WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Actually paid attention to my poles last night on my walk: the rhythm was each pole going forward with 2 steps of the same foot. I think. Too hard to think about - once I started paying attention, I lost the rhythm.
    The Old Hiker Uncertainty Principle is born
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I'm not quite certain if I should be proud of that or not.

Never mind - I'll think about it tonight instead of my hiking pole rhythm.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Try one pole for a while, see if that's easier or helpful.
    I'm a one-pole hiker myself. Have arthritis in my hands and need to rest them, but don't feel the need for two poles anyway.

In most terrain, I plant the pole once every two steps.

Images

I relate to that.

Hiking poles are not for everyone. If they work for you great, if not then no big deal.

I love hiking poles and have several sets. As my local hiking areas tend to be very muddy I find the poles useful for check the depth of the mud and helping me to balance across the muddy areas. As useful for setting my hammock tarp up in porch mode.

Now my wife...she hates them and will not use them. Of course when there are lots of spider webs across the trail she wants me to go first and I tell her she should have brought her hiking poles..
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I couldn't even tell you what I do with my poles, but whatever it is it feels natural. On flat ground I swing them in much bigger strides and it really gets me going fast. I too find that I hunch more without them.

Lost one in a crevice on Buzzard Rock in PA last week... Spent an hour throwing my bear line into the crevice trying to pull it out with no luck.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Took me about a season of hiking to find my rhythm. When going uphill I swing each pole with each opposite foot (right hand - left foot). The poles tip hits behind me and I can thrust forward with my triceps.

On level ground I move the tip up to just behind my foot when it strikes and lengthen my stride. Still each foot strike with opposite pole. I can really cook it with this setup.

Downhill I swing both poles forward and lean on them to slow me down.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I'm a one-pole hiker myself. Have arthritis in my hands and need to rest them, but don't feel the need for two poles anyway.

In most terrain, I plant the pole once every two steps.
    If you use two trekking poles And use the straps correctly, it will greatly help the arthritis as you rarely need to grip, just rest in the straps.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Took me about a season of hiking to find my rhythm.
    I'm hearing this a lot, that poles take some getting used to. That wasn't true for me. Not sure why -- maybe because I've been skiing since I was a kid?

I started hiking in '75 or so, tried poles for the first time 25 years later, on the AT near Hanover. By the end of that short hike I was sold. Now that I think about it -- I'd done a few winter hikes using poles, but that just seemed entirely appropriate and unremarkable. Using them in summer conditions didn't happen till that Hanover hike.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I'm hearing this a lot, that poles take some getting used to. That wasn't true for me. Not sure why -- maybe because I've been skiing since I was a kid?
    Especially if you're a Nordic skier, and use poles for propulsion as well as balance.

I remember on the AT, a good month into my thru and I was in great shape and making big miles in VA, passing some 'chubby' day hikers struggling up a small hill. As I passed nearly effortlessly, poles swinging in a Nordic rhythm, I heard one say, panting, "I need to get some of them poles."
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

My rhythm is entirely dependent upon what music is playing in my head.

I have used poles for years and rarely use them on flat and level trails, I just carry them on one hand. I find that my pace is definitely slower on the flats using the poles. After awhile switching from using them to carrying them is almost automatic.

Once the terrain gets rough or there a climb up or down I switch to poles and match one pole plant per step.

Contrary to prior advice, I do not recommend using the wrist straps unless you are smooth ground. One fall with a pole strapped to your hand is going to lead to potential wrist elbow or shoulder issues. Unfortunately when you trip, the poles tend to catch in the ground and pivot away from you forcing your arm in an odd direction that doesn't line up where you are going to fall. Without a strap you just let go. I also palm my poles when going down steep downhills which is not possible while using a strap. On occasion I do drop them but I would rather stop and pick them up then blowing out a shoulder.

It's an instinct for me now but I take my hands out of the straps in rugged areas. I use my straps wrong, putting hands in from the top, putting my thumbs at risk if I fell. I just never could get used to using the straps the correct way, which is to place your hands into the loop from the bottom.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I thought that had more to do with the fact we can't know where he is and where he is going at the same time, thus we never know where he will be. ;-)

Sometimes I find myself swinging them in no special cadence. Kind of useless and definitely not in sync with my feet, but then when going up a grade they come right in sync with no thought process. When going down hill, if steep, I plant both poles together at the same time and distance ahead of me and then take two or three step to the poles and then repeat. I am not the most sure footed hiker on the trail and this "Two poles out in front at the same time" helps me keep from kissing the dirt. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

I find using
    one pole (or walking stick) and alternating hands helps keep my hands from swelling.

It didn't take me very long to get used to them. My first long hike with them was over them damn ankle bending, knee twistin, nut bustin Pennsylvania rocks...I needed em!

You hiked trying out both treking poles and a 6-month old Husky. Oh brother.
    Had a Husky once - willing yes, but also wilful and stubborn.
    As for the poles I take them along even though I find the rhythm awkward. It comes and goes but I don't worry about it. The poles make my tarp into a porch/leanto at night so I tolerate them.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I have used poles for years and rarely use them on flat and level trails, I just carry them on one hand. I find that my pace is definitely slower on the flats using the poles. After awhile switching from using them to carrying them is almost automatic.

Once the terrain gets rough or there a climb up or down I switch to poles and match one pole plant per step.

Contrary to prior advice, I do not recommend using the wrist straps unless you are smooth ground. One fall with a pole strapped to your hand is going to lead to potential wrist elbow or shoulder issues. Unfortunately when you trip, the poles tend to catch in the ground and pivot away from you forcing your arm in an odd direction that doesn't line up where you are going to fall. Without a strap you just let go. I also palm my poles when going down steep downhills which is not possible while using a strap. .
    Using the straps Wrong causes trouble, traps your hand, using them CORRECTLY allows your hand to escape if hung, you can go on palm top easily and it greatly reduces hand fatigue by not having to constantly grip.

Sorry Elder, I thinks its regional issue, no matter how you use the straps in the whites and much of Maine, there is potential for injury, I guess its just the difference in terrain. Most of the south on the AT tends to be lot flatter and less rocky, so the benefit gained from straps must offset the far lower likelihood of tripping or slipping.

Peakbagger, Maybeso. I learned on 14-17,000 mountains, and by 25+ years as the Leki rep. YMMV 8)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++