WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Keen's Grip

Journal Entries

Default Keen's Grip

Can anyone share their experiences with Keen shoes and soles in New England?

I was planning on starting my SOBO (in 30 days...WOOT!) with their Voyagers low-cut, but their vibram-ish and "rubbery" soles seem prone to slip on wet surfaces. I love them otherwise. I am reading "Skywalkers" book and he talks of the grip of his Vasques being a major asset in the Whites, so I wonder if I shouldn't switch to my Salomons.

Thanks for the last-minute gear tweak.

Nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Images

I did about 500 miles on an AT SOBO with Keen Sandals. I had no problems with traction but I did wear socks and they got pretty grubby and full of dirt, etc. No blisters. I got sick of the dirt accumulation and went back to runners. I had previously hiked in Bite Sandals for a number of trips where swamp was an issue. I'll stick to runners now.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Keen's saved my butt on the PCT when my foot grew a size wider but I would feel better with something with better grip in the White's.

Hi Nick,

Never tried keens in the whites, but in GA and NC. I used to love thier fit but I fell on my but a lot. Not much for traction.

I will say, if my feet could of delt with it, I would of worn them again. Comfortable........

Floyd

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I did about 500 miles on an AT SOBO with Keen Sandals. I had no problems with traction but I did wear socks and they got pretty grubby and full of dirt, etc. No blisters. I got sick of the dirt accumulation and went back to runners. I had previously hiked in Bite Sandals for a number of trips where swamp was an issue. I'll stick to runners now.
    Thanks for the word; they seem to use the same sole on most of their product line, so this is positive news.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hi Nick,

Never tried keens in the whites, but in GA and NC. I used to love thier fit but I fell on my but a lot. Not much for traction.

I will say, if my feet could of delt with it, I would of worn them again. Comfortable........

Floyd
    Thanks Floyd; this convinces me. I think I will keep them in reserve until after NH.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hi Nick,

Not much for traction.

Floyd
    Agreed; they are nice and wide, and dry fast, but Skywalker's account of the Whites freaked me out, and I have had traction issues in AL and GA!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    Keen's saved my butt on the PCT when my foot grew a size wider but I would feel better with something with better grip in the White's.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that they'd give me more sole support and cushioning than my Salomons, but not falling on my arse has to be top priority.

I never had an issue with grip. Mine were comfortable right out of the box but the adhesive on the sole failed after 8 hikes. As for grip on wet Granite nothing I've ever tried comes close to the Vibram green dot they use on the Limmers (if you have $370 and a year to break in a pair of boots)

++ New Posts ++