WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Shelters and Solar panels

So, was approached today by a friend and asked my opinion. He wanted to know my thoughts on placing solar panels with charging stations in backcountry shelters. Particuarly SW Va thru Western NC. Without getting too in depth, my thoughts were that shelters in general were often a blight on the forest, however, I do use them on occasion. The addition of the above mentioned equipment might def. draw a different group of people. I would hate to walk up to a shelter to see someone running an electric skillet, radio, hairdryer, etc... I am sure that there are good aspects, as well as negative. What do my fellow hikers think about this?

Virginia Tortoise

They could be prone to theft or vandalism but I would be for them.

Journal Entries

IMHO it's the future and we better not hide our heads in the sand but realize it. What is the difference if someone is running a electric skillet * or using compressed or distilled fuel. It comes from human society, and I think we need to get over that, we in our humanness are part of nature and welcome where we go, but we need to be respectful and responsible to that. We need to discover how we blend with nature, we are not meant to be isolated from it nor are we meant to isolate it from us, there is a balance point.

* an electric skilled would be a very high demand on a shelter's solar capacity so not supporting that specifically, but the point that we come into nature with our technology, we always have always will, we need to accept that and do it in a way that enhances the experience for the next person who comes along and all that follow.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Can we assume your friend doesn't do much hiking? Providing electricity to the shelters is completely out of line with the stated goals of the A.T. It certainly wouldn't benefit "a footpath for those who seek fellowship with the wilderness."

Plus, besides the fact that most shelters are found under dense tree cover that would render the panels mostly useless, you would need a full time caretaker at each shelter to make sure the equipment didn't get stolen. Solar panels and copper wire are worth quite a bit and easy enough to sell with no questions asked.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

They have them at the huts.

By the time they get cheap enough for a backcountry shelter, me thinks they will have improved battery life so much that there would be little point.

Even now, it seems to be solution in search of a problem. Except when you get on a roll with Candy Crush, of course.

Images

I say no. I Backpack to get away from all the electronic stuff of everyday life.

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    So, was approached today by a friend and asked my opinion. He wanted to know my thoughts on placing solar panels with charging stations in backcountry shelters. Particuarly SW Va thru Western NC. Without getting too in depth, my thoughts were that shelters in general were often a blight on the forest, however, I do use them on occasion. The addition of the above mentioned equipment might def. draw a different group of people. I would hate to walk up to a shelter to see someone running an electric skillet, radio, hairdryer, etc... I am sure that there are good aspects, as well as negative. What do my fellow hikers think about this?
    dumbest thing i've heard in a long time

Images

As long as the total output available was low enough, no one's going to be using hair dryers and skillets, etc. Think of a solar panel charging a small battery, with maybe four USB holes in the wall. Enough to charge a few phones overnight, but that's about it. More and more stuff is going to USB rechargeable now. I think there are a few Steripens, maybe some flashlights, Delorme's Inreach... there's more than just phones. I don't see it as a problem. Agreed with the theft issue, but as long as you put them on shelter that are far enough back from a road crossing, thefts will probably be minimal.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I think that they would 100% get stolen within a month of being installed.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Journal Entries

If someone is addicted to their little toys, they will have no problem bringing their own little solar panel. Plenty do just that.
    Batteries last a very long time if you just leave the stupid things OFF. My phone will last weeks and still have a full charge, I only send texts in the evening for a couple minutes.

In 2014, a total waste of time and money.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Where does it end? Lets put doors and wood floors and windows and beds with sheets and bathroom mirrors and whatever else doesn't belong in a shelter in one, better make sure they're landscaped proper. Benton, Myron and the boys wouldn't approve. Lets keep something "old school". This trail has changed so much in the past 10 years, it's getting ridiculous. Just hike, you don't need phones, computers or any of that crap while you are in the woods. Period.
    can't never did

I do use my iPhone both to ran the mapmyhike ap & to arrange a pick up.
    However I am a day hiker only. Thru hikers I don't see wanting to map their hikes continuously.
    i also see the chance of theft being very high too. Let's keep the shelters primative & an escape from the modern world that so many people like about them.

Journal Entries

I have to say NO. I realize that technology is here, now, and somewhat important. But, if it's that important to you, carry the recharging systems with you.

Journal Entries
    Images

So much negativity....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My dad worked for Bell Telephone and badmouthed cordless phones when they came out too.
    It's the future folks.
    It's coming.
    It wouldn't be hard to make them secure IMO.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

I vote we connect the shelters with Western Union Telegraph... How's your Morse code? How about original Morse instead of International....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNjed View Post
    Where does it end? Lets put doors and wood floors and windows and beds with sheets and bathroom mirrors and whatever else doesn't belong in a shelter in one, better make sure they're landscaped proper. Benton, Myron and the boys wouldn't approve. Lets keep something "old school". This trail has changed so much in the past 10 years, it's getting ridiculous. Just hike, you don't need phones, computers or any of that crap while you are in the woods. Period.

Brother, you sound solid.

Images

I see more negatives than positives. How do you protect them from falling branches?, or the hiker who's gonna climb on the roof to brush the snow off the collectors so they can work in winter, or from animals that climb on the roof, and on and on and on. They would be another burden on maintaining clubs that often have a hard time finding volunteers to keep up the shelters and money to pay for the maintenance. I guess my boss is right when he says I'm cynical.

If you want juice, bring a freaking battery. This solar stuff is just BS at this point in time.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++