WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Centennial Trail, Black Hills SD

Will be hiking the Centennial trail in SD soon and was wondering if anyone knows the condition of the trail after last October's storms? I am aware that the section from Dalton Lake to Sturgis has been cleared of downed trees. But, what about areas south of that? Was the damage limited to northern sections or throughout the entire Hills?

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Did you do the hike? how was it?
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Yes, tell us if you hiked the Centennial Trail in SD. This trail which is also a 106 mile bike trail and the 96 mile Maah Daaah Hey Tr in ND linking the various sections of Teddy Roosevelt NPs are two trails I've been interested in. SD and ND are two states I haven't hiked yet.

Sorry for delay, have been busy. Yes I hiked appx. 107 miles of the Centennial Trail. This is my 6th time hiking it. I have done two trips of 70+ miles, 3 trips of appx 107 miles, and I thru-hike of it. This trip I completed it in about 4 3/4 days of hiking. Didn't have the best weather as it rained a lot. But still a pretty good trip. If you have specific questions about it, please feel free to pm me.

Dogwood, I have also hiked the Maah Daah Hey trail in ND.

What conditions should I expect for a late oct/ early nov thru hike?

South Dakota (Black Hills area) had a horrible blizzard last October. Something like 4 feet of snow. Who knows what this year will bring.......

The best weather time in either ND or SD is going to end of August through September. October can be ok but it is definitely iffy. The bugs decrease quite a bit in September and the weather is way less volatile.

I would not fully plan a November hike just too many factors and weather can change so quickly up here. Could I be wrong and we get a late winter sure but I would not bank on it.

Actually, I think that the best time to thru-hike the Centennial Trail is late May to very early Jun. Plenty of water and bugs have yet to come out. End of Aug and into Sep can also be good as well, but water can become problematic. I would agree with you on North Dakota. In spring and early summer the ticks are horrendous. And, by then the stock tanks probably have water whereas early, from my experience, most of them don't.

++ New Posts ++