used for improvement of composting and disinfecting waste.

Quote Originally Posted by jj2044 View Post
    why don't we run water and sewer to the shelters so we can have real toilets ? I mean im sure most people would rather crap on a real toilet then in a privy ! and why wouldn't it be easier for someone carry a external charger?? they have ones now that can charge your iPhone 7 or 8 times and only weigh 1.5 to 2 pounds! like Chinmusic said its a dumb idea.

I mean if we are going to dumb ideas, I say 50 inch plasmas, direct TV (with NFL package, of course) in each shelter !!! NEVER have to miss your favorite shows or big games ever again !!!
    Let me go

I would doubt that

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'm willin' to bet ATC memberships would drop off sharply if they allowed this foolishness
    Let me go

Journal Entries
    Images

Solar charging on select park benches in Boston:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...IMN/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Solar charging on select park benches in Boston:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...IMN/story.html
    Wow, those benches go for $3000 a pop. I hope no federal money went into that. If Boston wants to burn cash that is their business.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Wow, those benches go for $3000 a pop. I hope no federal money went into that. If Boston wants to burn cash that is their business.
    Ahh, the infancy... Really?

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Ahh, the infancy... Really?
    Do you EVER have a point or are you a poor man's Matty?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Do you EVER have a point or are you a poor man's Matty?
    We appreciate your interest.

Bumpin'

"the thread of the month"

it's a good read, with some great discussions.

Images

life-in-the-woods.jpeg.........................
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Solar chargers in the shelters?

I don't even want to see the shelters....
    There are PLENTY of trails with no shelters. Just hike one of them. The AT is pretty unique and awesome for what it is, but it is NOT a wilderness experience - far from it. It does not need to be wilderness to have great value, and to offer a very fun experience.

That said, I vote no on going as far as installing solar charging stations. It is plenty easy to keep your gadgets working as things are now. Do not spend limited resources and effort on a project like this.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++