WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    It's just a ruze to get into the HOV lane on the trail.
    Do both uphill and downhill hikers need to yield to HOV hikers?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Sorry please explain HOV lane .

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

HOV lane is "high occupancy vehicle"..... its the same thing as a car pool lane. (2 or more people in a vehicle to be allowed to use the special faster lane)
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

i like that. he says "I wasnt trying to fool anyone"....... but then why was he in the HOV with the doll?

If he used the doll in a regular lane, then I could believe him.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    i like that. he says "I wasnt trying to fool anyone"....... but then why was he in the HOV with the doll?

If he used the doll in a regular lane, then I could believe him.
    How about this one?

http://gizmodo.com/5069422/the-muppe...g-police-crazy
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

A true old fashioned folding lawn chair and one of those humongous bulk cans of peanut butter. Like the 10lb one. Both carried by the same guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -This SUCKS...and I love it!
    Chain Saw

Papa D said:

I've seen people actually carry cell phones on the trail. They walk around and look for service - they call their wives and husbands and friends. They even claim them as a necessity in case of an emergency. I can tell you that when I through hiked, I had no such thing - I had a "phone card" for pay phones. A pay phone or borrowed phone is all I need now - - I'd suggest skipping the cell altogether.
    I used to feel that way too. But over the years I've changed my view. Last year in NY where the AT crossed a road some miles away from any town, I found a cooler just inside the woods with water & goodies inside placed there by trail angels (a thru-hiker couple) who lived nearby. The note inside invited thrus to call them. They would drive out to pick the hikers up & spend the night at their place, get to do their laundry, get fed in the morning, and get a ride back to the trail. How would a fortunate thru cash in on this kindness without having a cell?

Pay phones are gradually becoming a thing of the past. Many of the companies who used to own them are just letting them deteriorate. Maintenance costs far outweigh what little money they produce from the few people who still seek them out.

I had no problems getting a cell signal anywhere on the trail from E PA to NH last spring when I did large section. The only time I had trouble getting signal was when I was in a town, Unionville, NY. I don't remember any pay phones there either. Though I didn't use my phone much, it was nice to arrange some shuttle rides.

The times, they are a-changing...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I've seen people actually carry cell phones on the trail. They walk around and look for service - they call their wives and husbands and friends. They even claim them as a necessity in case of an emergency. I can tell you that when I through hiked, I had no such thing - I had a "phone card" for pay phones. A pay phone or borrowed phone is all I need now - - I'd suggest skipping the cell altogether.
    Are there even still pay phones around anywhere? No. Don't borrow a phone, be self sufficient, right?

Times have changed.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

On my first long AT hike in 1974 I carried a muzzleloading .44 cal pistol from HF all the way to the Maine border, then chucked it into a lake. Never shot it.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    On my first long AT hike in 1974 I carried a muzzleloading .44 cal pistol from HF all the way to the Maine border, then chucked it into a lake. Never shot it.
    Prolly wouldn't have fired when ya needed it anyway. Heck of a thumper though.

A canoe! Yup! No BS!

In1980 the family did our yearly hike to sunfish pond in NJ, and here comes 4 guys with a canoe They were not actually hiking the AT, but were on it and did the miles to get to sunfish pond from RT 80. I have seen strange things carried into the deep woods but nothing is ever going to top that.

RUNT ''13''

Taking care of a shelter along the trail you find all kinda stuff left behind , tents, tarps , can food , rope , small bb&q grills and the list goes on , some are thru hikers and some are weekend campers

Quote Originally Posted by runt13 View Post
    A canoe! Yup! No BS!

In1980 the family did our yearly hike to sunfish pond in NJ, and here comes 4 guys with a canoe They were not actually hiking the AT, but were on it and did the miles to get to sunfish pond from RT 80. I have seen strange things carried into the deep woods but nothing is ever going to top that.

RUNT ''13''
    They call that a "portage". It's not that uncommon to carry a boat over land to get to a body of water. Look up Lewis and Clark sometime. Great things have been accomplished with a portage or two.

LMAO! one heck of a portage!

Images

firewood, strapped to their pack, in the pouring rain...

Some say maps, but, I kind of like seeing whats down the trail etc., studying the elevation, figuring out what the peaks in the distance are... Then again I am kind of a map freak anyway. Always loved geography etc. Are they needed? probably not. But, I'll still walk with them.

A folding chair.

It was tiny but I could never wrap my mind around someone carrying something like that, opposed to just sitting wherever you stopped.

Played a trick on a buddy in college, hiked the southern part of GSMNP. His gear list for a mid August hike:
    A REI aluminum external frame pack size:Kids
    A millitary arctic weather sleeping bag
    A aluminum 70's folding chair
    A Gsi expresso coffee maker
    A um..Long, hollow glass bubbling device that purifies smoke...
    I believe thats about it lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Probably 2 things:

My 4 pound, 8 ounce pack I like
    My Timberland waterproof, Gortex boots.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    As stated here, where there used to be pay phones, there is now air. Many to most all of them have disappeared due to the proliferation of cell phones, which conversely means cell coverage in areas that didn't have much coverage until fairly recently. Beyond contact with home, Smart Phones can provide a lot of things when you can get signal. I used mine a few weeks ago to figure out the line of thunderstorms that was passing and if I could finish the climb or should stay down low and avoid lightning. They can be a fairly effective tool today in the great out-of-doors, no different than using other new technologies like hammocks and back packs, unless you are a purist with a bindle stick and a song in your heart.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++