WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default hammocking with back injury

Here's one for all you hammock hangers. last year I was struck by a truck while riding my bike training for a triathlon, I suffered 3 fractured vertebra and other injuries that had to be surgically repaired, ok now,minor issues sides from sleeping......... so with that being said what advantages would I have in a hammock? primarily a side sleeper now. also im 6'2" and a solid 230 lbs

Journal Entries
    Images

Sleep on a diagonal - try a few nights in the backyard with an air pillow You can get a cheapy before buying a better one. Keep in mind at 230 the poly sheet will stretch thru the night.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My advice would be to tie your hammock level and tight. I have back issues as well, and have been much more comfortable in a hammock than I was sleeping on the ground. Avoid sleeping in a U shape because the hammock is too slack. If it is tight, sleeping on your side is as easy as it is in a bed.

I'm a confirmed ground dweller...Pass

Images

Many of us with bad backs combined with getting older find hammocks very comfortable. However hammocks are not for everyone. Recommend you attend a group hammock hang where you can check out a variety of hammocks. I am normally stomach sleeper in a bed but in a hammock I have no problem sleeping on my back or either side. I own close to 30 hammocks but I find the Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 double layer the most comfortable for me ( 6ft2 and 275 lbs)

I have also been hit by a truck while riding my bike ( I was commuting to work, few broken bones but nothing as severe as your injuries, did 2 and half header into road, split helmet in half but I walked away. EMT and doctors kept asking if I passed out, ,told them no, I remember every G@*D%## second of the event )
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have also been hit by a truck while riding my bike ( I was commuting to work, few broken bones but nothing as severe as your injuries, did 2 and half header into road, split helmet in half but I walked away. EMT and doctors kept asking if I passed out, ,told them no, I remember every G@*D%## second of the event )
    'aaaaaaaamn, glad your ok.

cycling and gymnastics just don't mix well.
    But I'll give you a 9.6 for making it through.

Best suggestion is to head on over to hammockforums.net and ask there. Since it's dedicated strictly to hammock camping there are lots of hangers who live with various types of back injuries. Most have extensive experience at how and which hammocks are best for living with a back injury, some have moved to hammocks full-time because of their backs.

Be prepared, we're a friendly bunch but most of us are dedicated to never sleeping on the ground again...

Images

'aaaaaaaamn, glad your ok.
    so am I. happen over 20 years ago.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

[QUOTE=squeezebox;1887100]cycling and gymnastics just don't mix well.
    But I'll give you a 9.6 for making it through.[/Quote

gymnastics (hammcking) dont mix well either with back injury. I kind of think trying to get comfortable in a hammock(rolling over in the night, changing positions) would be painful. Give it a try, it might just be your ticket to a comfortable nights sleep. For me I tried, give me the ground and an air matress.

Images

I had 2 back surgeries in June and my hammock gives me a great nights sleep. I'm mostly a side sleeper and have no problem with a 10' ridge line. When the doc said I had to stay flat on my back he said the hammock would be good therapy.

Images

Three surgeries here. I tried my wife's hammock. I'll stick to the ground!

I've worried about this as well. Side sleeper and have had surgury and currently a bulging disk. I'm inclined to go ground and air mattress. I may buy one just to try it out there.

Images

While not a dedicated Hammock user, I have slept in them enough to know how comfortable they are. I use a Speer hammock. I have an old back injury that has left a couple of my low back disks compressed. I am a side sleeper who normally changes sides frequently during the night.

When sleeping in a hammock, I seldom turn, and can sleep comfortably on my back or side. When I first started to use a hammock, I mistakenly tried to pitch it tight, to keep it straight. That theory doesn't work. Ed Speer taught me how to properly pitch it (fairly loose, with a definite sag) and lay in it (diagonally, which gives you a nice flat bed). As others have said, Hammock Forums is a great resource.

In the for "what it's worth" category, when I sleep on my back in bed my back usually bothers me upon awakening....never in my hammocks. BTW...if you want a really flat lay you might want to consider a Bridge type hammock such as the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. My take on why hammocks are more back friendly is that I believe the hammock material creates equal pressure on you entire back including the curvature of the lower back. Just my theory but I literally slept 13 hours straight once flat on my back in my hammock and experienced zero back pain.

Cat in the Hat

++ New Posts ++