WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default bus stations in ny city and boston ma

on my next section hike starting next week i will be leaving nashville on a greyhound bus,this time i must go through bus stations in ny city and boston
    ma,i have a phobia about getting lost and missing my bus or losing my gear
    are bus stations in in these city,s very hectic neo

The Port Authority in NY is a busy place. Can be hectic. South Station in Boston runs pretty smooth. Don't be afraid to ask for help at info deasks.

The Boston station is pretty easy to navigate. Last time I was there, there was little food to be had though. However, if you go outside the terminal, down by the train platform there is a food court. Just in case you have a layover. There's also food at the stop in Portland, ME.

Port Authority can be a zoo. Lots of food. There's no baggage transfer like an airport though. You shouldn't have any trouble keeping track of your pack. My best advice there is to get in line early. Occasionally, the bus to Boston fills up. But, not to worry, I have seen them add another bus.

Port Authority in NYC is pretty labyrinthine, but just ask around and people will point you in the right direction. For all the bad reputation New Yorkers have, they actually are pretty helpful when asked. As long as they're not in a rush

Port Authority is hectic, but it's actually a pretty cool place. Lots to see. Keep your pack with you. There's a nice bar in the bowling alley on the second floor.

Images

in the past i have been able to pick and choose bus lines to avoid ny city,but on this trip there is only one route leaving daily,i have no chioce,i have lived in 2 very large cities,chicago and losangles,i just cant seem to shake my phobia of ny city,i sufer from anxiety attacks in crouds,i am afraid i will lose it in crowd
    or lose my gear our get lost period in the bus station,looks like i gotta hope for the best,and stay focused neo

I used to be frightened of the Naked City, after visits when I was a kid in the 60's. It is an entirely different place and very hiker friendly. You do want to keep with your gear at all times, but I've heard more horror stories of lost packs at rural stops than elsewhere.

Heck, if it is too crowded with rush hour traffic, see if you can find a pub, drink a few and wait until things settle down a piece.

Images

Neo, the first time I visited New York City, I was also very overwhelmed and taken aback. Everything seemed so wild and out of control, so noisy and nobody took a second to look at you and just rushed on.

But I'm here to tell you... underneath that brusque exterior, New Yorkers can be some of the nicest, most compassonate people you'll ever meet. Yes, you'll see lots of different colored faces and hair. You'll hear more languages than you can imagine are spoken on earth. But did you know this: NYC has one of the lowest crime rates of any major city in the US? That your chances of running into trouble of the urban variety are hugely greater in Miami, Detroit, or even Milwauikee?

How do I know this? Because in order to pursue a really great job opportunity, I moved to New York City in 1986. And lived there until 2000! And I was a sweet little girl from the Midwest, and I got used to it, and you can, too.

Besides which... chances are overwhelming that you'll never even leave Midtown. The Times Square area is so squeaky-clean these days you could probably walk down the street with your wallet hanging out of your pocket and not get it stolen! You'll see more police officers in a day that you probably see elsewhere in a year. They're used to visitors in Midtown, believe me, so please, please, don't let worry or fear of NYC do anything to spoil your trip.

Jane in CT

p.s. Do you know anyone in NYC? If not and if you want an emergency contact very close to the bus station, email me. My husband works in midtown and I could have him be on call in case you run into anything. He grew up in Brooklyn and can help you with most anything the city can dish out.

Neo, when are you going to be at Port Authority?

Images

Had a five hour layover at the Port Authority. Went across the street to a Catholic Church and set on the steps on my pack and watched the show until my bus departed. Oh Yes, A Chicken place was a few yards down the street if you want to eat.
    Rigormortis

Images

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#d21034 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><!-- Start Content Table --><TABLE cellSpacing=20 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right>Print Close Window </TD></TR><TR><TD>Schedule Details
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><THEAD><TR bgColor=#eeeeee><TD class=bold align=left>Location</TD><TD class=bold align=middle>Arrives</TD><TD class=bold align=middle>Departs</TD><TD class=bold align=middle>Layover</TD><TD class=bold align=middle>Carrier</TD><TD class=bold align=middle>Schedule</TD></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>NASHVILLE, TN </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>01:30pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>4662</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>LOUISVILLE, KY </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>05:30pm</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>06:15pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle>:45</TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>4662</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>CINCINNATI, OH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>08:00pm</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>4662</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>CINCINNATI, OH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>08:30pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle>:30</TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>1104</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>COLUMBUS, OH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>10:25pm</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>10:45pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle>:20</TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>1104</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>CLEVELAND, OH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>01:10am</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>1104</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>CLEVELAND, OH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>02:30am</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle>1:20</TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>1604</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>MILESBURG, PA </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>06:35am</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>07:05am</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle>:30</TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>1604</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>NEW YORK, NY </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>11:05am</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>1604</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>NEW YORK, NY </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>12:01pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle>:56</TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>1836</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>BOSTON, MA </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>04:20pm</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>GLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>1836</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>BOSTON, MA </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>06:15pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle>1:55</TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>CLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>0026</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>CONCORD, NH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>07:35pm</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>07:35pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>CLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>0026</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>TILTON, NH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>08:00pm</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>08:00pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>CLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>0026</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>PLYMOUTH, NH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>08:30pm</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle>08:30pm</TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle>CLI</TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle>0026</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=6></TD></TR><TR><!--Location Cell--><TD>LINCOLN, NH </TD><!--Arrives Cell--><TD align=middle>09:00pm</TD><!--Departs Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Layover Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD><!--Schedule Cell--><TD align=middle> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#ffffff cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#eeeeee><TD colSpan=3> </TD><!--Co. Cell--><TD align=right colSpan=3>GLI: GREYHOUND LINES, INC.
    CLI: CONCORD TRAILWAYS
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Print Close Window </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Images

the above post is the bus route i will be taking neo

Quote Originally Posted by neo
    the above post is the bus route i will be taking neo
    Am I correct that you will be in NY on Oct. 9th? ( I read your other thread on departure date). And how long is your layover in NY? The reason I ask is that I live in NYC, and I could hang with you at the bus station. It wouldn't be any inconvenience to me, really.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stupe
    Am I correct that you will be in NY on Oct. 9th? ( I read your other thread on departure date). And how long is your layover in NY? The reason I ask is that I live in NYC, and I could hang with you at the bus station. It wouldn't be any inconvenience to me, really.
    i will be in the bus station only 56 minutes,i just hope i dont get lost or lose my pack crowds freak me out neo

If it's Sunday, October 9th, email me if you want company. Seriously, it's no trouble.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stupe
    If it's Sunday, October 9th, email me if you want company. Seriously, it's no trouble.
    saturday oct 8t neo

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

All the busports at Port Authority are numbered. As long as you know your number, you should be fine. Just don't be naive and trusting.

Images

i bought my tickets today,i will be leaving for lincoln nh friday oct 7th
    neo

++ New Posts ++