Images

Cool Memorial Day Hikes!?

Heading out to do a long weekend on the Citrus Tract later today in the Withlacoochee State Forest. One of my favorite places to hike in Florida. The days will be hot but the nights should be pleasant. Probably won't even need my sleeping bag. Anyone else hitting up their favorite trail this weekend?

I tried to go out to Suwanee State Park but failed to call ahead...didn't realize the river was so high and the trails were so flooded. Ended up stopping in Osceola National Forrest...hiked a few miles but it was also a swamp

One of the nicest parts of the FT is the most northern part to the Alabama state line. It has gentle rolling hills, lots of water. We started in Blackwater state park in Harrold or holt and hiked to hurricane park. There are well maintained shelters every 7 miles in this area, so you don't really even need a tent, lots of water so can camel up and go even lighter weight and the scenery is incredible. And trail angel Peggy Graham is awesome if you need a shuttle.

Images

It was insanely hot that weekend at Withlacoochee. We ended up getting cut off from our water cache by a forest fire! Had to make an emergency side trip to get water at Mutual Mine Campground. Still ended up having to hike 5 miles without water in the blazing sun about 95 degrees out and no breeze. Not really pleasant hiking but it was good endurance training. I'll have to check out north Florida. I've always wanted to do the FT along the Suwanee. I've heard its beautiful. North Florida looks pretty too.

++ New Posts ++